PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #34 - At the end of the garden

R.Feeney
04-16-2009, 05:17 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #34 - At the end of the garden
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group (http://www.newtek.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7)

Subject - At the end of the garden.
The dark corner at the back of the garden where all the cast offs end up The strange little plant that no one can quite recognise, the rusted remains of that wheel barrow, that thing that moves when no one is looking.
You know the sort of thing, have fun:thumbsup:

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 22 April 2200 GMT.

COBRASoft
04-16-2009, 05:41 AM
And I was thinking about a nice gardenhouse, at the end of my garden... :)

colkai
04-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Funny, I was thinking Aviary myself. :p

art
04-16-2009, 07:55 AM
My wife should enter this competition. She's an avid gardener. Unfortunately, she does not know much about using a computer. Nevermind the 3D modeling :)
I have a dark corner in my yard. It is full of rocks, old grass and sticks.

R.Feeney
04-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Ya, a shed or gardenhouse, an aviary or some rocks and grass. they all sound good.

adamredwoods
04-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I like it, it's about time for some plants! RFeeney, you can enter this one since you can't win it anyways.

Iain
04-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Nice. :thumbsup:
Hopefully I'll have some free time this week.

Tharizidium
04-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Kinda a cool topic, too bad there aren't any other submissions yet.
Lightwave, 60 minutes of modelling and a bunch of time to try (and fail) at setting up a decent render. Hope I have the needed renders. It says 600x800 renders and a wireframe so I guess this should probably be okay. I was trying to get the really dejected feel so there's the smaller pot with a limpy plant inside and there's the much larger and healthier flower, renders didn't work but I think I got the spirit of the comp anyways

Hopper
04-16-2009, 09:27 PM
So is a rib, an apple , and a snake out of the question? :D

adamredwoods
04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Lightwave, 60 minutes of modelling and a bunch of time to try (and fail) at setting up a decent render. Hope I have the needed renders. It says 600x800 renders and a wireframe so I guess this should probably be okay.

You have the needed renders. Although, just a tip, I'd apply some antialiasing (AA) to your renders. It'll help show where creases and polygons are showing on your models. I usually use the perspective camera with adaptive sampling turned on.

Kuzey
04-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Nice attempt Tharizidium, extra points for jumping in like that :thumbsup:

I was making a mushroom character but Modeler crashed before I could save it. The second attempt didn't turn out as well, but I should get lucky on the third go :D

Kuzey

R.Feeney
04-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for joining Tharizidium, seems to be a slow week this time.

I have Something built, just need to find a bit of time for a render and the surfacing too.

Oedo 808
04-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Damn, this is a slow week. I might see if I can get something in, but not if I get home after 23:00 which is becoming too regular an occurrence for me. Wasn't planning to enter as I'm trying to focus on other areas in my free time, but I'd hate to see these challenges fade away.

@Tharizidium, nice job, these challenges are a great vehicle for moving you onwards and upwards. I like the thought that's gone into your entry. :thumbsup:

THREEL
04-19-2009, 07:03 PM
So is a rib, an apple , and a snake out of the question? :D

Well, the category is "At the end of the garden". :) So, here's an entry from me.

It's supposed to be the flaming sword that blocks the entrance on the east end of the Garden of Eden. I didn't do any composite work. The backdrop was used for just that. The render with the more orange sword was illuminated by the particle driven flame only, no lights. The other version had lighting to light the sword only. The flame was excluded in the lights' lists. I think the flame has more of a yellow tint to the second render, due to the lights' reflections off the sword. Also, I've added a wire frame shot.

