PDA

View Full Version : Video clip stutters

logcabinstudio
04-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I have started a new timeline and put several short video clips on it with dissolves. It worked ok yesterday. Today, one of the clips stutters fairly consistently every time I play it. If I just put the raw footage in by itself, it stutters as well.

I have noticed this problem cropping up here and there on certain clips. I have put a force render under it to solve the problem.

Before starting this project, I formatted the drives and have not deleted anything. The drives are 1/3 full. This is VT5 build 071012

In December I made a very complex 45 minute timeline and it never stuttered.

SBowie
04-19-2009, 01:36 PM
What are the project settings and file formats involved?

logcabinstudio
04-20-2009, 09:01 AM
The video is .rtv clips and the audio 48K 16 bit stereo. Stills are .png. I took the audio out of the clip and it still stutters.

I just booted up the computer today and loaded the same timelime and today it does not stutter. Very weird.

Scott Bates
04-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Heat problem in the system?

Quiet1onTheSet
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Heat problem in the system?
Not knowing the system specs, could it be that your system only *marginally* allows you to playback .rtv clips without an "error penalty"?

SBowie
04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I just booted up the computer today and loaded the same timelime and today it does not stutter. Very weird.If you don't find another obvious issue (like heat, as Scott suggested), you might want to run some tests on the drives ... could be one of them is getting a little iffy.

Adam_LightPlay
05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
.RTV is uncompressed SD video, about 22 MB per second. Is it playing off a RAID or a single drive? If it's a single drive, you might be at the edge of what a single drive can sustain.
BTW, that's why I use the DV Type 2 Codec, 95% of the time. Looks great for most purposes, and only uses 3-4 MB/Sec.

logcabinstudio
05-02-2009, 02:41 PM
We have a raid, five 146gig scsi drives. It will always work ok when a force render is put under the problem area. Computer is not running hot at all and it is dust free. It will also stutter when a still is being panned across and the drive led's are'nt lit. The still is on the raid.

Adam_LightPlay
05-02-2009, 02:50 PM
OK, that sounds more like a processor speed issue if anything, not an HD issue. Does the clip have color adjustment or other changes? I've noticed that will slow down playback on my T5500 @1.66Ghz with Shared Memory for the Video Display.
BTW, you know there is free newer version of VT[5] available?

SBowie
05-02-2009, 08:36 PM
We have a raid, five 146gig scsi drives. It will always work ok when a force render is put under the problem area. Computer is not running hot at all and it is dust free. It will also stutter when a still is being panned across and the drive led's are'nt lit. The still is on the raid.Five drives is fast, but it's also 5X as much chance that you have a drive issue. I'd run some tests, starting with a speed text. As the the still, that could well be a different matter - not a big, sustained HD hit, but how big (in pixels) is is?

logcabinstudio
05-04-2009, 03:27 PM
The stills are video resolution or a touch higher. It will happen more often if blur is used on them. How would I perform a speed test on our drive array?

SBowie
05-05-2009, 05:26 AM
There first thing I'd check would be the Windows Device Manager, make sure no errors shown for any of the drives in the array.

To test speed, you could find a free utility (such as SiSoft's Sandra Lite) online, or use the simpler but quick Disktest.exe that shipped with VT - I see there's a link here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=250260&postcount=2