PDA

View Full Version : Morph Help (please)- unwrapping a sphere into a rectangle

Keda
04-15-2009, 02:32 PM
As part of an conceptual animation, I'd like to take a model of the globe and unwrap the surface geometry to form a Mercator map. Here's the sequence as I imagine it:

1) Globe is spinning
2) After a rotation or two, as the back part of the globe is moving forward, the surface will peal away and for a rectangular map of the world. So the end result would look like the globe's surface was being pulled off (paperlike?)

To do this, I think I need to create a morph...but I'm having a hard time getting my head around the approach that I should be using. Is a morph the way to go?

TIA

prospector
04-15-2009, 03:55 PM
A morph is probably the worst way..well unless you chain many many back to back.
A morph only works in a straight line..so as it peels off in the back it will go in a straight line to the final morph position...probably going thru the globe and not like unrolling a paper.
You COULD do it by morphing the globe coming off and unrolling to a flat by manually rotating the points needed by 5 degrees at a time and making a morph out of it and then chaining all those morphs to happen right after one another.

I personally would go with bones with a string of them around the equator and have the weights going north and south for each bone say every 15 degrees at the equator and following the longitudinal lines for each bone to the poles.
Then you can unwrap the bones with IK or IKB and finish with FK so it's flat.

But that's just me.

Keda
04-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I had been thinking about a morph because the polys need to end up in the shape of a rectangle. Would you suggest manually adjusting the points over time to get a rectangle?

prospector
04-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Yea..if the points MUST end up in a certain shape then a multi morph is best. the more you make the better it will look.