Modeling time: 60 minutes
Layout and getting the flame close to passable: Forever :D
Render time for each frame: Almost 3 Hrs. PDL 9 pass

Tharizidium
04-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all the help! @adamredwoods I tried that and really does help. Seems funny that something so simple has been so evasive recently. Too bad there's not more entries though. Maybe everybody else is in my position but actually doing their work =) I have my big IB exams coming up so I haven't had much time. I tried playing around with the settings for a bit though, and managed to improve. It worked really well with just AA but I decided to try adding Depth of Field and Fog to add to the effect, which I think made it closer to the scene which I first had imagined. Still some bugs to work out, but I think I'm going to have to wait for summer. Thanks for the help again though.
@Threel-That's a really cool idea and the model looks pretty good. Would great to model because the topology won't bend and shows exactly where to paint everything. Cool work!

THREEL
04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
@Tharizidium--Nice job on yours as well.

I have a real hard time seeing some renders on my computer monitor. They appear really, really, really dark. I have the contrast and brightness cranked up all the way. I'm not sure, but I think my monitor's on it's way out. Also, it makes it hard to know if I'm getting the lighting and things like luminosity set just right.

How do my renders look on your end?

tHANX!

Hopper
04-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Well, the category is "At the end of the garden". :) So, here's an entry from me.
lol .. Just seeing the thumbnail, I thought "MAN! this guy must have some pretty big balls to burn a cross at the end of his garden!!!"

IMI
04-19-2009, 09:46 PM
@Tharizidium--Nice job on yours as well.

I have a real hard time seeing some renders on my computer monitor. They appear really, really, really dark. I have the contrast and brightness cranked up all the way. I'm not sure, but I think my monitor's on it's way out. Also, it makes it hard to know if I'm getting the lighting and things like luminosity set just right.

How do my renders look on your end?

tHANX!

Looks good, Al. :)

Actually, I'd say those renders seem a little on the bright side, but that's subjective. It is daytime in your scene, after all. FWIW, far as I can tell, my monitor is calibrated correctly or at least close enough, so if those renders look really dark to you then yes, your monitor probably is on its way out if you have the brightness all the way up. Might want to try fiddling with the gamma controls in the Nvidia Control Panel....if you're using an Nvidia GPU, that is.

THREEL
04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
lol .. Just seeing the thumbnail, I thought "MAN! this guy must have some pretty big balls to burn a cross at the end of his garden!!!"

Naw... It's a sword, not a cross, but I could see where you'd think that from just seeing the thumbnail. :D

Maybe, I should have added a title stating: Flaming Sword, Not Burning Cross :)

IMI
04-19-2009, 09:55 PM

Dude, you gotta stop doing that to me. I'm *still* laughing. :D

THREEL
04-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Looks good, Al. :)

Actually, I'd say those renders seem a little on the bright side, but that's subjective. It is daytime in your scene, after all. FWIW, far as I can tell, my monitor is calibrated correctly or at least close enough, so if those renders look really dark to you then yes, your monitor probably is on its way out if you have the brightness all the way up. Might want to try fiddling with the gamma controls in the Nvidia Control Panel....if you're using an Nvidia GPU, that is.

tHANX, IMI!

My renders look okay to me... It's almost everybody elses that seems very dark. I had to adjust the colors on my BG in modeler to even see them. I can barely read most of my dialogue boxes (i.e. Statistics and Presets), because the letters are soooo dark. I'm not exactly sure what graphics card my computer has. It's integrated into the mother board. I'll check and see if I can get it figured out.

R.Feeney
04-20-2009, 10:39 AM
This is a two for one really, The sundial and a set to put it in.
The Sundial took just about an hour and the steps set about 10 min.
I know I said I was going to sit out a few weeks but I cant win this one or the next. :D

JeffrySG
04-20-2009, 10:54 AM
This is a two for one really, The sundial and a set to put it in.
The Sundial took just about an hour and the steps set about 10 min.
I know I said I was going to sit out a few weeks but I cant win this one or the next. :D

Great job! love the renders!

RollerJesus
04-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Feeney,

I saw that sundial and thought, well at least he didn't model that detail on the face within the hour... then I got to the wires and realized that I don't really like you all that much. :)

I should have some time for this one tonight or manana.

Nice one!

R.Feeney
04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Great job! love the renders!

