PDA

View Full Version : Speed Animation Challenge #1 - Vehicle Race: Become Shrox's Hero Edition.

Ernest
04-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Speed Animation Challenge #1 - Vehicle Race.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: This first iteration is called a Speed Animation challenge because it's meant to portray the thrill of high-speed racing, not because the time frame will be short. For future challenges this will change. In order to recreate the conditions that led to this challenge, there will be a 3-month timeframe, starting on Monday. So the last moment for entering your animation will be July 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM GMT.

2:Post link to your rendered animation from any video-sharing site (min 400x200 pixels, which is the size of Firewall) in this thread with a screenshot of your hero object's main animation curve at any point in time. Feel free to post as soon as you have something and to post a more refined version later.

3: Pure LightWave should be used for animating. 3rd party Plug-ins (in the broadest sense of the word) are allowed for creating the objects, texturing and rendering. Objects can come from any source. Although only animation will count for the judging, you know what they say about judges being human and about eye-candy making movement look sweeter. It's completely acceptable to animate non-racing sequences in order to create a plot.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the scene files.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each link in this thread. The animation part of the challenge is completely individual. The participant may not receive help in any part of the animation process. However, it's OK to get help in modeling, texturing, compositing, and rendering, or even to have someone do those for you.

5: The contest will be judged by Shrox. He has not agreed to this but, after the thread he just posted looking for a hero, he has no moral right to refuse. The first prize will be to win this challenge. The second prize will be to be the first loser and to be publicly humiliated (Yes, it's a joke, in case anyone had any doubt. Just finishing an entry is still awesome). However, this contest will also have 1 possible grand prize which maybe no one will be able to deserve. If one of the animations is good enough, you can win the grand prize of becoming Shrox's hero.

Subject - Vehicle race.
Any type of vehicle (manned or unmanned), any type of race.
You may add as many non-racing elements around the race as you like.
Sound is optional.
It can include as much violence as you can get away with without getting banned from Youtube, Vimeo, etc. but if it does, or if it has swearing, please put a warning in your post!

Time Limit - 3 months.

Deadline - Monday July 20 23:59 GMT.

JeffrySG
04-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Great idea!

Is this going to be a study in animation only? Which I think would be cool! or are people going to be texturing and lighting the animations also? It might be nice to simply focus on the animation - kind of like an animatic? With very basic models and lighting/textures. Thoughts?

scratch33
04-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes good idea.

How about providing the objects? this can be cool if all have the same objects so We can focus on the animation.

JeffrySG
04-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Yes good idea.

How about providing the objects? this can be cool if all have the same objects so We can focus on the animation.

Oh, I like that idea too... then it could really be a focus on the animating. This would be more like the lighting challenges they have at CGT where they provide everyone with the same scene and people just light it their own way. If we were to do it this way the models could be pretty basic.

adamredwoods
04-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I was just thinking aobut a contest like this!
Since its 3 months, modeling should be a part of the contest.

shrox
04-17-2009, 03:23 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: This first iteration is called a Speed Animation challenge because it's meant to portray the thrill of high-speed racing, not because the time frame will be short. For future challenges this will change. In order to recreate the conditions that led to this challenge, there will be a 3-month timeframe, starting on Monday. So the last moment for entering your animation will be July 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM GMT.

2:Post link to your rendered animation from any video-sharing site (min 400x200 pixels, which is the size of Firewall) in this thread with a screenshot of your hero object's main animation curve at any point in time. Feel free to post as soon as you have something and to post a more refined version later.

3: Pure LightWave should be used for animating. 3rd party Plug-ins (in the broadest sense of the word) are allowed for creating the objects, texturing and rendering. Objects can come from any source. Although only animation will count for the judging, you know what they say about judges being human and about eye-candy making movement look sweeter. It's completely acceptable to animate non-racing sequences in order to create a plot.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each link in this thread. The animation part of the challenge is completely individual. The participant may not receive help in any part of the animation process. However, it's OK to get help in modeling, texturing, compositing, and rendering, or even to have someone do those for you.

