PDA

View Full Version : GLSL mode crashes Layout/Modeler

Costanel
04-16-2009, 05:32 AM
Everytime I switch to GLSL mode it crashes Lightwave.
This happens every time, in as well Modeler as Layout, when I'm in Textured or Textured Wire mode. :(

I've been ignoring this option from some time, because Multitexturing works, but I would truly like to have this fixed to be able to preview complex textures/procedurals.

Tried newer drivers, tried clearing configs, tried several Nvidia options, but nothing helps.
There have been several posts on this forum, but none have an answer as far as I could find.

In Layout, under "About OpenGL" it shows the following information:
Version: 2.0.0.
Maximum Lights: 8
Maximum Texture Size: 8192
Multitexture support: No
Separate Specular Color: No
Compiled Vertex Arrays: No
GLSL Available: No

Looks like it fails to find a lot of important information.

Has anyone been able to fix this problem?
I know to several of you have (had) the same problem.

My Specs:
Intel Q6600
4096 Gb Ram
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
Vista Home Premium X64

Thanks in advance!

Costanel
04-16-2009, 02:11 PM
The problem is fixed!

Looks like parts of an old videodriver still were on my HD, and that made GLSL corrupt. After some tweaking and testing, I finally found a solution.

For anyone else experiencing these problems:
1) download & install Driversweeper(http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/)
2) uninstall Nvidia drivers
3) run driversweeper
4) restart
5) rerun driversweeper
6) install new drivers.

Hope this will help all other experiencing this problem. :thumbsup:

IMI
04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
You don't really have to go to all that trouble though. There's no real need to install a new program to get rid of your old Nvidia drivers.

In Windows Vista x64 they get installed to C:\NVIDIA\WinVista64. That folder name would be different in XP or in x86 of course, but the root folder of C:\NVIDIA\ would be the same. You just have to look for a folder with subfolders like "182.06", "182.08" and so on.

All you have to do is uninstall your old graphics driver, reboot, delete the folder of the driver you don't want, and reinstall the new ones. Might want to do the deleting in safe mode.

Costanel
04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, I've tried that several times, that won't help at all.
The files that can be found there are only the unpacked installation files, not the files the drivers use.
For as well Ati, as for NVidia, these can generally be removed safely. Windows searches for the driver files somewhere else, often in the Windows root or System32 folder.

The problem in this case were more in the register and system32 directory, it looks like some old files were not being overwritten, nor being removed.

And it's safer to use such a program than removing every file with "nv..." in it.

Nevertheless thanks for the comment. :)

IMI
04-16-2009, 04:20 PM
System32\Drivers and SysWOW, actually...apparently...

I was told to do what I had written above. I thought that was where the actual drivers are being referenced from. Sorry about that, and thanks for the info - I'm glad this came up because now I know better, and there's someone I need to go have a word with..... ;)

And you're right, it's not a good idea just to delete everything with nv in it, probably especially if you have an nvidia chipset on your motherboard. ;)