PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Beginner Questions

sierra
08-19-2003, 12:48 PM
OK, we finished our first 20 minute project in VT2 and we are ready to learn how to get it onto a DVD--or even CD if it will fit.

BTW I am not installing VT3 until this project is rendered and burned to DVD so I won't delay the project any if I get into trouble getting VT3 to work right since I have a deadline to meet.

I have bought Nero and have the little plugin for using RTV's with it. I want to do Mpeg 2, I think.

Question 1 Do I have to render the project into RTV before I can turn it into digital video?

Question 2 Which Mpeg do I use? (Somehow I thought it was Mpeg2.)

Question 3 We also downloaded the Tsunami thing. What is the procedure for using that?

Obviously any beginning steps you can give us would help a lot.

Thanks

Sierra

wvp
08-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Question 1 Do I have to render the project into RTV before I can turn it into digital video?
Using VT2 you will need to render the project into either RTV (see #3) or into an avi file. Using VT3 you would not need to render the project.

Question 2 Which Mpeg do I use? (Somehow I thought it was Mpeg2.)
You use Mpeg2 for making DVD's. You can use Mpeg1 if you want to put video on a CD. CD's will not be full screen and will not hold more than 45-60 minutes of video. They will not play back in a DVD player, only a computer.

Question 3 We also downloaded the Tsunami thing. What is the procedure for using that?
Check out this site (http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html) , also there is an article in NewTekPro (if you can find any!) by Eugene Kosarovich. If you ask him nicely he will probably email it to you (It is not mine to do so).
Lastly, you should perform a search on this board for previous discussions on "DVD" and "TMPGEnc"
Understand that at this point you will have created a file which will then need to use in a DVD authoring program (DVD Workshop, DVD It, etc) if you want to play this on a DVD player.

sierra
08-19-2003, 06:09 PM
I will go ahead and render to RTV since that is the first step.

Question Two Wow, I had no idea I could do a CD with MPeg1. Thanks. It is only a 20 minute video. I think I will experiment with that.

Question Three--Eugene sent me his article and I have been romancing it. I did find a link to the site on how to proceed with Tsunami. We will go through all these steps tomorrow when we get our final clip. I'm sure we will understand more as we get into it, I just needed starting points which you certainly have provided here.

I am told Nero (which I have) will do DVD authoring but I also have My DVD which comes on the Sony CD for our DVD burner. Do you have any idea if we should use our Nero or install the My DVD? I don't want to install My DVD if it is a piece of junk and I have no idea.

Thanks so much for shedding light at our beginning stages of this.
Sierra

prospector
08-19-2003, 08:31 PM
HMMM
VCD plays on dvd players (have to watch format tho) automatically set in MyDVD

holds around 12 min video&sound tho so 20 min too big.

GoceN
08-20-2003, 01:58 AM
Sierra
Nero cant't author DVD it can only write data DVD (it's advantage because now you can store archives on 4,7 or 9 Gb DVD discs) but for authoring full workable DVD's (wtih meny, scene selections, chapters etc) you will have to by profesional DVD authoring software ( I use DVD workshop)
Girst you have to render all you project in VT2 then load that RTV file in to TMPGEnc and export as MPEG2, then use DVD authoring software to create profesional DVD and to burn it.