PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek

CC Rider
04-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm actually looking forward to the new Trek film. Even my wife is looking forward to seeing it! I never thought the day would come when I could actually share the Sci-Fi geek experience with my wife. Until now she would just roll her eyes when she catches me watching an episode of TNG for the millionth time...or Star Wars...or...well, you get the idea.
Hope its good! Looks promising to me.

:D

JeffrySG
04-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I'm excited as well. I don't care too much if it breaks from cannon. If they can revitalize the franchise and make great films, I'll be happy. If the movie sucks I'll be annoyed.

I've actually been watching the first season of the original series on my Roku/Netflix in HD. It looks great. They did a great job remastering the footage - it looks so clean and vibrant. I'm mixed about the re-done special effects but I don't think it takes away from the show and they're nice to see.

CC Rider
04-21-2009, 09:13 AM
They have ST in HD on netflix?
Cool! I'm going to add it to my que right now!

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 10:02 AM
going to IMAX to watch cant wait seen trailer today !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yrdEe95Hs0

Effects look amazing

CC Rider
04-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Man, I wish we had an IMAX theatre around here...closest one is in Raleigh. Here in Charlotte, they show IMAX movies but it's projected through an OMNIMAX projector on an OMNIMAX screen and it looks completely retarded!
They advertise it as an IMAX screen and people go see it because I guess they don't know any better. The films are stretched beyond all recognition to fill the wrap-around screen.
Maybe one day they put in a real one around here.

adamredwoods
04-21-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm not a big StarTrek fan, but I liked some of the movies and shows.

I'm happy that JJ Abrams wants to "re-invigorate" the brand. But from the trailer, it seems he's doing that with Beverly Hills drama and gratuitous explosions. Which could be ok, but I really wish they also add interesting characters and a slice of sci-fi weirdness.

Some sci-fi movies try and force the drama. One example would be Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, where they "forced" the love interest in. Kinda deflated the movie.

JeffrySG
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
They have ST in HD on netflix?
Cool! I'm going to add it to my que right now!

I'm not sure if you can rent it but the first season comes up as HD on my Roku. It might on the instant play too.

CC Rider
04-21-2009, 12:41 PM
just added it to my instant streaming que.
Thanks for the tip!

rezman
04-21-2009, 01:33 PM
The whole alternate timeline thing kinda kills the whole thing IMHO.