PDA

View Full Version : 3D inetrface - opinions please

mattclary
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Can some of you look at this and give me your opinion on it? I prefer people ho actually make a living in the industry, but all comments are welcome. There are some videos about half way down the page...

http://www.vizible.com/technology.html

akademus
04-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey Matt,
it looks darn cool and a bit iPod style, but I guess that's in (still). When the main app is chosen, i'd prefer making it more visible and having other elements less distracting, by making them less visible. Also, back elements could be blured or something to help focus on the content that is currently playing.

Otherwise, looks very good to me.

rezman
04-21-2009, 05:16 PM
While it's interesting to make a bunch of windows into a 3d shape, as far as usability it really gets in the way. Think of the comparison of Apple and Microsoft. With Apple they have created a very slick, usable interface and then locked it down. Microsoft on the other hand always seems to want to give you 20 different ways to do the same thing...bad idea. It leads to confusion, not usability.

You could say its like the same flawed logic of the main feature of CORE. Interface customization. Sounds nice until you realize that any tutorial will be based on THAT person's interface. Yeah, that makes it REALLY easy to follow.

So, to make the interface more usable something along the lines of Cool Iris makes a lot more sense and would add a lot of usability. Then lock it down.

Tonttu
04-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Interface customization. Sounds nice until you realize that any tutorial will be based on THAT person's interface.

..which is distributed with the tutorial as a preset you can load by double clicking?

RebelHill
04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Its nice enough... fluid, inviting, i can see folks getting into it.

But customisability is definately a must have imo... just look round people homes, where they keep their socks, how they organise their diary, arrange their furniture... locked down, pre-packaged is a turn off.

cresshead
04-21-2009, 11:15 PM
nice gimick...all show n no go in the long run i reckon

how's that going to handle real world users day to day computing needs...
just seems to be a step up from 'spaces' on the mac osx or the cube thingy on linux
something to show your friends but never actually use...

best invention so far was the desktop, shortcuts, the mouse and gui.

lwanmtr
04-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Hmm..Interesting idea, but realistically not very practical. Most folks have their desktop icons or toolbar stuff for quick access.

I've never used Spaces on my mac, though I have used the widgets thing.

As for the look of those 3d things..too busy, IMO..so many different squares you get lost easily.

mattclary
04-22-2009, 05:34 AM
nice gimick...all show n no go in the long run i reckon

That is my take on it too. The company I work for acquired this one a while back. They sent out a big press release about presenting this at NAB and pumped it up a lot. My thought was, "Seriously?".

OnlineRender
04-22-2009, 05:41 AM
very simillar to the onlive interface , also has that ipod element but thats already been said ,also im running crunchbanglinux and the GUI has a certian element about it which contrasts the same . in my personal opp , it looks very nice , but in all fairness it just look like a clone widget on windows , interactive multimedia will move foward and follow that path ,pretty and smooth but what ever happened to using console commands

>quit

also how much proccesor power does it use ?, i cant imagine running LW , Adobe PS & After Effects , Zbrush and any other app i decide to have running at the same time , i reckon it will just hang ............

Sekhar
04-22-2009, 09:23 AM
What's the product? Couldn't figure that out. If it's the whole platform (dev tools, runtime, etc.), Flash has a whole bunch of 3D navigations these days, and that would be a safer route IMO. You do not want to build a proprietary thing that won't run on a browser unless they install something.