PDA

View Full Version : Object Dissolve Alpha bug - Case 22301

Chrusion
04-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Since the 9.6 beta forums are locked, not sure if it's acceptable to post new bugs here, but I'm going to give it a go in case any one actually cares.

Case 22301 (https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?pg=pgPublicView&sTicket=22301_4331) - contains scene content and a movie showing the rendered alpha compared (slit screened) to rgb.

Chrusion
04-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Just a follow up... if you've viewed the movie posted with the Fogbuz case, you'll understand why this is such a critical, really, really bad bug... you cannot render out such a scene as 32-bit anything and expect to be able to composite it as pre-multiplied with black over an independent background layer in Aftereffects or any other compositor due to the seriously POPPING alphas as objects are dissolved in/out at different times.

This makes it impossible to deliver to my client what they need... rendered dissolving objects overlapping each other over a black/empty background so that they or I can composite it over independent background img. seqs. Instead, I'm forced to render the scene WITH a background img. seq. included in LW, rather than having the FREEDOM to change the bg at will via compositing.

ARGhhhhh! Why is LW so compositor unfriendly? Alphas just used to WORK before 9.3, now all we get is this whackery, surfacing at inopportune times. Dang, I wish I had discovered this during 9.5/9.6 beta testing! Now I doubt there will be a patch since the main effort of the Dev Team is working on the massive fix-this, fix-that, add-this, enable-that, redesign-this, redesign-that of Core.

Valter
04-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I did have problens like this 6 years ago. I canīt remember what lw version was, but I donīt solve that problem. I got different results turn on/off raytrace reflection and transparency, disable/enable flare2alpha plugin. But not sucess. I remember that I created a thread talking about this lwbug. But I imagine that NT team donīt read that. My solution was make different render to comp on After Effects.

Good Luck and excuse my english.

JBT27
04-19-2009, 05:17 AM
As I've also been going round in cirlces with another bug that I thought was fixed, but apparently not (trans maps in fog), and that's unleashed all kinds of time-wasting hell for us, I'll back-up what Valter says and suggest looking at another approach.....though I imagine you already have or are.

I'll admit our problem and its consequences has made me start to think again about all these blasted half-assed things in LW. As so much of a job can be accomplished in comp, and as that much effort was poured into 9.x's new renderer, you still have to wonder why NT didn't run all the way and develop a fully-fledged (and working) pass system BEFORE heading into CORE. That would give LW alot more mileage as a production tool right now.

As it is, I can only wonder when we shall see such things in CORE.....

Good luck getting that job done.

Julian.

Chrusion
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
I was forced to render the anim WITH the bg img seq as there was no freakin' other way to do it. No, could not render out each object independently and do dissolve in an AE comp. Oh well. If client needs new BG, they'll have to pay for re-rendering. I just won't tell them I have a new i7... hehehe.