PDA

View Full Version : How about some Minesweeper

DiedonD
04-20-2009, 02:31 AM
I just scored the expert level at 271 seconds! But with a touchpad mind you!

I know its not that much, but whats you guys score?

Nangleator
04-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Don't have proof, (it was about 6 computers ago,) but I've done Expert in about 216 seconds, Intermediate in the mid-70s, and Beginner in 9.

The mouse tricks are key.

Also, I played enough to learn all the logical tricks and patterns to help me out. Typically, the first guess I made would end the game, so I had to learn the logic well. Also, careful or not, my success rate at Expert is probably about 6%.

I win about 90% of the time with Spider Solitaire and Freecell, though.

DiedonD
04-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Well, make a new proof if you can then? Cause 0.42916666666 secs per box is something to take note of!

As seen in the beginner score of 2 seconds, undoubtadly luck is involved in it.

And if you try it all out, there just is a rare chance that you can finish it in just 1 second, but you need to click THEE right box, that completely, or almost completely opens up all the boxes for you. Or if its the later, youll just have to manage to open the remaining small ones just under 1 second!

Logic, at BEST, can only send you up to having two boxes in expert level! Thats why I use the question mark '?' on them two last ones. Or just clickaway for faster time. Which is better than opening up all of them, only to fail on the last two mines in last two boxes in the end. A scene which has happened to me alot.

Without proof I think I was at about 230 or so. Again some computers ago, while working at UNMIK. And with a mouse.

Medi8or
04-20-2009, 06:58 AM
This isn't much proof in a forum where most of the users have Photoshop or similar programs, but...

Mark The Great
04-20-2009, 06:59 AM
2 seconds for easy? Come on! I can't get below 5!

I think my fastest time (for expert), on the old computer, is 250.

I really hate how it keeps track of your winning percentage on Vista. It psyches me out and I never want to play lest I upset my 'average'.

Nangleator
04-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Holy smokes.

DiedonD
04-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Well one guy did it for 1 second I tell you. No proof though. He just clicked on the right box! It is possible, cause if you click on the numberless box, it opens up wide. And if it encircles the miny area, they get automatically flagged too!

Med8or!

137/480 = 0.28541666666 seconds per box man! What did you take? Them drugs that make you dance all night or what?! ;)

Medi8or
04-20-2009, 07:09 AM
I really hate how it keeps track of your winning percentage on Vista. It psyches me out and I never want to play lest I upset my 'average'.Easy enough to "beat" the Vista statistics. If you have one of the 50-50 choices, just quit and save. Starting a new game wont's register as a loss, at least it doesn't with Solitaire..
You also have the option to try the same game several times..

DiedonD
04-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Easy enough to "beat" the Vista statistics. If you have one of the 50-50 choices, just quit and save. Starting a new game wont's register as a loss, at least it doesn't with Solitaire..

You mean you get several trials in checking weather the mine is either in box A or B?!

Thats easy! And your time is stored too?

Piece of cake!

Did it happened to you that once there was a mine on a saved game in A, and later on was on a B, on the same game?

I kinda think they move so rapidly before I get to choose between the two...

Medi8or
04-20-2009, 07:23 AM
137/480 = 0.28541666666 seconds per box man! What did you take? Them drugs that make you dance all night or what?! ;)Nah.. As you said, if you hit a blank it will open wide.
Also, marking where you know there are mines, and then hitting middle mouse button helps a lot.. ;)

You mean you get several trials in checking weather the mine is either in box A or B?!If you hit a mine in Vista, you get a choice to try the same game again. You then start the game at the beginning, but with all the mines in the same place. If you are smart, you won't hit the same mine twice.. ;)

Also if you quit in the the middle of the game, you can save and resume the same game next time you start up Minesweeper. Mines are in the same place, and the time is saved too.

I don't think either of these methods will help improve your times much, but they will help statistics. I don't much care, since I'm the only one using my machine, and good looking statistics won't fool me.. :)

Mark The Great
04-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Easy enough to "beat" the Vista statistics. If you have one of the 50-50 choices, just quit and save. Starting a new game wont's register as a loss, at least it doesn't with Solitaire..

I think losing multiple times at the same game of minesweeper counts as multiple losses.

I hadn't thought of that first method. That will be handy.

DiedonD
04-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Also, marking where you know there are mines, and then hitting middle mouse button helps a lot.. ;)

Left click opens up boxes, right click flaggs or puts questions marks ('?').

The midle box I havent ever used it! Honest!

But clicking both left and right, makes a square like shape dissapearing the boxes within that square! Whats the use of that?! Bizzare!

Medi8or
04-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Left click opens up boxes, right click flaggs or puts questions marks ('?').

The midle box I havent ever used it! Honest!

But clicking both left and right, makes a square like shape dissapearing the boxes within that square! Whats the use of that?! Bizzare!
I allways remove the option to set question marks, they are just a waste of time.
Middle button does the same as clicking left and right button at the same time. Mark every mine around a number, middle-click (left-right-click) on the number, and it clicks on every button around it. You can save quite a few clicks..

Hopper
04-20-2009, 10:16 AM
My best time for expert is 124, but my average is about 145-190. I play a LOT of Minesweeper during builds.... watching the stupid lines go by.

The trick is to turn the "?"'s off and use your Left+Right mouse clicks a lot so you don't have to reveal each individual tile.

DiedonD
05-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Yes Im always talking for expert level! 124 is quite fast though BTW, Bravo!

Well. Im getting there!

Still with a touchpad though!

DiedonD
06-05-2009, 05:06 AM
Well Im on to you Medi8or!! ;)

Nangleator
06-05-2009, 05:26 AM
I had to learn all the tricks and logic in minesweeper, because I have the world's worst luck at the game. I've had hundreds of expert games where I'm down to two or three uncovered spots with one mine left, and my first guess in the whole game blows me up.

I won't commit to a game of expert until I've cleared two different, non-rectangular areas with my initial clicks. My initial strategy is uncover the corners first. For me, 85% of the time, that blows me up and I start again.

DiedonD
06-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Hey dont worry man. I consider blowing up a part of the game. You shuold see how I open up an area, and how many times I fail before it actually opens up!

I only count the ones that open up a bit at first.

In fact let me see if I can show it to you...

DiedonD
06-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Here, you just clickway until you open up an area, regardless how many times you blow up in the process!

Then take it from there!

Thats how I do it...

Medi8or
06-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Heh.. I guess clicking away is one option. :D

I forgot to post beginner- and intermediate statistics. Not sure they are my best times ever, but it's what I have on this machine, so... :)

DiedonD
06-05-2009, 06:24 AM
I just noticed that Youtubes World Record in Minessweeper also do clickaways!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hDVOgnMsz0

But I mean, these guys are total insane to finish the expert level with a FREAKING 36 SECONDSS!!! :eek:

DiedonD
06-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Hey heres the 1 second Minessweeper at beginner level I told you about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_aYveElOJ4

Toldya! ;)

DiedonD
08-10-2009, 04:59 AM
This is a rare number!

Anyone else had these in a normal Expert level?

You can have 8 non stop if you wish, but on a cutom made maximum mines in small box for example, but it is very rare for an default expert level!