5: The contest will be judged by Shrox. He has not agreed to this but, after the thread he just posted looking for a hero, he has no moral right to refuse. The first prize will be to win this challenge. The second prize will be to be the first loser and to be publicly humiliated (Yes, it's a joke, in case anyone had any doubt. Just finishing an entry is still awesome). However, this contest will also have 1 possible grand prize which maybe no one will be able to deserve. If one of the animations is good enough, you can win the grand prize of becoming Shrox's hero.

Subject - Vehicle race.
Sound is optional.
It can include as much violence as you can get away with without getting banned from Youtube, Vimeo, etc. but if it does, or if it has swearing, please put a warning in your post!

Time Limit - 3 months.

Aye carumba! Yeah, I'll do it. If this is serious, go all out.

By the way, July 20th, 2009 is the 40th anniversary of the first manned lunar landing, could be some neat ideas there...of course the first lunar rover wasn't used until July 31st, 1971.

In addition to the unattainable prize, I'll throw in one of the model rockets I designed. Anybody else want to sweeten the pot?

One more thing, can I enter? In that case the prize should be a mirror...

shrox
04-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Great idea!

Is this going to be a study in animation only? Which I think would be cool! or are people going to be texturing and lighting the animations also? It might be nice to simply focus on the animation - kind of like an animatic? With very basic models and lighting/textures. Thoughts?

Do your best.

shrox
04-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Great idea!

The more you do yourself, the more I'll be impressed. I often use lower rez models as a guide for modeling what I want, I call it "building over". It's up to you, but if you use someone else's model straight out of the box (or zip file), do give them credit.

toby
04-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Wow this sounds cool! I'm not an animator, but july just might be enough time for me to show something :D

JeffrySG
04-19-2009, 09:28 PM
The thing I like about not having to create models is that we get to focus on the skill of animating - and in the end we can all judge on the animation itself and not focus on the models or textures, etc. Especially if we are all animating the same models. We already have our modeling challenges already. You might be able to get more people to participate if they know they can just focus on the art of animating/camera work, etc.

Just an idea. I think it's cool either way. Not sure if I'll have time to participate but wanted to throw that concept out there.

toby
04-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I think that forcing us to all use the same models is really restrictive and would take out a lot of the fun and creativity. I think we're all capable of judging the sense of speed regardless of the objects anyway. If y'all worried about how the best will be judged we can just have everyone submit playblasts.

geothefaust
04-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Awesome! I'm really happy to see more stuff like this happening. :)

Really cool.

shrox
04-20-2009, 03:44 AM
I think the next challenge should be judged by Rod Seffen, The Artist Formerly Known As Oddity.

toby
04-20-2009, 05:14 AM
I think the next challenge should be judged by Rod Seffen, The Artist Formerly Known As Oddity.
Great idea, where do we sign up to get insulted?!

JeffrySG
04-20-2009, 06:41 AM
If y'all worried about how the best will be judged we can just have everyone submit playblasts.
I'm not really too worried to be honest. But what are 'playblasts'?

shrox
04-20-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm not really too worried to be honest. But what are 'playblasts'?

From Wikipedia:

"playblast (plural playblasts)

(computing, animation) A low-resolution crude render of computer-generated imagery used in CGI production as a check for character and prop positioning and lighting placement. Curved surfaces are rendered as surfaces with low face count, i.e. faceted."

