PDA

View Full Version : Quick character setup tips

RebelHill
04-19-2009, 04:55 PM
So the discussion on my rig thread taied off toward quick setup of things in LW vs the more longwinded manual methods... SO i just wanted to show how quick and easy u can setup some basic controllers, and how u can reuse the same basic setup from character to character without needing to do everything from scratch each time...

So here we go.

You'll note in the video that I use a very differnt menu layout... mainly because the default menus are rubbish and totally unintuitive (imo) and mine are far more efficient (imo), so I include my menu layout for you to load to make following along a bit easier...

enjoy

Oedo 808
04-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Bargain, best money I ever spent. :thumbsup:

I've heard of speed rigging, but rigging on speed is a new concept. :D

Thank ye Sire, very useful.

geothefaust
04-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Right on amigo. Downloading now. :)

nikfaulkner
04-26-2009, 01:19 AM
feckin hell mate, great video. learnt a ton

so whats next, arm/shoulder setup? :) (cheeky git aint i)

seriously its such a nice change to watch something at the speed somebody works, most videos are so slow they send me to sleep in about 5 seconds flat.

keep up the good work

n.

3DGFXStudios
04-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Great video dude but stay low on the coffee ;)
Also great animation. Did you do animation mentor?

walfridson
04-26-2009, 03:39 AM
Great video!

Started laughing like crazy when you shuved in that sandwich :D...

You should really do more, perfect speed!

nikfaulkner
04-26-2009, 04:37 AM
on another note, have you thought of uploading your videos to vimeo?. much better quality for streaming and you can download the original versions

n.

CGI Addict
04-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Great video dude but stay low on the coffee ;)
Also great animation. Did you do animation mentor?

Yea, if you wouldn't mind, could you talk a bit on how you've got to this point with your animation skills? You're entire reel is spot on great.

RebelHill
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Well... fisrt off, my reels not perfect, far from it, lol... Theres a few issues... the jumping guy for instance, as he comes out of his run and scooches over the the side the hip is a lil drify... This was cos i have a few frames where its moving diagonally across axis, makes the graphs hard to get right... that still gives me jib from time to time... the arcs on the arms/hands of the crawling/dead friend character arent great, mainly cos I kept them in IK, and didnt switch off to FK when he lifted them, but y'know... its all learning, and mostly just tech stuff to break past...

As for how I got here... theres not much to tell thats of any use... I got no schooling, finished school at 16... was never accepted into the art classes at school (apart from the first 3 years mandatory) cos my drawing skills have never been great, still arent...

I always loved animation, all thing filmy reli, ever since I was a kid... started making flip books at age 5... always was trying to ficure out how people did stuff... id frame by frame through disney movies on vhs... try highlighter pens to get some kinda laser glow effect that ud see on cartoons and movies, etc...

When it comes to principles of animation, anticipation, weight, balance, etc... I figured all taht out for myself... so long ago now I cant even remember when, but very young... just through obsevance and constantly asking myself the question "what am I actually seeing here??"

Discovered 3d on the amiga... took over half an hour to load a starship enterprise model I got on a coverdisc... gave up 3d... did a lil plasticine stop motion film at 15... then spent the next 6 yrs partying, getting high, getting laid, committing crimes, and doing some jail time... In jail discovered a horde of photography magazines, decided to give tha a shot... and did so for a couple years after I got out (still do from time to time)... learned about depth of field, exposure, lens lengths, etc... Then decied to have a go at video, adn started making some fun lil films...

Decided I wanted some effects (yes, more highlighter laser blasts)... so got photoshop and started painting them on by hand (with a mouse, not a pen) using the filmstrip format (tedious)...

Friend of mine had a dodgy copy of max4... I saw that it could actually run at a half decent speed... got the demo... made this... www.rebelhill.net/old/hopper.avi the first afternoon... had no manual stuff out... the best I got was simple texture and animating vertices... Begged my mate for a copy of max... he eventually fobbed me off with a dodgy LW... spent a week trying to figure stuff out (just clicking buttons at random)... discovered BONES... spent 2 days making this... www.rebelhill.net/old/Shroom.mpg

Being dodgy as it was it crashed like a ***** every 5 mins... so I thought, sod this... bought V6, got the manual (yippee)... and off I went...

Tried everything, modeling, rigging, animating, tried FX with particles, camera tracking, compositing, etc, etc... primarily at this point wanting to do 3d fx stuff... video plus photo, plus 3d, etc... but it was just all too much, too much time... being spread too thin, no one part being great... and eventually just fell back into character animation... was always fighting LWs rigging beforehand... so cracked out my calculator, read the whole manual... put 2 and 2 together... improved my rigging no end, and finally started to animate half decent stuff about 5 or 6 yrs ago...

the rest is just practice and progression...

But no, theres no book ive read, or training course, or tutorial series that Ive had and learnt loads from that I can recommend Im afraid... the only thing I ever read apart from the LW manual was 3d world, and inside LW6 by dan ablan...

the rest i just figure out for myself

RebelHill
04-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh... adn my character Jerico was conceived about a 6 months after starting with LW... hes the first thing I learned to apply IK, etc to and actually get to walk n stuff... and this was the first animation I did with him... really... my first ever 3dd character anim... Not perfect, not by a long shot... but even looking back on it now, not all that bad...

www.rebelhill.net/old/j_walk_tst.mov

like I say. movement, weight, etc... I started getting into it at such a young age... its like Ive just always known...

geothefaust
04-27-2009, 11:39 AM
That's really great for a first go. Hot dang. My first animation was garbage, lol.

h2oStudios
04-27-2009, 02:50 PM
spent the next 6 yrs partying, getting high, getting laid, committing crimes, and doing some jail time...

lol... Story of my life. Except I was partying pretty much my whole way through until I got locked up almost 6 years after I started doing 3d. Just got out last June.:hey: lol.

Oh, and your Jerico rig; I ripped that sucker to pieces, and rebuilt it from the ground up on a quick and dirty cartoon character. Lots of clever parenting, constraints, expressions, and of course PLG IK (which makes LWs native IK look like shwag).:D Really valuable stuff, glad you shared it.:thumbsup: I know people would probably want a tut on this kind of thing, but that would probably be like a 12 hour video, lol.

Overall, you've got a good noggin on them shoulders.

CHEERS!:beerchug:

akademus
04-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Very cool. Thanks for the tutorial. Please, have some more coffee :D

probiner
06-17-2009, 10:12 PM
AHAHAH Rebel Hill i have to do a bone rig and animate it until friday so i'm in a rush, but came here to find some inspiration. Instead, i got good mood :D

Only thing you missed in the video was to get out of the chair, go to the Bathroom to take a quick leak but still giving instructions to people :D

Thanks for the good mood, oh and the rig tips too ;D
Cheers

jmkupka
06-22-2009, 12:29 PM
downloaded your character scene & installed your menu layout as well.

PROBLEM: the menu bar is tucked up under the Apple menu bar & I can't get it out to move the window around... is this MAC 1.01?

Main problem, can't download your .mov file. Is the link gone?

RebelHill
06-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Hmmm....

No clue about the menu issue... Its just a preset cfg for LWs interface, so should be no different to the dafult menus (apart from how the tools list/group, obv)...

And the .mov link is working for me, but its not MY link (per sť)... the file is just an attatchment here on the forum.