PDA

View Full Version : you know how people just assume they can fly a helicopter?

jin choung
04-21-2009, 01:05 AM
neat show on discovery channel tonight.

ridiculously detailed show on how helicopters work. i think it was hour long and i totally got the basics of flight.

collective (left hand) is up and down

pedals (feet) control lw heading (controlling tail rotor)

cyclic (right hand) looks like the traditional airplane stick but controls motion on the horizontal plane - z (back and forth) and x (sliding sideways) movement.

if you get engine failure autorotate until you're 50 feet above the ground then pull back on the cyclic and flare to slow and land.

somebody gimme a helicopter now.

jin

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 01:07 AM
ive got several remote control ones "petrol " does that count ???
now there difficult to fly , but i get some great birds eye view images from them , camera mounted with trigger on controller very cool

Jin edit your avatar its 8 am and im hungry :)

toby
04-21-2009, 01:12 AM
neat show on discovery channel tonight.

ridiculously detailed show on how helicopters work. i think it was hour long and i totally got the basics of flight.

collective (left hand) is up and down - y

pedals (feet) control lw heading (controlling tail rotor) - H

cyclic (right hand) looks like the traditional airplane stick but controls z (back and forth) and x (sliding sideways) movement.
Call me crazy, or psychic, but I'm getting this funny feeling that us 3d people are predisposed to pilot helicopters...

jin choung
04-21-2009, 01:14 AM
ive got several remote control ones "petrol " does that count ???
now there difficult to fly , but i get some great birds eye view images from them , camera mounted with trigger on controller very cool

Jin edit your avatar its 8 am and im hungry :)

dude! it's 8am! breakfast!

jin

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 01:15 AM
breakfast is for the weak :P

IMI
04-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Speaking of time, why am I up at 3:15 AM reading your posts, Jin? ;)

geothefaust
04-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Actually, I think you're on to something... I picked up one of those RC choppers around xmas that my GFs kids got, and was flying that thing like a pro.

Jin, I think you have found us all backup plan careers in case this 3D thing ever goes South. lol :D

jin choung
04-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Call me crazy, or psychic, but I'm getting this funny feeling that us 3d people are predisposed to pilot helicopters...

haha nice.

totally... it seems very close to how i imagine a realistic, newtonian laws respecting "space fighter" controls being like....

although i'd remap that so that the "collective" left hand control would do all translation (xyz).

the "cyclic" stick on the right hand controls rotation (pb).

it's probably a good idea to keep heading as foot pedals since everyone (including heli pilots according to the show) associates heading with foot pedals.

jin

IMI
04-21-2009, 01:19 AM
If I'm gonna fly a helicopter I insist it be one of those Black Ops choppers. Make a few people's worst nightmares come true. :devil:

jin choung
04-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Speaking of time, why am I up at 3:15 AM reading your posts, Jin? ;)

wow... east coast time.... well, in three more hours, i'll probably be in the same boat still... surfing... : )

jin

jin choung
04-21-2009, 01:20 AM
breakfast is for the weak :P

or the hungry! : )

jin

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 01:28 AM
wow... east coast time.... well, in three more hours, i'll probably be in the same boat still... surfing... : )

jin

in three hours ,ill be avoiding being stabbed , mugged and raped , just another sunny day in Glasgow .
Edit imagine farrockaway with scottish accents :)

IMI
04-21-2009, 01:33 AM

jin

Yeah. I'm geeking out, actually, reading tech crap and in the middle of cleaning up a CPU and a heatsink to put on a new motherboard. Nice and quiet this time of day, no distractions - no phone, no nagging. ;)

jin choung
04-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Yeah. I'm geeking out, actually, reading tech crap and in the middle of cleaning up a CPU and a heatsink to put on a new motherboard. Nice and quiet this time of day, no distractions - no phone, no nagging. ;)

oooooooo.... sweeeeeeeet....