Oh, these would get a thumbs down from me!

toby
04-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Sorry that's maya talk, but it's shorter than "OpenGL preview"
It's what animators show in dailies for approval, it's all you need to judge animation. And it's not necessarliy low-res, you can do whatever you want. That's probably an old description; it doesn't even mention animation

shrox
04-21-2009, 02:54 AM
In three months I would think some good could be rendered, The Battle of the 1970's Super Cars took only about two and half weeks total, including modeling and animating.

toby
04-21-2009, 03:38 AM
Of course. Playblasts would be additional and only needed if people wanted to be judged on animation only. I'm sure there's people here who feel as strongly about their lighting or texturing as I do about my animation, not very, but would still like to participate on level ground.

shrox
04-21-2009, 05:06 AM
It's not just animation, it's the whole deal. If I am The Judge, then that's what it is.

toby
04-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Although only animation will count for the judging
He made you the judge, but it's still his challenge.

shrox
04-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Then I am supposed to have a "hero" that I am not all that impressed with?! Maybe time for a clarification.

shrox
04-21-2009, 06:15 AM
I like the idea of the challenge, but it was not my idea. I agreed to participate because I believe that some will do their personal best, and that is something I'd like to see. Some will do the minimum, some will go all out. Which of those ends of the spectrum do you think will catch my eye and curry my favor? This could be an excellent opportunity for some to make a great showreel. I'd like to see that happen. This might even get some attention elsewhere, and thus present an even greater opportunity for someone to shine. So, shine on you crazy diamonds!

cresshead
04-21-2009, 07:06 AM
looking forward to this getting going..once we have a scene/models to play with

JeffrySG
04-21-2009, 07:46 AM
looking forward to this getting going..once we have a scene/models to play with

Well it seems that we're not sure if we'll be getting a scene/models or if we'll be doing them ourselves.

I have my preference but either way it should be worked out before everyone gets started.

Glendalough
04-21-2009, 09:11 AM

Rules:
3: Pure LightWave should be used for animating. 3rd party Plug-ins (in the broadest sense of the word) are allowed for creating the objects, texturing and rendering. Objects can come from any source. Although only animation will count for the judging, you know what they say about judges being human and about eye-candy making movement look sweeter. It's completely acceptable to animate non-racing sequences in order to create a plot....
Sound is optional.

Time Limit - 3 months.

Actually think 2 months would be enough as with 3 people might lose interest.

shrox
04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Well it seems that we're not sure if we'll be getting a scene/models or if we'll be doing them ourselves.

I have my preference but either way it should be worked out before everyone gets started.

No supplied materials. It's your imagination or nothing. That's how I interprete the rules as stated.

cresshead
04-21-2009, 09:55 AM
No supplied materials. It's your imagination or nothing. That's how I interprete the rules as stated.

okay that's cool...my models will be previz quality until i get the motions done n dusted :D

shrox
04-21-2009, 10:02 AM
okay that's cool...my models will be previz quality until i get the motions done n dusted :D

Make the finished one pretty, as pretty as Hello Kitty (gag!)

R.Feeney
04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
A beginning of sorts, An hour or so modeling so far.
I have not idea if I will be able to keep going on this for the 3 months.
But who knows.

shrox
04-21-2009, 10:39 AM
A beginning of sorts, An hour or so modeling so far.
I have not diea if I will be able to keep going on this for the 3 months.
But who knows.

Nice, but the main focus is to be wheeled vehicles on the ground I believe, like these:

http://www.vimeo.com/1490030

http://www.vimeo.com/4179482

But there is no reason those ships couldn't be players in the anim. Maybe taking a few strafing shots at the main vehicles.

R.Feeney
04-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Nice, but the main focus is to be wheeled vehicles on the ground I believe, like these:

http://www.vimeo.com/1490030

http://www.vimeo.com/4179482

But there is no reason those ships couldn't be players in the anim. Maybe taking a few strafing shots at the main vehicles.

Fair enough, not the impression I had getting into this though.

Wheeled vehicles are not my cup of tea, so I will sit this one out

Ernest
04-21-2009, 11:40 AM
OK, there is just one clarification that I would really like to make.

This is not my challenge. This is our challenge.
The community as a whole can mold and evolve the rules over time to make this as fun as possible.

However, I think that if we start worrying about that now, we will get into eight weeks of debates, polls and colorful declamations. There will be very good and very valid points on both sides. By the time the challenge starts, if it ever does, nobody will be sure if this is still alive or not.

