PDA

View Full Version : It takes 10,000 hours to become a genius.

Mr Rid
04-22-2009, 11:27 PM
No one is born with talent.
"… ten thousand hours of practice is required to achieve the level of mastery associated with being a world-class expert — in anything."

http://geniuscatalyst.com/geniusblog/?p=127

'While in Hamburg, Germany, the Beatles played about 8 hours a night, seven days a week in their early days. When they became popular the Fab Four had already performed about 1,200 live concerts, more than many young bands play during their career.'

akademus
04-23-2009, 03:30 AM
So, 40 hours a week multiplied by 52 weeks multiplied by 5 years minus 400 hours of lunch and snacks is what it takes to be a genius.

Cool! I'm a genius :D

Netvudu
04-23-2009, 03:57 AM
lol...

....but there must be some base talent as well akademus :D

*Pete*
04-23-2009, 04:19 AM
im a genious factory worker, used to be a genious construction worker, and a genious husband too...

shrox
04-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Not really, a genius is pretty much that from the start. So the 10,000 hours theory falls apart pretty quickly when applied to Mozart, Newton, Franklin, Shrox, Einstein etc.

RebelHill
04-23-2009, 04:33 AM
And lets not forget Ampere... who was doing abacus style counting and sums as a baby... before he'd even been taught the conept of numbers...

shrox
04-23-2009, 04:34 AM
DiVinci, and hundreds if not thousands more that were never recognized. Tens of thounds probably if not millions over the course of human history.

*Pete*
04-23-2009, 04:49 AM
what i think, is that most of us do have a sleeping talent for some things...its just fate or accident that sets our profession or life on the same path as is our talent.

DiedonD
04-23-2009, 05:08 AM
The compromise in Nature VS Nurture in psychology was that, you are born with facets, and thats inherited. Like Inteligence up to a degree is a facet. But then its the environment that may trigger those facets activity up to their max or min, however it may be perceived to be needed in life!

akademus
04-23-2009, 05:51 AM
It's really simple, actually.
We all do have certain talents for certain things.

In order to be successful in a creative job like ours it takes a bit of talent and a whole lot of passion and hard work. No smart arse cliche can make up for that. We need to recognize our talents and build from there.

I always had a good eye for things, for details and such. I inherited from my mother, a painter, artistic skills and from my father, an engineer, technical skills. When I think of it, it was a sort of faith for me to become 3D artist. When I was 15, I figured that will be my carrier and since then I worked almost every day (sometimes whole nights) for that goal. It's simply knowing your goal and working your way through there.

At this point, when I established myself as 3D artist, I'm still working every day on improving myself.

I couldn't possibly imagine the horror of working some other work while wanting to be something else. Spending the whole life selling car parts and wanting to be 3D artist would count as worse nightmare for me. A life missed! I would feel sorry for people like that.

DiedonD
04-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Then theres even harder work, Scientology, Fate, and sometimes Religion, involved for the ones that have recognized their artistic talents, but dont have an environment to nurish those facets, to get to do them anyway!

Its attempts at trying to tie in the gap between whats inherited and wished to grow in regards to facets, and its abscence in the surrounding environment, that makes a change in that enviromental reality!

In other words, progress is made by such skillfull people that in abscence of an environment to nurish their skills, they have managed to make such an environemnt instead, and thus make a change in that surrounding reality!

They say only the unsatisfied makes a difference in the world. And quite true. Why would the one who has facets, knows about them, and has found a stimulation for them to grow in the environment, want any change at all?!

shrox
04-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Then theres even harder work, Scientology, Fate, and sometimes Religion...

?

DiedonD
04-23-2009, 07:00 AM
?

Oh those are among the few involved in the make of a change in the world, while one who has skills and potential seeks out to create an environment that would alas nurish those skills that one has. Or challenge them.

Like for instance Antibiotics! A scientist had his laboratory not as clean as would be expected. But on a corner of his lab, due to certain chemicals, no bacteria were beeing developed. So he went on eliminating each, and to finally come up with the last chemical that is now known as antibiotics.

Not always what you seek directly has the more significant impact. Sometimes, like in the case of antibiotics, it was found out while looking into some other thing. So, will, luck, fate, faith are mysteriosly involved in it.

But, what Im saying is that the ones to make a change is the ones that want the change the most, and they are usually unsatisifed as it is.

And by unsatisifed I mean, not beeing able to find an enviroenment that would challenge and help the growth of ones inherited facets.

shrox
04-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Oh those are among the few involved in the make of a change in the world, while one who has skills and potential seeks out to create an environment that would alas nurish those skills that one has. Or challenge them.

Like for instance Antibiotics! A scientist had his laboratory not as clean as would be expected. But on a corner of his lab, due to certain chemicals, no bacteria were beeing developed. So he went on eliminating each, and to finally come up with the last chemical that is now known as antibiotics.

Not always what you seek directly has the more significant impact. Sometimes, like antibiotics, it was found out while looking some other thing.

But, what Im saying is that the ones to make a change is the ones that want the change the most, and they are usually unsatisifed as it is.

And by unsatisifed I mean, not beeing able to find an enviroenment that would challenge and help the growth of ones inherited facets.

Being a genius doesn't mean that one wants change. It's just a term that means one has a magnitude more innate ability or talent. Most great musicians don't want to change the world, they just want to play music.

DiedonD
04-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Being a genius doesn't mean that one wants change. It's just a term that means one has a magnitude more innate ability or talent. Most great musicians don't want to change the world, they just want to play music.

And in the process they elavate music!

Making progress!

Like Gergj Kastrot Skenderbeu, the legendar Albanian leader. Who was a millitary strategic genius. He just wanted an opportunity, and environment, certain special conditions to finally use all his strategies in combat to their max.