(actually, i like the IDEA of working on computers... in reality it's an fing pain in the as$.... for me, there's nothing quite as dispiriting as having something fail to boot. i have lots of resources and lots of things to try to alleviate the problem and i always get it to go but when something fails to boot... ack.

and pet peeve - why are such ludicrously fragile and ridiculously expensive components designed in such a way that you must exert abominable amounts of force to get things into their proper slots. seriously... wtf....)

corei7?

i'm still on a dual core p35 board meself... figure this mobo will last me for a looooooong time (2.6 overclocked to 3.0) and have quad cores to upgrade up to...

jin

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 01:38 AM
i had a phone interview with a very sounding sexy lady yestarday from the people at Vancouver Film School , ive been given the chance to go in 2010 , but i cant go , to much family ties over here , plus i would need to save up aleast 15k , kinda gutted though

edit sponsor a small scottish child for a year :(
when i say small more like 6ft

toby
04-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Nice and quiet this time of day, no distractions - no phone, no nagging. ;)
Staying up late is the shizzle
I'm up past 4am these days

jin choung
04-21-2009, 01:50 AM
edit sponsor a small scottish child for a year :(

lol...

that sucks. deepest condolences.

and yeah, the 15k is just for tuition right? you still need living expenses and such.

there's always online courses though if you want schooling. gnomon and animation mentor have really good reps.

i was never much for these media education schools. for me, the manual, a few books, a few months of magazine reading and the interweb gets me a long way there and for lots cheaper.

if you're the sort that can absorb info like that, self study and a regular 4 year college in your area (if that's the stage o' life you're at) might be a better deal all around....

anyhoo, luck.

jin

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 01:59 AM
i already have a BSC Degree in 3D animation & Digital Art , the only education i can do now is a masters or PHD , i just wanted to expand my knowledge ,and travel more , i see the work created by VFS and think wow i want that .
ohh well back to making xna games for xbox ...sighhhhh

Edit wish i never came back to scotland from NY , wouldnt be stuck here , all plans of mice and men ehh ?

IMI
04-21-2009, 02:05 AM
oooooooo.... sweeeeeeeet....

(actually, i like the IDEA of working on computers... in reality it's an fing pain in the as$.... for me, there's nothing quite as dispiriting as having something fail to boot. i have lots of resources and lots of things to try to alleviate the problem and i always get it to go but when something fails to boot... ack.

and pet peeve - why are such ludicrously fragile and ridiculously expensive components designed in such a way that you must exert abominable amounts of force to get things into their proper slots. seriously... wtf....)

corei7?

i'm still on a dual core p35 board meself... figure this mobo will last me for a looooooong time (2.6 overclocked to 3.0) and have quad cores to upgrade up to...

jin

Yeah, it can be a royal PITA, but I like it. I've always been into tedious things, always liked to assemble stuff and take things apart. call me a sucker for punishment, but this is relaxing to me. ;)

The only real problem I have is the damn clips for the Zalman CPU hsf's. Especially for the AMD's - they can be a real pain and you feel like you're breaking something.

No i7, just scavenging from one machine and assembling it into another, and later today I rebuild the one I scavenged from with a new mobo and HDD. The one I'm doing now I'm selling. Can't really afford to do the Core i7 thing yet, and later this year the prices will have come down alot, I figure.

jin choung
04-21-2009, 02:11 AM
The only real problem I have is the damn clips for the Zalman CPU hsf's. Especially for the AMD's - they can be a real pain and you feel like you're breaking something.

same thing with the intels... ZIF... see, that's exactly what installing components should be ZERO INSERTION FORCE... the cpu socket is totally cool.

but then they f it up with the freakin' heat sink installation?! wtf... seriously....

i'm pretty sure i bent something when i installed mine and i helped a friend with his rig and the problem turned out that he didn't exert enough force and the heat sink was actually just sitting on top of his processor....

gah....

seriously. they got these things running at gigaherts and they can't find a better mechanical solution?

