PDA

View Full Version : Wacom tablet

s4sha
04-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Hello Lightwave artists,

I've been using LW for a few months now, and am considering a pen tablet. I've looked at the Wacom products, which look great but I have no experience with them. Can anyone provide poros/cons? Or do you recommend any other products? How easy is the interface and setup/customization?

Thanks very much!

geothefaust
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Wacom all the way. Tried a number of "off" brands to save money, that was a con.

Pros:
Most levels of pressure
Highest DPI
Easy to use
No batteries
It's easy to pick up and use if you can use a pen/pencil
Setup and customization I'd say falls in the pros as well. It's easy to install. Easy to customize on a per application basis.
Works on linux (tested on Ubuntu), Win, and Mac
Bamboo and Intuos4 consider left handed users on the smaller sizes, with regards to the custom buttons/strip/wheel (Doesn't apply to Intuos2, no buttons/strip/wheel)

Cons:
A bit expensive
Smaller sizes of the Intuos3 don't really consider left handed users (me) (This is also not an issue with the Bamboo nor the Intuos4, also doesn't apply to Intuos2)

akademus
04-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Get one. I have Intous3 6x8 and 9x12 and it's best money I ever spent.
I hardly use mouse ever.

New Intous4 looks awesome.

sampei
04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
so which would you recommend, Intous or Bamboo ?

akademus
04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Intous is professional level tablet, it has a great versatility but also comes with a price tag. If you can afford it , get one.

Bamboo is an entry level and if you are a starter and don't feel like spending 5-6 hundreds then it's a good choice.

Hopes this helps.

sampei
04-17-2009, 01:52 PM
it sure does, I'm getting a bamboo :thumbsup:

Hieron
04-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Wacom.. nothing else. (edit: imho :P)

I also had 2 "others" and they were completely worthless and a total waste of money. Now I have a Intuos 3, A4 sized. Pricey, but it works great. I'm sure starting with a cheaper Bamboo etc would be a good way to get familiar with it.

Wacom is not cheap, but the entry level tablets are definately doable to start out with. And it is quality stuff.

sammael
04-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I actualy find it a lot easier in LW to just use the mouse. When it comes to photoshop or zbrush however I couldnt live without my wacom.
I dont think it gives you any real advantage in LW.
The drivers and build quality of the products are great, I'm still using an intuos 2 which is now 6 or 7 years old and works like a charm with the latest drivers.

s4sha
04-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I really appreciate your comments! Thanks for the info!