He didnt want the world to change. But just happen to be in the way of an entire Ottoman Empire, and just by using those inherited combat skills to the max in that opportunity, managed to shift the flow of history, and stop an entire empire, against incredible odds, in a small rocky village of Kruja. And not only after 10 years after his death, where those strategies alas came to be matched.

Its the invisible hand for geniuses and other talents. Just by doing what they want to refine those skills, they get to leave a greater impact, than the rest.

shrox
04-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Not all geniuses care about the improving the world. Many are rather selfish. It's their talent, not the world's.

akademus
04-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Haha!

Here is how it goes. Successful people change the world. Their desire to change makes changes to them and the world around them. One can overcome environmental (and other) environmental problems by sheer determination.

For example, Shrox use to be in deep "environmental" problems which he bypassed by changing environment. His desire and determination to be successful 3D artist drove him into environment that will help him become (or just be) one.

There is no excuse for failure, it's just ones inability to overcome obstacles on the way.

Plain simple!

shrox
04-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Haha!

Here is how it goes. Successful people change the world. Their desire to change makes changes to them and the world around them. One can overcome environmental (and other) environmental problems by sheer determination.

For example, Shrox use to be in deep "environmental" problems which he bypassed by changing environment. His desire and determination to be successful 3D artist drove him into environment that will help him become (or just be) one.

There is no excuse for failure, it's just ones inability to overcome obstacles on the way.

Plain simple!

Actually it was my desire to not be hungry, homeless and generally lost. My generous friends on this forum helped me through a difficult time by parting with some of their hard earned money. That is one reason I offer free models and stuff on here. I'll post some models for the speed challenge as well.

akademus
04-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Actually it was my desire to not be hungry, homeless and generally lost. My generous friends on this forum helped me through a difficult time by parting with some of their hard earned money. That is one reason I offer free models and stuff on here. I'll post some models for the speed challenge as well.

Yes, unfortunately. What I remember and admire is that you didn't wanted to compromise (maybe forever!?) yourself by taking some "other" jobs as you were convinced you can do more than flipping burgers. That's kind of determination that will lead you on your way of being successful artist. :thumbsup:

*Pete*
04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Not all geniuses care about the improving the world. Many are rather selfish. It's their talent, not the world's.

the talent that Hitler had to manipulate and convince people, to make people to like him and to believe him, is bordering genious...

in movies we typically see an angry, red eyed fuhrer screaming at people, but just about all stories about him by people who met him, even by people who opposed everything he stod for, said that he was very charismatic, intresting, symphatic and friendly...when he spoke to massive crowds, everyone in the crowd felt that he spoke to them personally, that he watched them in the eyes and spoke directly to the person, not the crowd.

so his talent in this was propably on a genious level, but as you said..a genious can be selfish, or even straight out evil.

other geniouses can be completely unselfish and care for the world more than self..such as Gandhi.

shrox
04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
the talent that Hitler had to manipulate and convince people, to make people to like him and to believe him, is bordering genious...

in movies we typically see an angry, red eyed fuhrer screaming at people, but just about all stories about him by people who met him, even by people who opposed everything he stod for, said that he was very charismatic, intresting, symphatic and friendly...when he spoke to massive crowds, everyone in the crowd felt that he spoke to them personally, that he watched them in the eyes and spoke directly to the person, not the crowd.

so his talent in this was propably on a genious level, but as you said..a genious can be selfish, or even straight out evil.

other geniouses can be completely unselfish and care for the world more than self..such as Gandhi.

The movie I am working on has some of those lesser known aspects of Hitler. But still, G.W. Bush is an idiot.

akademus
04-23-2009, 08:14 AM
But still, G.W. Bush is an idiot.

hahaha! Nothing beats that!

*Pete*
04-23-2009, 08:28 AM
. But still, G.W. Bush is an idiot.

:ohmy:

if history will show that he was a foreign agent with the intention to destroy USA, i think we will remember him as a genious.

shrox
04-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I used to respect the Office of the President, just because it was the president, until GWB. With Obama at the helm, I am finding that respect again.

WhiteBoy
04-23-2009, 11:20 AM
And on that impertinent note...

adamredwoods
04-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Geniuses created the atom bomb. Is that success?

Tranimatronic
04-23-2009, 11:41 AM
so I am a genius in waiting for renders to complete that arent EXACTLY what I was hpoing for..........

well weve all got to be good at something I suppose.......

;)

jaxtone
04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Time is an illusion and everything you believe is made by free will is already in the plan!

Netvudu
04-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I would tell you which factors create a genius, but none of you, lesser minds, would actually understand it :p

borkus
04-23-2009, 07:56 PM
I would tell you which factors create a genius, but none of you, lesser minds, would actually understand it

I was surprised that it took that long to see that. That gave me a good laugh...

IMI
04-23-2009, 08:33 PM

I'd say so. Technically, yes it was a success, since that's what they set out to do. ;)

But for as horrendous of a thing an atomic bomb is, they learned a whole lot of really useful stuff along the way, in the process.

Stephen Hawking... now THERE'S a genius. And he has an amazingly good sense of humor, too.

Matt Groening... pure genius. :D

akademus
04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Matt Groening... pure genius. :D

You still think The Simpsons are funny? Oh my... :rolleyes:

I'm kidding I still find Futurama great :D

Titus
04-23-2009, 11:05 PM

Einstein felt guilty the rest of his life for the A-bomb. He and Bertrand Russell created Pugwash (http://www.pugwash.org/) to reduce the risk of armed conflicts. BTW, Einstein was with no doubt a genius, but he commited many mistakes as good theories.