jin

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 02:16 AM
I remember buying a huge 1 gig of storage cost me 60 at the time ,lol now my phone has more storage , also my motherboard sat on a yellow pages directory no base unit , hehe gone are the days .

jin choung
04-21-2009, 02:16 AM
i already have a BSC Degree in 3D animation & Digital Art , the only education i can do now is a masters or PHD , i just wanted to expand my knowledge ,and travel more , i see the work created by VFS and think wow i want that .
ohh well back to making xna games for xbox ...sighhhhh

Edit wish i never came back to scotland from NY , wouldnt be stuck here , all plans of mice and men ehh ?

why'd you go back to the homeland? working remotely is definitely a possibility these days but i figure NY would be more amenable to your interests? though never having been to scotland (or europe), i can't say how their cg industry is. how is it? i would imagine there is such work to be had everywhere in the world these days.

jin

IMI
04-21-2009, 02:18 AM
gah....

seriously. they got these things running at gigaherts and they can't find a better mechanical solution?

jin

I actually did break a motherboard once - an Asus about 5 years ago. That really pissed me off, but...oh well.

I'm sure they COULD come up with a better solution, but alot of the people buying this stuff and assembling it are n00bs, so I think they try to not make it too bad. Myself, I sometimes bend the clips a little to get more tension, but it's just as easy to ruin them that way.
They do make thermal adhesive, but I don't know that I'd want to try it on a CPU heat spreader.

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 02:25 AM
why'd you go back to the homeland? working remotely is definitely a possibility these days but i figure NY would be more amenable to your interests? though never having been to scotland (or europe), i can't say how their cg industry is. how is it? i would imagine there is such work to be had everywhere in the world these days.

jin

ye theres work in UK of you know AD products , Lw on the other hand is rather a taboooo subject . applied for Rockstar North , instead of there generic responce email sayin you suck , i got a nice written one saying your not experinced enough "which is true " hmm catch 22 .

Think ill go back to NY next year maybe , i had nice job walking up and down Longisland beaches pretending to look busy , also Scottish accent did get alot of attention , bearnacities $100 a dance !your alright darling i can get one for 10 were i come from" , " miss it so much " .

meshpig
04-21-2009, 02:49 AM
why are such ludicrously fragile and ridiculously expensive compnents designed in such a way that you must exert abominable amounts of force to get things into their proper slots. seriously... wtf....).

That's a PC thing. Gently does it with macs and you even get love handles to make getting it into the slot more realistic.

As for flying Helicopters... http://www.x-plane.com

m

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 02:54 AM
try your hand at google earth flight sim , now thats good fun aswell , kinda tricky though

shrox
04-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Some airports offer a 40 minute trial flight in a small airplane for about $50. I was able to take off, fly and land with the instructor just sitting next to me. She swore that I had flown before. I have played many flight sims, and the real thing was easier because you have depth perception rather than a flat 2D screen. I do it every year for my birthday, plus the time credits toward a pilot's licence.

I don't think they offer that for helis though, that could be disastrous.

Nangleator
04-21-2009, 08:21 AM
... the real thing was easier because you have depth perception rather than a flat 2D screen.
Yup, not to mention rather good resolution out the windows. Real world instruments like the VSI can lag, though. Must be a bandwidth thing.

Got my private ticket after spending too much time with simulators. And that was back in the early 90s, before simulators were really impressive.

Mike_RB
04-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Jin, the collective isn't up/down. It's power to the rotor disc. IF you tilt forward, you drop as you have less lift (the rotor disc is now angled), so you need to increase collective, which then keeps you from dropping but also pushes you forward more as 'up' on the rotor disc is now pointed forward. It's a crazy dance of rotor power and disc angle to the ground. The once you get going you have to balance the fact that the increased collective is now pushing to forward, maybe more than you want, so you back off the disc tilt forward, which means you then have to reduce collective to keep from going up. I haven't flown a helicopter, but I've ridden in a lot of them.

