PDA

View Full Version : Transfer VHS tapes

SteelPicR
04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I've got a new grandson and a bunch of old VHS children tapes that we bought for our kids that I would like to transfer to DVD. I don't have a pro VHS player so I'm stuck with a composite signal.

The problem is the signal is clean on my computer screen and even on a s-video monitor via the SX breakout box, but on my main output component monitor and the DVD, I'm getting black lines. I've tried every routing option I can think of.

Any clues on how I can get this grandson some clean DVD's? :bangwall:

ssdcinc
04-16-2009, 04:50 PM
the easyist way would be to get a standalone DVD recorder,
shopping around you can get these pretty cheap usually with a built in VHS.

then just use that to copy the tape to the DVD, unless you are trying to
put multiples titles on the same DVD.

inregard to the black lines, did you actually try to output to a dvd, or even
a video CD and see if the black line are there ?
...could have to do with the monitor, i've done both approaches in
the past without any inherent problems.

good luck

SteelPicR
04-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Yes...I did a DVD. I get the same thing I'm seeing on my production monitor. I've done this before with no problems myself so this is a new one for me. I'm coming in thru the composite input on the SX to capture. The crazy thing to me is that it is clean on my other S-Video monitor.

Scott Bates
04-16-2009, 08:36 PM
the easyist way would be to get a standalone DVD recorder, shopping around you can get these pretty cheap usually with a built in VHS. Just a caution on those VHS/DVD units. My wife bought one of those and it works as advertized for her purposes, BUT the results on DVD are very over-saturated. Could be just that particular Sony model, but....

travisr
04-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Are the black lines 'drop out', or some other artifact? SVHS has a remarkable method of filling in drop out using the scan lines above and below the affected area. But not VHS. The lines may not show up on the computer monitor, but will on a video monitor.