Feeney,

I saw that sundial and thought, well at least he didn't model that detail on the face within the hour... then I got to the wires and realized that I don't really like you all that much. :)

I should have some time for this one tonight or manana.

Nice one!
:D The face detail was the easy part, some radial arraying And beveling on the face its self. The letters were done with the text tool, one group at a time, I started with the XII typed in the place it would finish up in. then with the action center set to pivot, Origin would have worked too, I rotated it into the place next to where it started, then typed the next one XI rotate again by opening the numeric panel and just hitting apply( it should have the settings retained from the previous time. Repeat until all the numbers are done. A couple of quick bevels on the results and you are done.

The gnomon caused me some problems though or at least thats what slowed me down, the hard edges combined with the curves underneath kept going a bit wrong.

COBRASoft
04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
R;Feeny: Nice one! Those steps in about 10 minutes? That's fast :rock:

R.Feeney
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
There are only about 8 or 9 different parts to it and the majority are just boxes with rounded edges.

colkai
04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Ok, now I'm depressed. :(

;)

R.Feeney
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I have some tablets you can take for that :)

Kuzey
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Haha....R.Feeney, now that's too cool :thumbsup:

Kuzey

THREEL
04-20-2009, 02:47 PM
@R. Feeney-Nice job on the sundial. My monitor's giving me difficulties, so it's hard for me to see some of the renders.

Here are a couple more renders of my sword, without the flame, so you can get a good look at it, especially the handle.

Tharizidium
04-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Man R.Feeny that's awesome, I can hardly believe the detail you got in in that time. Guess it really takes a lot of practise and planning. @Threel, the renders aren't terrible but the bg looks a bit washed out and the fire looks rather over-bloomed imo. In the most recent pics it just looks like a really bright sunny day.

RollerJesus
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
An old tricycle. 59 minutes modeling, could have easily kept going as it looks very little like what I wanted it to.

I started to rush after I spent he first 40 minutes on the front fork and front wheel. A render will follow when I can get to it. Maybe tonight, more likely tomorrow.

colkai
04-21-2009, 03:19 AM
I have some tablets you can take for that :)

Tablets? Nah, Whisky man, Whisky! :D

RollerJesus
04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Tablets? Nah, Whisky man, Whisky! :D

Whiskey makes me want to fight, not sleep.

R.Feeney
04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Well you could break up the tablets into the whiskey, the best of both worlds :D

R.Feeney
04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
An old tricycle. 59 minutes modeling, could have easily kept going as it looks very little like what I wanted it to.

I started to rush after I spent he first 40 minutes on the front fork and front wheel. A render will follow when I can get to it. Maybe tonight, more likely tomorrow.

I like where you are going with this:thumbsup:

R.Feeney
04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
A few subD Boxes for the spider and two point polys for the web.
I imagine that the render may be difficult to see on some monitors.
I discovered something new (for me at least) If you are using a background image in your render and you want to use Depth of Field. The camera sees the background image as being as far away as the farthest object. So to boost the DOF effect on the background add a null object and move it away from the camera, how far depends on how strong you want the effect.
Or so it seems :)

adamredwoods
04-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Rare flower.
Modeling time- 60min full. I could have done more.

RollerJesus
04-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Here's my render. Those leaves looked great in OpenGL but I couldn't get the to render without showing the whole quad, so I just threw some junk in there but I needed something so, eh...

JeffrySG
04-22-2009, 08:37 AM

I really like how the front wheel is all bend up. Nice job!

A few subD Boxes for the spider and two point polys for the web.
I imagine that the render may be difficult to see on some monitors.
I discovered something new (for me at least) If you are using a background image in your render and you want to use Depth of Field. The camera sees the background image as being as far away as the farthest object. So to boost the DOF effect on the background add a null object and move it away from the camera, how far depends on how strong you want the effect.
Or so it seems :)

That's great to know about the DOF, RF!

flakester
04-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Here's two entries from me, nice simple ones to get back into the flow of things... :D

The first one, some bricks. Is it just me, or do most people have these at the bottom of their gardens? Ok, just me then!
About 23 mins for the modelling, roughly the same for the two renders.

