PDA

View Full Version : Error: "Curves do not cross correctly" in 9.6

Serling
04-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi guys...

Trying to do a tutorial on spline modeling from the book "Essential LightWave v.9", and am running into a problem.

Doesn't matter how careful I am in setting up multiple splines, when I try to patch these, I consistently get the above error message.

I finally found that if I Unweld all the points then merge them, I can occasionally get these splines to patch, but what a PITA! Anyone know any recent tuts out there for spline modeling that show you ways to avoid this error consistently?

Thanks.

UnCommonGrafx
04-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Couldn't find a link on splinegod's page...
But this'll get you something:
http://members.shaw.ca/LightWavetutorials/modelling_basics.htm#Splines

Serling
04-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the link. Will look through it tonight. In the meantime, think I'll get some blueprints and try my hand at using those for reference images. :)

Later.

SplineGod
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Make sure you are selecting the correct amount of splines to create a patch (3 or 4).
Make sure you have the correct splines selected.
Make sure that the splines are welded where they intersect.

geothefaust
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Make sure you are selecting the correct amount of splines to create a patch (3 or 4).
Make sure you have the correct splines selected.
Make sure that the splines are welded where they intersect.

Yep yep. That'll take care of the error popup you're getting.

Spline modeling is quite fun and quick to boot, how are you enjoying it so far?

gordonrobb
04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I may be stating the obvious, but your splines do share poins where the cross yes?

The points that share two curves need to be welded.

Serling
04-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Finally think I've got that part figured out. I downloaded some free aircraft blueprints (as reference images) and was trying to do some spline modeling on them. I have top, front and side views but here's what's confusing the hell out of me: creating a spline properly aligned in one view is no guarantee it will be aligned in the other two. I've also found that the same blueprint can yield vastly different image sizes when these are broken up for ortho views, and so splines trhat are scaled correctly in one view, may be off by huge amounts in the other 2 views.

I can see how splines would be a quick, easy way to model certain things, but getting everything scaled and aligned in all 3 views is yet another PITA. Any ideas on creating a consistent backdrop across all 3 ortho views that will take some of the pain out of this?

Thanks again.

SplineGod
04-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Having the blueprints scaled properly in each view would be important no matter how y ou model it :)
If I have reference thats messed up in on view Id decide which dimensions im going to grab from which view or get better reference.