PDA

View Full Version : VT jamming

marjopar
04-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi, I have been using VT since version 3, now I have VT 5 and I have been working with it since the upgrade came to the market. My usual setup is with three cameras. This week however something strange happened. I was going to film a show and I prepared everything beforehand. The setup was ready even an hour before the start of the show and everything was tested and was working well. As the time came to start the show the VT jammed. I could not select the cameras on the keyboard and I could not even click the recording start. The mouse was working well but nothing else. I had to manually shut down the computer and restart all over again. This obvoiusly took a lot of time, making me loose part of the show. Then it worked properly and did not give me any trouble till the end of the show. But when I went to film another show later this weekend, it did exactly the same thing again. I have to find a solution to the problem because at this point I could not trust my hardware any more.

UnCommonGrafx
04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Interesting. I've had this before: setup, an hour or so ahead of time; test the system and all is well. After an hour of sitting, come back and it crashes as soon as I do ANYTHING.
I came to the conclusion that if I restart right before the show that VT can survive without any issues whatsoever for hours on end.
Theory: no activity on a VT machine makes it go stir crazy.

Quiet1onTheSet
04-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Interesting. I've had this before: setup, an hour or so ahead of time; test the system and all is well. After an hour of sitting, come back and it crashes as soon as I do ANYTHING.
I came to the conclusion that if I restart right before the show that VT can survive without any issues whatsoever for hours on end.
Theory: no activity on a VT machine makes it go stir crazy.

Hmmm. That's weird. Surely you use protection*, right?
(i.e., you plug your VT system's power cable into an adequate surge protector with automatic voltage regulation)

If so, do note that over time, these units don't protect your system to the degree that they once did when new. Their protection properties do deteriorate over time.

billmi
04-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Not just surge protection - voltage drop protection as well - a battery backed up supply.

Pete Draves
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Make sure the bat backup system is adequate for the draw of your system.

I also have found the ground-loop isolation to any external supplied device such as projectors that may be on a separate phase or circuit.

Pete

UnCommonGrafx
04-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Battery backup... Hadn't thought the draw was over. I've seen my system go down for that reason but haven't seen it happen with the bbup.

Also, I've had it happen in industrial-like buildings where plenty of power was had. Even had it happen at home.

Happens less today than it did with VT3 or 4.

Thanks for the thoughts. More to look at.

travisr
04-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Ok, I don't know if this helps, but here's something I've discovered with my VT4:

When you first boot up and you get the windows prompt to login, and you don't continue past that point before the screen saver kicks on, VT4 will act flakey the rest of the time the system is on.

I have my screen saver set to off, but during the boot up process, Windows will activate its own screen saver if you don't login for a while. If this happens, you may as well not even run the VT and just shut down and start all over.

It took me a long time to make the connection with the problems we were having, but if you skip past the login without the screensaver starting up, the system runs a lot better (at least for us).

marjopar
04-20-2009, 11:35 PM
But the strange thing is that it is only these last few times that VT started crashing. And although the setup would be ready and tested more than an hour earlier, that does not mean that I would not touch the computer at all. The last time it crashed, in fact I tried c the cameras on VT5 some 10 minutes before and everything was working fine.

SBowie
04-21-2009, 05:52 AM
now I have VT 5 and I have been working with it since the upgrade came to the market. My usual setup is with three cameras. This week however something strange happened.Given that this seems to have started at a specific point in time, and evidently wasn't a problem before that, you might want to consider a couple of things. I'd start by cleaning out the configs. Then look through your Windows uninstall applet to see what if anything you might have installed in the period just prior to the problem. If you saw anything like a graphics driver, disk authoring software, virus protection, and any number of other possibilities, you'd have some new avenues to pursue ...

marjopar
04-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I clean the configs? I am not that good in using a Windows based PC because usually I use Mac. I use this PC because of the toaster.
I have not installed anything on that specific computer because I use it only for VT5.

SBowie
04-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Windows Start Menu>All Programs>NewTek>VT[5]>Utilities>Reset Configuration

marjopar
04-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks.