PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Programs ie renderman

Tippsy
04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Ok so question is what is the best outside rendering if money was not a question of it. We have been looking at bunkspeed hypershot and at renderman. I know renderman is the industry standard so is that the one to go with? Looking to speed up render times without having to buy even more computers, this is for a classroom of students with a lot of renders and polys flowing.

Titus
04-21-2009, 08:29 PM
RenderMan isn't easy to use, to grasp its power you need to study a lot. RenderMan for Maya is a lot easier but is tied to Maya.

Tippsy
04-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Ok so then hypershot?

Iain
04-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Have you looked at VRay?

It has been the arch viz standard render engine for years but I'm noticing it's use spreading much further now.

Tippsy
04-22-2009, 03:50 PM
So does renderman work with lightwave?

Iain
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
No.
Maybe you should get a great little freebie called Google before spending thousands on something like Renderman.:hey:

Tippsy
04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Thats why I was asking here and for your info almost nothing is available on renderman info. And yes I have even talked with the people at Pixar. I was trying to see if anyone here uses it as I know you can using plugins but I wanted to know more but thanks for your help Iain.

Iain
04-23-2009, 12:05 AM
That wasn't very helpful of me was it!

LW is restricted to just the engines you read about here and is excluded from most of the industry standard renderers like Mental Ray, Renderman etc. It can be used with Maxwell and Fryrender but that's not what you are after I don't think.

It's new nodal system means that even the renderers it can use like FPrime and Kray struggle to reproduce much of what LW is capable of.

This isn't really a negative though as a lot of studios see LW as an essential app just for its simple but powerful rendering ability so the recent surfacing and rendering improvements mean it still holds its own in a lot of areas.

It's important to remember that the reason people like Pixar use Maya and Renderman so much is because they are so flexible and allow for complex shading and lighting solutions that take months of professional R&D to come up with. It's not a case of plugging in a preset SSS shader and watch Renderman create magic with it.

Similarly, LW is very flexible and capable in the right hands. For example, look at this work by Luis Santos.............
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25386

(FPrime render.)

adamredwoods
04-23-2009, 12:56 AM
There is a Lightwave to Renderman alpha out there...
http://www.garagepost.tv/renderman.htm

Netvudu
04-23-2009, 04:16 AM
I don´t quite understand your research Tippsy. Comparing Hypershot and Renderman is like comparing a Poser rig with Maya´s setup for The Hulk feature film.
Hypershot is a product made for fast and quick results and not flexible at all, but very simple to use.
Renderman is quite on the other side of the spectrum, really tough to use. You need RSL knowledge to be able to create competent shaders, but able to clobber any situation.
If it is for a class situation then Renderman wouldn´t come close to what you want, unless it´s a Renderman class, of course.

But there are many render engines placed between Hypershot´s simplicity and Renderman´s complexity! What´s up with VRay, Mental Ray, Kray, LW´s own native, final render,Modo´s renderer, Messiah....

I left out unbiased renderers because you mentioned "fast", but I think that both of your initially mentioned engines are quite a weird selection for your situation!

Titus
04-23-2009, 09:57 AM
And yes I have even talked with the people at Pixar.

They are not going to help you much, they usually think you know what RM is and how to work with it.

I don't use RenderMan anymore, LW is enough for my needs but I miss the reliability of RenderMan.

Tippsy
04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Ya well we have 4 render machines running and we wanted to find something besides new computers to speed up render times. I looked at Vray but didn't really like how it looked as it seemed to be more on architectural side of things. But thank you guys for the help.

adamredwoods
04-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Ya well we have 4 render machines running and we wanted to find something besides new computers to speed up render times.

You and everyone else, this is the "Holy Grail" search.

Nvidia, ATI, and now that new Caustic3d hardware are trying to figure this nut out.
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/04/caustic-graphics-launches-real-time-ray-tracing-platform.ars

The only other option is to outsource the rendering to someone who has the time to keep up the maintenance on 100's of computers.

lwanmtr
04-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Really, LW's native renderer (as of 9.6) is quite capable and fast. I have used FPrime, but as a previewer and LW is faster than fprime render now anyway. So, for a classroom, your best bet is to stay with the LW render engine, unless you absolutely need a 3rd party renderer.

Iain
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
LW is faster than fprime render now anyway.

It is but only if you aren't comparing like for like.

FPrime is actually a very fast raytracer and it's Monte Carlo radiosity is heaps faster in all but the most basic scenes than LW's unless you switch to interpolated.

lwanmtr
04-27-2009, 04:23 PM
There is also the fact that FPrime doesnt handle nodes well, nor does it see post effects of volumetrics.

Matt
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Also, it is very hard to get completely clean (noiseless) renders in FPrime, at least on the interior stuff I've done it is, but that could be me.

9.6 was a great update, the render speed enhancements meant I could use LightWave for GI renders again (overnight) and they are always noiseless.