OnlineRender
04-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Note to self dont let Jin Drive :)

Nangleator
04-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Oh, I suppose someone could make a back seat driver comment about Jin...

Spec-G
04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Cant Get rotors off my mind, DCS ka50 blackshark helps with my addiction:)

Titus
04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
haha nice.

totally... it seems very close to how i imagine a realistic, newtonian laws respecting "space fighter" controls being like....

I don't know what a space fighter is but a RC chopper is far from being intuitive. There's a lot of inertia involved, so if you want to change direction it takes time to do what you are telling the controls to move.

shrox
04-21-2009, 09:27 AM
I don't know what a space fighter is but a RC chopper is far from being intuitive. There's a lot of inertia involved, so if you want to change direction it takes time to do what you are telling the controls to move.

I have had three "real" RC copters, crashed them all. However those micro ones you can get for $20 are lots of fun and easy to fly.

harlan
04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
somebody gimme a helicopter now.

Hey Jin,

I've got a Commercial Helicopter license and almost have my Flight Instructor (CFI) license. You're more than welcome to roll down to my side of town (I fly out of Long Beach & Van Nuys) and I'll take you for a ride if you'd like. I have regular access to a Robinson R22, Schweizer 300C, and a Bell 206B3 Jet Ranger.

Auto-rotation's are a blast. It's quite freaky seeing the ground coming at you at a high rate of speed with only two ways to stop: proper technique or slamming into the ground. Kind of like sky-diving without a parachute, well a parachute that doesn't open until you're 50' above the ground.

Do you remember the name of the helicopter show on Discovery?

jin choung
05-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey Jin,

I've got a Commercial Helicopter license and almost have my Flight Instructor (CFI) license. You're more than welcome to roll down to my side of town (I fly out of Long Beach & Van Nuys) and I'll take you for a ride if you'd like. I have regular access to a Robinson R22, Schweizer 300C, and a Bell 206B3 Jet Ranger.

Auto-rotation's are a blast. It's quite freaky seeing the ground coming at you at a high rate of speed with only two ways to stop: proper technique or slamming into the ground. Kind of like sky-diving without a parachute, well a parachute that doesn't open until you're 50' above the ground.

Do you remember the name of the helicopter show on Discovery?

just saw the show again (this time on tanks [m1a1]... not as useful... have no confidence that i can operate a modern tank from this episode)... the program is called "belly of the beast":

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.15850.25870.36230.3

hosted by a youngish guy who likes calling people dude - rossi morreale (i never heard of him before either).

and thanks for the offer harlan. actually, more than anything, i'm thrilled that i actually have the unlikely entry of "helicopter pilot" in my rolodex now. never know when i need to hire out for aerial footage, stunts or airlifting out some homies from 'nam (or compton) or something.

hey, and as for autorotation - is that something that you actually have to demonstrate before you get your license?

cuz it seemed straightforward procedurally speaking but it's awfully "do or die" isn't it?

jin

OnlineRender
05-05-2009, 12:25 AM
my uncle was a tank driver for the Royal Scots Dragoons , he crashed one a few years back and it cost them $1000 for just a new head light :P

jin choung
05-05-2009, 01:43 AM
my uncle was a tank driver for the Royal Scots Dragoons , he crashed one a few years back and it cost them $1000 for just a new head light :P

haha... didn't he have tank insurance? : )

cooooool... what kinda tank? m60? abrams?

jin

OnlineRender
05-05-2009, 02:07 AM
dont actually know i'll skype him tonight and find out for some reason i think its challenger ?
i know he mounted it sideways and tipped the thing :P hes been in the army for years now !

mattclary
05-05-2009, 01:15 PM
sponsor a small scottish child for a year :(
when i say small more like 6ft

Yeah, you look pretty small in that picture you use as an avatar. ;)

Red_Oddity
05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
All our RC helicopters are smashed to bits...but maybe we should have flown them in the office building and studio :D