And the second one, a solar powered lamp-kinda-thing.
Just under 40 mins for the modelling, and about 30 mins to make a bad job of the render.

Both models available should anyone feel the need.

Absolutely great work all. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

Mark The Great
04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
About 10-20 minutes on this one.

It's still in progress, but I doubt that I'll have time to finish it.

First, I crashed modeler and almost lost the model. Then stencil started revolting and randomly reassigning surfaces. So, no render this time.

robert_Lavigne
04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Here's my version of an old time reel lawn mower. I'm kinds mad I'm not going to have time to texture this, but thought I'd throw it up here anyways.

Robert

RudySchneider
04-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Nice hand-push mower, robert_Lavine. Though, I notice you'd probably have difficulty cutting much grass without the fixed, flat blade that's normally on the bottom. Unless it's just hidden in this view...

R.Feeney
04-22-2009, 02:19 PM
About 45 min to the deadline. Remember wires and a render to be in with a chance.
It dosent have to be a textured render or even a good render but it is part of the challenge.

Mark The Great
04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
About 45 min to the deadline. Remember wires and a render to be in with a chance.
It dosent have to be a textured render or even a good render but it is part of the challenge.

Do openGL renders count? :D

Kuzey
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Here's mine, a magic mushroom...it took four attempts, two of those were because of Modeler crashing.

I got bored on the fourth go and so it took the full 60 minutes and I morphed it after the time limit. Not to mention the render is going to take a couple of hours...so I'm out :hey:

Nice work guys :thumbsup:

Kuzey

adamredwoods
04-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Here's mine, a magic mushroom...it took four attempts, two of those were because of Modeler crashing.

My modeler kept crashing (LW9.6) so I cleared the .CFG files out and that seemed to clear it up so far.

--Great job all, show some quick, flat renders!

Kuzey
04-22-2009, 02:57 PM
My modeler kept crashing (LW9.6) so I cleared the .CFG files out and that seemed to clear it up so far.

--Great job all, show some quick, flat renders!

Ok...I wasn't go to post this because I'm not happy the ground or grass but here you go. I'm still out of the running though :hey:

I'll delete the .cfg files and see what happens. :thumbsup:

Kuzey

R.Feeney
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Ernest over on the Speed animation challenge (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97817) has asked
"It would be nice if next week's speed modeling challenge would collaborate with us by making "vehicles" the topic of the week and making the entries available to the animators who cannot model vehicles of their own."

I`m not sure though if its any type of vehicle or just wheeled ones

So if you guys want to give a yes or a no that would be great.

if its a no I was thinking of Building Bits (Architectural elements) for the next one

Hopper
04-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Ernest over on the Speed animation challenge (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97817) has asked
"It would be nice if next week's speed modeling challenge would collaborate with us by making "vehicles" the topic of the week and making the entries available to the animators who cannot model vehicles of their own."

if its a no I was thinking of Building Bits (Architectural elements) for the next one
Vehicles in 60 minutes huh .. that's a stretch. Even 120 minutes .. hmm .. well .. for me anyway - pretty impossible unless they will be low poly "toy" looking things.. :)

RollerJesus
04-22-2009, 03:06 PM

I think that's a good idea. It looks like they could use a little 'speed modeling challenge' good will over there anyways but I'd like to know if it needs to be wheeled or not for sure. :thumbsup:

Agree with Hopper on the timing though. 120 would be possible I think.

R.Feeney
04-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Ok...I wasn't go to post this because I'm not happy the ground or grass but here you go. I'm still out of the running though :hey:

Kuzey

You got it in before the deadline and morphing is more rigging than modeling I think

robert_Lavigne
04-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice hand-push mower, robert_Lavine. Though, I notice you'd probably have difficulty cutting much grass without the fixed, flat blade that's normally on the bottom. Unless it's just hidden in this view...

