PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used DP-Kit's Node Item Motion plugin?

Carm3D
04-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi,

I am experimenting with the Node Item Motion plugin. What I would like to do (if it is possible) is get the location of an item's UV Map and tack a null object to the item's surface. And align it to the normals of the UV Map too if possible.. Kinda like the Anchor plugin (but I hear Anchor isn't very useful).

I see the UV node, which has "oPos" and a blue vector output... And there's also a UV Map node (standard LW node), which has two scalar outs for U and V. Is there a way I can hook these together to achieve my desired goal?

RebelHill
04-23-2009, 01:45 AM
dont know about the uv part, but you can use the normal/smoothed normal/geoemtric normal, etc to achieve rotation matching... Id like it very much if there was a way to use UVs, as by standard I can only tack to vertices, not between them (faces)...

Anchor btw is AWESOME... but put it in ur scene and saving behaviour goes nuts... makes it pretty much unusable... such a shame.

dnch
04-23-2009, 03:58 AM
try to ask here
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=247604#post247604
lot of useful info / video tutorials

zapper1998
04-23-2009, 04:06 AM
works great....

lino.grandi
04-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Hi,

Kinda like the Anchor plugin (but I hear Anchor isn't very useful).

What do you mean by "isn't very useful"?

Carm3D
04-23-2009, 05:04 AM
I'll give it a try... I was told it wasn't good.

lino.grandi
04-23-2009, 05:40 AM
I'll give it a try... I was told it wasn't good.

I think you're going to change your idea... ;)

Carm3D
04-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I think you're going to change your idea... ;)

Well I've tried Anchor. I haven't changed my idea. There's no way to specify U and V values. There's no way to animate it! I just move it by clicking on any location in the UV Map image. Super weak.

lino.grandi
04-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Well, you didn't talk about the need of animating it.

Anchor is a fast way to visually link an object position/rotation to another object surface using UV data.

It works well for that. But if you need to animate the item position and numerically specify UVs....well, is not the right horse.

Cageman
04-25-2009, 03:55 AM
There are plenty of tutorials around that makes use of Node Item Motion. :)

Anyhow... DPKit has been uptated... Point info now has wieghtmap output and
Item info has index out.

Cageman
04-25-2009, 04:06 AM
dont know about the uv part, but you can use the normal/smoothed normal/geoemtric normal, etc to achieve rotation matching...

Which node do you use to make that happen?

EDIT: As I see it, Spot Info doesn't allow you to select the object you want to take the info from, so I wonder how you apply that to Null through Node Item Motion...

Cageman
04-25-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi,

I am experimenting with the Node Item Motion plugin. What I would like to do (if it is possible) is get the location of an item's UV Map and tack a null object to the item's surface. And align it to the normals of the UV Map too if possible.. Kinda like the Anchor plugin (but I hear Anchor isn't very useful).

I see the UV node, which has "oPos" and a blue vector output... And there's also a UV Map node (standard LW node), which has two scalar outs for U and V. Is there a way I can hook these together to achieve my desired goal?

Not sure... the closest thing I've got is using Nearest Point but it is limiting depending on what you want to achive (mostly usefull for things like boats floating on water or wheels for ground contact).

If you know exactly how you want the motion, you could make a spline in modeler, turn it into points and then make use of windpath + node item motion to get a particle that will travel this path. The cool thing is that if you deform the object, the path will respect that as well.

Thread at SpinQuad: http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25031

The particular video of interrest: http://soldierwithin.home.comcast.net/~soldierwithin/racer_part1.mov

(it may not show you exactly what you need, but it is easy to take this technique and apply it to whatever you want to do).

EDIT: Oh... and... you could try Sticky/Sticky surface. It will do what you want, however it does have limitations as well.