The modeling challenges allow each judge to bend the rules. Some have increased the time limit by different amounts. If we want to have people accepting to judge every new challenge, we have to give the judges some leeway to give the competition their personal flavor.

In order to avoid that deadly "over-meeting'ed-project" syndrome, we should just accept that we have a judge for this challenge (Shrox) and he'll set the rules for this first challenge. If we're playing to win, we will play to the judge's taste. We have three months to argue and define the rules for challenge #2 but let's not allow that to stop challenge #1 from starting right away with the current judge's rules.

If anyone is interested, in (as George Lucas would call it) my "original vision (TM)", I thought of this in very similar terms to the modeling challenges. In those challenges, the focus is on modeling but everyone must post a render with as much bling as they can achieve. In this one, the focus should be animation but the render should have as much bling as you can achieve.

I wouldn't worry about people losing interest in 3 months. If you finish an entry tomorrow afternoon, say at about 3:30, and the 4:00 train does not arrive until 4:15, you can feel free to use the extra time to upload your entry on that same day.

Just like the 1 hour modeling challenges do not need a week to be completed, this challenge should not need the 3 months. The modeling challenges keep us entertained with great entries popping up every day of the week. It's my hope that this challenge will have great entries coming in every week of the three months. Nobody needs to use the entire three months or wait until they're almost over. As soon as you finish and post your first entry, you can start on your second one. Some people will finish their animation in a week and post it. Other people will be in a project this months and the next and will not be able to start until June 1.

The idea of giving three months is for the people who have a great idea for their animation but they don't happen to have the necessary models. That would give them time to model or to ask someone to model a few things for them.

As for "wheels or no wheels"... since this all started from the critique of an aircraft race where the planes didn't even seem to have a landing gear, I never thought of limiting it to vehicles with wheels.

PS: It would be nice if next week's speed modeling challenge would collaborate with us by making "vehicles" the topic of the week and making the entries available to the animators who cannot model vehicles of their own.

Glendalough
04-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Fair enough, not the impression I had getting into this though.

Wheeled vehicles are not my cup of tea, so I will sit this one out

Perhaps you could do some sort of concept sedan chair. Something that all these failing Automobile companies could build. Though maybe they are still using cars out in Galway?

cresshead
04-21-2009, 12:33 PM
made a start!

can you guess the 'race' i'm thinking of??

if anyone wants this proxy...shout up..

JeffrySG
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
made a start!

can you guess the 'race' i'm thinking of??

if anyone wants this proxy...shout up..

the bike/truck race from Terminator2?

cresshead
04-21-2009, 01:33 PM
the bike/truck race from terminator2?

dude!

toby
04-21-2009, 02:11 PM
The modeling challenges allow each judge to bend the rules. Some have increased the time limit by different amounts. If we want to have people accepting to judge every new challenge, we have to give the judges some leeway to give the competition their personal flavor.

In order to avoid that deadly "over-meeting'ed-project" syndrome, we should just accept that we have a judge for this challenge (Shrox) and he'll set the rules for this first challenge. If we're playing to win, we will play to the judge's taste. We have three months to argue and define the rules for challenge #2 but let's not allow that to stop challenge #1 from starting right away with the current judge's rules.
Since I'm not interested in making another Battle of the 70's supercars, nor appealing to someone's personal taste rather than their judgment of skill ( who wants to deal with a client for no money?? ) I'm out.

Woulda been fun too, I'm not an animator, but I've always studied car chases, watched races, and raced myself. Here's what I had so far

Ernest
04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
appealing to someone's personal taste rather than their judgment of skill ( who wants to deal with a client for no money?? ) It would be ideal to have a cold and calculating judge completely devoid of personal taste, preferences, passion, friendships, past experiences, or any type of bias. As long as we use human judges that will not exist. That's why I said that if your only objective is to win, and the grand prize is to become the judge's hero, logically and realistically, you have to play for the judge. If your primary objective is to submit the best animation you can, then who cares if you win or not if 90% of the people watching the animations think you were the best?