It's there, Its just behind the reels. I had wanted to included the rollers that go on the back of most of these as well but my 60 minutes was up.

R.Feeney
04-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Tharizidium - Some nice clean modeling there. The later render came out great and gave a much better idea of what you were trying for.

Threel - I would not fancy leaving the garden by the east exit, if the flames don't get you the sharp edge will.
For some reason the wires wont open for me, a snag at my end no doubt, properties show it as 6,000 x 4,500 damn what size of a screen do you have :D
From what I can see through the inferno you got some good shapes going on.

And them I see the flame free renders looking good. They do seem a bit bright to me.

Me- sundial, Seems a bit dark in there for one of them to work.

RollerJesus - The very sort of thing that was in my head when I picked the subject, the battered wheel makes me smile.

Some guy who looks like me - spider web, they are just two point polys where is the skill in that Bah!! :D

adamredwoods - Good clean modeling and attention to detail. A nice moody render too.

flakester - What can I say. simple straightforward sweet. Both of them.

Mark The Great - Looks like you were going for some serious detailing.
Do openGL renders count?
1,2,3,4.........10,000, 10,001

robert_Lavigne - Nice work, I still have pains in my ribs from pushing one of these years ago :D

Kuzey - Great concept and execution.

So a winner is needed, someone to look up to, a shining paragon of modeling virtue... I may be stretching a point here, just a little

I`m torn between a few of the entries.......

I`m going for a smoke and a think.......

So adamredwoods rare flower is my pick for this week.
there was not much between most of the entries this week, my most difficult decision yet:thumbsup:

Well done Adam

COBRASoft
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Congrats adamredwoods!

Vehicles in the next challenge? In 120 mins? Damn, that's way out of my possibilities. Good luck participants!

THREEL
04-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Threel - I would not fancy leaving the garden by the east exit, if the flames don't get you the sharp edge will.
For some reason the wires wont open for me, a snag at my end no doubt, properties show it as 6,000 x 4,500 damn what size of a screen do you have :D
From what I can see through the inferno you got some good shapes going on.

And them I see the flame free renders looking good. They do seem a bit bright to me.

The flames not meant to keep people in, it's meant to keep people out. :D

Congrats, Adam! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why the wires are coming through so large, I'll check the settings and see if I can figure it out. As far as the brightness goes, I may have to get another monitor, some day soon, hopefully, because this one must be on its way out. Many of the renders that everyone else is sending seem very dark on my end. I think it's my monitor. I have brightness and contrast maxed out.

RollerJesus
04-22-2009, 07:13 PM
The flames not meant to keep people in, it's meant to keep people out. :D

Congrats, Adam! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why the wires are coming through so large, I'll check the settings and see if I can figure it out. As far as the brightness goes, I may have to get another monitor, some day soon, hopefully, because this one must be on its way out. Many of the renders that everyone else is sending seem very dark on my end. I think it's my monitor. I have brightness and contrast maxed out.

My render was super dark, partially intentional, but I overdid it a bit.

Congrats Adam!

adamredwoods
04-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Cool! :D Thanks, and great entries everyone!

Here's a little touchup render I did afterwards.

flakester
04-23-2009, 01:23 AM
!w00t! Grats Adam. :thumbsup: Ace job.

--
flakester

colkai
04-23-2009, 03:08 AM
Well done Adam, some good entries again. :)

R.Feeney
04-23-2009, 06:04 AM
New challenge started
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=875336#post875336

adamredwoods
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Quick question. Which contest number am I judging?

R.Feeney
04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Quick question. Which contest number am I judging?

You get to pick the subject and the winner for number 36, You can start it up any time after Wednesday 29 April 2200 GMT the deadline for this weeks one.

IMI
04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey congrats, Adam, nice job! :thumbsup:

And congrats to everyone else, too. :)

I've been too busy the last couple weeks, hope to get something in for the next one. Looks like a cool theme!