PDA

View Full Version : Got my 500d (T1i) this morning

biliousfrog
04-21-2009, 11:12 AM
My 300d developed a minor focusing problem the other week which, although I fixed, I decided that it was time to get a new camera. I looked at the 450d and 50d before settling on the 500d, which is basically the 50 in a 450 body plus HD video. Release date was mid-May but I spotted that Jessops are selling them early (as of yesterday) so I couldn't resist any longer.

Initial impressions are that it's very light and much smaller than my 300d and the XXd models although it seems less cramped than the 450d for some reason...probably because I'd actually bought it rather than just trying it in the shop. :D

I've only had a quick play with it, I took the dogs through the fields for a couple of hours and tested some of the functions, so far I'm really pleased. The auto-focus is very snappy and the viewfinder seems marginally larger which is a great help for me as I wear glasses. The 3" LCD screen is bright and clear, even in bright sunlight (it's been scorching today) but is very prone to smudges from my big, roman nose...must get a screen protector!

I guess the thing that I should really comment on is the video, after all we're looking at 720p (30fps) with interchangable lenses for under £900. There's also 1080p at 20fps but it's going to have very limited uses with that frame rate.

On the plus side, and this is a BIG plus, you're getting very professional looking video. The ability to use professional lenses with shallow DOF for portrait shots or extreme zooms for wildlife video is fantastic. The video is saved as Quicktime H264 which doesn't require additional software or codec's, has very good compression and is saved instantly with a Sandisk Extreme 3 card. I expected to wait for several seconds for the files to be written to the card but it's instant on/off. Thankfully, the 'jello' effect is minimal on standard camera moves although it is very noticeable on 'extreme' pans and fast movement.

On the downside, there isn't much really. The camera is light and the SLR shape doesn't lend itself to shooting video so it can feel awkward. Add to that the video is previewed on the LCD at the back so you have to hold the camera forward, you can imagine how difficult it is to hold steady. Video camera's have image stabilzation, SLR's don't (not for video anyway) so handheld shots with long zooms can be a bit wobbly. My big gripe is with the focusing which is very hit and miss. Personally, I'll stick to manual focusing anyway so I won't miss it much.

At the end of the day, this isn't a professional HD video camera. What it is is a 15mp DSLR with HD video. When I started looking around at a DLSR replacement I was set on the 50d but, for around the same price, I got almost the same camera (on the inside) plus a very usable video camera.

I highly recommend checking the 500d out when it is released in a few weeks.

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 11:20 AM
nice buy ,honest review ! you selling your old 300D ?

biliousfrog
04-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm now boxing up my 300d to stick on ebay along with the Canon gear bag I got with the 500d. It's a shame, I think that the 300 feels better made and is certainly less cramped but I won't have a need for it now. I'll probably stick my Sony Handicam on there too as I've barely used it and will just use the 500 now anyway.

biliousfrog
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I've just found something that's a complete PITA - 500d RAW files don't open in CS3! It seems that Adobe are only updating their RAW plugin for CS4 now so I have to use Canon's software to open the files which is adequate but not as powerful as Bridge or Adobe's Camera Raw :(

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 02:14 PM
PM me the link , hows the fault, tempromental or fixed ? you should always keep your video camera , i have about 12 now :)cant bring myself to throw that kinda thing out , i was going to do whole sale on flebay but there better internet sites out there with competive and real bids .

what is price tag on 300 ?

biliousfrog
04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
The fault was due to calibration, for some reason it had started near focusing and everything was out of focus. I managed to find out how to adjust it with a screw behind the mirror. I had to file down an allen key to 1mm square to fit the screw and it was really awkward but, after a few hours of testing and adjusting, it seems to be focusing correctly. I can't guarantee that it won't shift again in a few months or so which is why I'd rather sell it on...apart from that, it's almost as new. I've hardly used it really.

I'll forward the link when I get the auction sorted, I always go for a Sunday finish - always more bids ;)

TBH, I'd rather sell to someone I don't know although I don't mind if you want to bid. I just dread the thought of something going wrong down the line...I always bend over backwards but it's still easier to sell to a stranger y'know? The going rate seems to be £80-£150, it varies a lot. Anything is better than nowt :D

JonW
04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I could not use Canon’s EOS Utility on either my Mac or PC for my new camera, the OS was too old, 10.3.9 & XP.

Using Adobe DNG Converter works, an extra step but it works.

These high pixel cameras are picking up every fault of the user, use a tripod where possible. Also some of the older L glass are showing their faults & this is with the fixed focal lengths, let alone the zooms.

These high pixel cameras need the best fixed focal length glass one can buy.

biliousfrog
04-22-2009, 02:14 AM
I could not use Canonís EOS Utility on either my Mac or PC for my new camera, the OS was too old, 10.3.9 & XP.

Using Adobe DNG Converter works, an extra step but it works.

These high pixel cameras are picking up every fault of the user, use a tripod where possible. Also some of the older L glass are showing their faults & this is with the fixed focal lengths, let alone the zooms.

These high pixel cameras need the best fixed focal length glass one can buy.

The DNG converter doesn't work either, Canon have obviously updated their Camera Raw for the new model. I found someone with Lightroom 2.3 and that doesn't work either...I'm sure that there'll be an update soon. I'm using 'Digital Photo Professional' which came with the camera, it seems to work fine on XP 64.

A friend has the 5d mk2, a 21mp camera, and he says that only the L lenses are any good at full resolution. He can use his others but he has to have the resolution at 8-10mp otherwise it shows all of the minor defects.

OnlineRender
04-22-2009, 02:27 AM
whatever happenened to the good old disposable camera :) Ill have a look out flebay , I hope you get a good price .

JonW
04-22-2009, 03:30 PM
I am using DNG with a 5D2, unfortunately it looks like they don’t have it ready for the 500D.

Luckily I have mostly got FFL lenses, and am also using some old Mamiya lenses on the camera, the Mamiya 80mm macro is an good as Canon’s 135mm. Their 35mm is a lot better than the 16-35mm @ 35mm.

Software for these new cameras needs to be available when the camera is on the market. It’s like using a new Velvia film, but we don’t have the developer ready!

I wouldn’t mind some of these other toys, but I will have to sell the house!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/seitz-d3.shtml
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
http://northlight-images.co.uk/rumours.html

biliousfrog
04-23-2009, 02:12 AM
I found a post on the Adobe forums asking about RAW for the 500d and an Adobe rep said, 'Unfortunately, 'tis the nature of the beast. Happens almost every time a new
camera comes out. We haven't seen the T1i ourselves yet so there's no way we
could've characterized it (e.g., for color, noise, white balance, etc.).'

Personally, I find that very hard to believe as reviewers have been testing the camera for months.