PDA

View Full Version : Need some Advice - MacBook Pro or MacBook??

bethel
04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi, I need some feedback from us Mac users. Recently my high school students won first place at a State Computer Animation conference. We are heading for the national conference in June. This trip requires travel by air and it'll be difficult to bring out desktops (iMacs). So we are trying to compare the performance of the MacBook or MacBook Pro (OS 10.5, 2 Gb ram). I'd appreciate it if those of you who use LW 9.6 on these machines can provide some feedback. Issues like 'freezing,' performance when it comes to effects, etc. The competition is only 4 hours long; so performance is the utmost concern to me. Thank you.

littlewaves
04-22-2009, 03:48 AM
if you can afford it definitely go for the macbook pro. The slightly larger screen will really benefit you. I use my 13" macbook when I'm away from home and it's horrible especially if working in 4 viewports.

Also I think the better graphics on the pro's will speed things up for you.

Whichever you go for though you should upgrade to 4GB ram. - it's really not that much more expensive and should help prevent the whole thing locking up.

Do you have to render out in the 4 hours? I'm assuming not!

bethel
04-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Yes, we have to get the whole thing done in 4 hours: planning, storyboard, modeling, animation, etc. We don't know what the project is until the day of the competition. Thanks for your input.

littlewaves
04-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Yes, we have to get the whole thing done in 4 hours: planning, storyboard, modeling, animation, etc.

is "etc" rendering though?

I really hope not for your sake. Surely they just need to see open GL preview?

Either way that's quite a challenge. any idea how many seconds you have to aim for?

DiscreetFX
04-22-2009, 11:48 AM
We debated this a few months ago and went with the MacBook Pro. Great machine!

bethel
04-23-2009, 05:43 AM
Yes, we have to complete the whole thing in 4 hours: 5 stills, and an animation: min. of 300 frames.

lwanmtr
04-23-2009, 10:21 PM
The macbook pro is going to be your best bet...the bus is a little faster, you can have more ram and a larger screen.

accom
04-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Definetly MBPro. Better graphics card, faster bus, bigger display. All of it matters, especially on such a short deadline...

Stuffing it with maximum amount of ram is a must, because speed gain is enourmous!

Hope your student will be successfull! Fingers crossed! :)

bethel
04-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Yeah the school system is finally understanding that for us to travel that far and spend almost $4000 for an advisor and 2 students; that we should have the best equipment available to us for this contest. Thanks for your input