PDA

View Full Version : Walk Cycle Crits?

simpfendoerfer
04-21-2009, 04:35 AM
Hi, I have new respect for you real animators.

I was trying to make this guy walk. It took a lot of trials until it looked halfway life like. But he is still very stiff around the shins and feet. I am out of ideas how to make his movement more supple.

Yes, there is some sliding on the floor, when he sits down. Not good but it doesn't catch my eye as much.

What do you think?

Otterman
04-21-2009, 05:52 AM
I agree with everything you say...your bang on with the areas that need improvement. However not having ever done any character rigging myself i cant say how'd you go about remedy them. Looks good so far though! My own personal preference would be to have the chair pan into the frame more gradual....i find it a little distracting.

Hope someone else pipes in that can offer more useful info!

RebelHill
04-21-2009, 06:02 AM
First off... hows about posting this sorta thing in the new section we got...

www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=276

Second.... Looks very linear, get into graph and curve things up better, get busy with those beziers. Your foot action is wrong, the trailing foot needs to pivot up right onto the toes before travelling forward, then keep an eye on your arcs as things are moving, and give the feet some turn during the travel, they arent just flat.... get up, walk around look carefully at what your feet/legs actually do... observation is the first key.

Third, check out my free character rig, www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97866
and check through the video to see an example of basic walk cycle setup using it, you may well find that your rig lacks the necessary controllers in the right places to give you the right kind of control.

Otherwise your timing and spacing aint bad, its your tweens, articulation, and mechanics that need the work.

Keep going.

mehetabel
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
I think he needs to lift his feet a bit higher during the walk. His arms could use a bit more like a "swing" effect! They are to stiff! Just my 2 cents.

How did you do the walking? Did you make one walk cycle and just copied it a couple of times? I'm kinda stuck with that myself. How to move your character forward while repeating the same animation over and over again? Could you explain?

SplineGod
04-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Go onto youtube and do a search under walkcycle. Theres lots of good examples.
He looks stiff and lacks weight. He seems to glide along.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=occFkFbl3ms

hazmat777
04-21-2009, 09:14 AM
The hips need more rotation. As he is making contact with his heel the hips should be slightly rotated back as the weight is taken on the foot, they should rotate slightly down. As the foot completely takes the weight and the passing foot is basically centered with the body, make sure the foot taking the weight has it's hip rotated up, angled down towards the passing foot slightly.

simpfendoerfer
04-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Mehetabel I created a walk cycle and then repeated it with Motion Mixer. Then I moved the Character_Null and matched the speed of the movement to the walk cycle.

mehetabel
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks simpfendoerfer! Guess I have to take a look at the motion mixer!!!

Surrealist.
04-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Here is some information that might help:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149594&highlight=walk

simpfendoerfer
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks Surrealist, that is excellent stuff.

Titus
04-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi, I have new respect for you real animators.

I was trying to make this guy walk. It took a lot of trials until it looked halfway life like. But he is still very stiff around the shins and feet. I am out of ideas how to make his movement more supple.

Get as many references you can find. videotape yourself walking, and write the timing for keyframes and poses.

About your animation. The movement seems to be very linear, the legs and arms don't move at the same speed all the time, the accelerate and desaccelerate all the time.

Surrealist.
04-24-2009, 01:41 AM
simpfendoerfer -no prob

Get as many references you can find. videotape yourself walking, and write the timing for keyframes and poses.

Titus - very good pointer.

simpfendoerfer
04-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Just made a big mistake. I saved and closed the document while a motion in Motion Mixer was dropped. No way to pick it up again. I am stuck. Had to revert to an earlier version.

Thanks Titus. The keys are in the right place of the cycle I think, beginning, middle and end. The arms though have keys with smooth TCB curves, while the legs have linear curves. I tried the arms with linear as well.

Here is the latest.

simpfendoerfer
04-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Anybody knows about MotionMixer Offset Editor. The Offset Editor has all those setting about how to apply the offset, REL, ABS, CHAR, (REL_XZ obviously does not apply). Not all are documented.

I overlaid a head turn over the walk cycle. All channels are set to REL. Head had the rotation. All other channel's in the motion have keys at 0 value. I assumed REL will just add its value to the underlying motion. Doesn't seem to work.

RebelHill
04-24-2009, 08:54 AM
imo... motion mixer is just a steaming pile... Its fine for doing simple lil repeteitve taks... like pumps or shocks on robots, or cars, or helicopters... but for use with CA it is SEVERELY below any acceptable standard...

Doing a walkcycle repetetivly by hand is a doddle, and FAR quicker than arsing about with the likes of MM... and as it happens, ive just done a lil tutorial set on walks, check it out, and good luck with your piece.

www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98134