I'm out.
...Here's what I had so far Since you posted what you have so far, you're not really out. If no one posts anything better, you could still win!

toby
04-21-2009, 03:14 PM
It would be ideal to have a cold and calculating judge completely devoid of personal taste, preferences, passion, friendships, past experiences, or any type of bias. As long as we use human judges that will not exist. That's why I said that if your only objective is to win, and the grand prize is to become the judge's hero, logically and realistically, you have to play for the judge. If your primary objective is to submit the best animation you can, then who cares if you win or not if 90% of the people watching the animations think you were the best?
Since you posted what you have so far, you're not really out. If no one posts anything better, you could still win!
I know I'm not the best animator here, that's not the point. I'm not going to participate in an overly strict challenge that started out very broad, then changed on a personal whim after it started.

JeffrySG
04-21-2009, 03:45 PM
dude!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

adamredwoods
04-21-2009, 05:12 PM
The true winners of this challenge will be those who find the time to enter, regardless of adherence to the rules.

If I enter, it will be a flying one, and I don't really care.

R.Feeney
04-22-2009, 04:43 PM
the main focus is to be wheeled vehicles on the ground I believe

As for "wheels or no wheels"... since this all started from the critique of an aircraft race where the planes didn't even seem to have a landing gear, I never thought of limiting it to vehicles with wheels.

PS: It would be nice if next week's speed modeling challenge would collaborate with us by making "vehicles" the topic of the week and making the entries available to the animators who cannot model vehicles of their own.

I would need to know if its just wheeled vehicles or any type before I could start a modeling challenge thread to collaborate.

I asked on the current thread if the rest of the guys are interested in it.

shrox
04-23-2009, 03:28 AM
OK, I thought this was a good idea. One question, is the reference to "speed" about how fast you can complete it, or is it about giving the impression of high speed travel?

R.Feeney
04-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Seriously, if I cant get an answer Ill just do something else with the modeling challenge this week and its not my choice next week.

And I want to post the new challenge shortly,within the next hour or so, I`m going out for a while after that.

shrox
04-23-2009, 05:16 AM
As originally posted

Rules:

Subject - Vehicle race.
Sound is optional.

Time Limit - 3 months.

Glendalough
04-23-2009, 05:22 AM
As originally posted...
Subject - Vehicle race.
Sound is optional.

Time Limit - 3 months.

Perhaps just go by this and see what people do and are happy doing, and then use as criteria for the 'vehicle' definition in this challenge.

R.Feeney
04-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Ok :D
Ill get it started in a few min.

shrox
04-23-2009, 05:30 AM
Perhaps just go by this and see what people do and are happy doing, and then use as criteria for the 'vehicle' definition in this challenge.

Yes, I was mistaken in my thought that it was wheeled vehicles. I was assuming it was in reference to my car animations, but the rules clearly state any type of vehicle. Rickshaws anyone?

R.Feeney
04-23-2009, 05:32 AM
I was thinking tiny fleas draging enormous carts :D

R.Feeney
04-23-2009, 07:49 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=875373#post875373
Started over here

R.Feeney
04-25-2009, 06:58 PM
http://vimeo.com/4274762

A distinct lack of time has left me with only this done so far.

Glendalough
04-27-2009, 05:56 AM
A short inspirational and poignant B movie clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX84E7bZ8Us

JeffrySG
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Looking really nice so far! I like the exhaust look on the ships too. :thumbsup:

geothefaust
04-27-2009, 01:42 PM

Looks great so far. :thumbsup:

flakester
04-28-2009, 02:34 AM
I don't want to spam loads of threads, but it'd be rude not to let anyone thinking of entering this animation challenge know that I've just posted a semi-rigged shopping trolley over in the speed modelling thread here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98090), should anyone want to use it.

Nice work there R.Feeney btw. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

THREEL
04-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Did any of you guys see the huge pileups at Talladega over the weekend? Now there's some great reference footage there my friends.

Here's a Link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/9509284/Making-sense-of-the-Talladega-madness