PDA

View Full Version : Playboy animation contest...

Stunt Pixels
04-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes, I know you only read it for the articles, but there's a Playboy animation contest with a $10k first prize. You don't have to do naked chicks either. Well, you probably could... Anyway, only open to US citizens, but someone may be interested.

Worksafe link (http://www.playboy.com/articles/playboys-2009-animation-contest/index.html?cm_mmc=Social%20Networking-_-Twitter-_-Editorial%20Feature-_-Animation%20-%20Contest)

JeffrySG
04-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Pretty cool...

Here's the text if you don't want to go to the page:

2009 ANIMATION CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.

1. TO ENTER the Contest, complete and submit no later than May 31, 2009 at 5 p.m., Chicago time, the following items:

a. A Word or text statement containing your full legal name, address, email, phone number, date of birth and the name of your entry. You may include any other information about your animation piece that you would like us to know.
b. Scan of your driverís license or other government-issued photo ID proving your age.
c. Your original animation in one of the following formats: FLV, MOV, AVI or MPEG and in 16x9 or 4x3 aspect ratio. Animation must be original, creative and humorous.

Submission of your entry along with the completed documents/information described above may be done via two methods:

(i) upload through the Contest page found at www.playboy.com/articles/playboys-2009-animation-contest/index.html or
(ii) via regular U.S. Postal Service; provided, however, that if your entry is over 50MB maximum, it must be copied to a disk or thumb drive and submitted via regular U.S. Postal Service to

Playboy.com
c/o Animation Contest 2009
680 N. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60611

LIMIT: Enter as often as you like but each entry must be submitted separately. Incomplete or illegible entries will not be honored. Sponsor not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, damaged, illegible, incomplete, incorrect, misrouted or postage due entries/mail. Entries will not be returned. By entering, entrant warrants and represents that his or her animation entry piece is all his or her original work, he or she solely owns, or otherwise has the full right and permission to exploit, all of the rights in, to, and under his or her animation entry piece and to grant the rights and licenses set forth herein, and with respect to any third party materials that appear in or are otherwise incorporated or embodied in his or her animation entry piece (including any musical compositions and master recordings), entrant has obtained express, written clearances from all owners of and rights holders in such third party materials as necessary to grant the rights and licenses set forth herein, and entrant will provide such clearances to Sponsor upon request.

2. JUDGING: Each entry will be ranked in the following criteria: (a) Creativity (50%), (b) Originality (25%) and (c) Humor (25%). Entrant whose essay earns the highest overall score will win. In the event of a tie, winner will be selected based on the Creativity criterion. Entry must be original, of entrantís own animation style and creation. Entry must not violate the rights of other parties. Entry may not be offensive or defamatory, as determined by the judges. Winner selection conducted by independent judges, whose decisions are final. Judging will be conducted on or about June 1, 2009.

3. PRIZE(S): One (1) Grand Prize: U.S.$10,000. No prize substitution allowed by winner. Prize is not transferable. Taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner. Sponsor shall have all rights to copy, edit, broadcast, publish and use, in whole or in part, any animation, copyrighted or copyrightable materials, in any manner without further compensation (except where prohibited by law). Prize winner will be notified by email, mail or phone and will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility/Copyright Ownership and Publicity/Liability Release (or his or her parent/legal guardian if the Grand Prize winner is a resident of a jurisdiction that deems him or her to be under the age of majority) within seven (7) business days of date notice sent or prize will be forfeited. If prize, prize notification or attempted notification is returned undeliverable, prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner. Unclaimed prize may not be awarded.

3. ELIGIBILITY: Open only to legal residents of the United States, 18 years of age or older as of participation date. Contest open to individual amateur and individual professional animators only. All employees of Sponsor, its parent, affiliates and subsidiaries, and the immediate families and household members of each, are not eligible to win. By submitting an entry, participant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules. Entry constitutes permission to use winnersí names and likeness for publicity purposes without further compensation (except where prohibited by law). Sponsor and their promotional and advertising agencies shall have no liability and shall be released and held harmless by participant(s) for any damage, loss or liability to person or property, due in whole or part, directly or indirectly, by reason of the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of prize or participation. Any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration. Claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of- pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this contest, but in no event attorney's fees. Offer void where prohibited and subject to federal, state and local laws. This Contest is governed by the laws of the State of Illinois.

4. RETURN OF MATERIALS; RIGHTS TO EXHIBIT: Entry materials, including, but not limited to the animation entry piece, will not be returned. Sponsor reserves the right to display the entries indefinitely and from time to time on media now known or hereafter created that is owned, licensed or affiliated with or by Sponsor and/or its parent, subsidiary and/or affiliated entities without compensation.

adamredwoods
04-16-2009, 11:26 PM
That last part concerns me. Although you *could* win 10Gs, they can reap the benefits if you have a hit on your hands even if you only get third place.

Sponsor reserves the right to display the entries indefinitely and from time to time on media now known or hereafter created that is owned, licensed or affiliated with or by Sponsor and/or its parent, subsidiary and/or affiliated entities without compensation.

JeffrySG
04-16-2009, 11:35 PM
That last part concerns me. Although you *could* win 10Gs, they can reap the benefits if you have a hit on your hands even if you only get third place.

That's why I usually think these contests suck. Hundreds of people will work for countless hours for nothing. You might as well invest your time into your own personal project and know that you fully own it.

No Design on Spec (http://www.no-spec.com/) - essentially...

...and that's what these contests are basically asking people to do.

Silkrooster
04-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Thing that kind of concerns me is giving them a scanned copy of your drivers license. Unless you are going to be getting a subscription there is no need for them to have that much information. Bad enough stores see it when you write a check.

Stunt Pixels
04-17-2009, 12:02 AM
That's why I usually think these contests suck. Hundreds of people will work for countless hours for nothing. You might as well invest your time into your own personal project and know that you fully own it.

I usually agree, but I don't think it applies in this case, as you still fully own your entry. You're giving them the rights to show your entry as much as they like, but there doesn't seem to be anything to stop you using it as a proof of concept to sell somewhere else, or just selling it somewhere else. It doesn't seem to mention exclusivity. Also, as it's so broad, there's no requirement to make it Playboy specific, just entertaining. I imagine there's a few people here who could submit stuff they're already done as personal projects.

I think it sounds pretty cool, but my friends call me Heff...