PDA

View Full Version : William Vaughan joins Splashlight as Animation Director

joezeff
04-15-2009, 09:56 AM
William Vaughan joins Splashlight as Animation Director

NewTek sponsors May 8 open house to welcome William to New York City

Splashlight is pleased to announce the hiring of William Vaughan as its first-ever Animation Director, expanding the capabilities of its creative division to include television commercials, video games and animated programming.

To celebrate William’s arrival, Splashlight plans an open house at its Soho headquarters on Friday, May 8 from 6 to 8 p.m. The event is sponsored by NewTek, makers of LightWave 3D software. Splashlight and other major studios use LightWave 3D to create computer-generated imagery (CGI) for print, animation and interactive content. Refreshments will be served, and a free copy of LightWave 3D (retail value: $995) will be given as a door prize.

“I can’t imagine a better addition to our team,” said Joe Zeff, Splashlight’s Creative Director. “All of a sudden we’re able to produce commercials and feature films. We’re now able to provide our clients with true multi-platform content — CGI for print, video and interactive.”

William comes to Splashlight from the Digital Animation and Visual Effects School at Universal Studios in Florida, where he was Director of Industry Relations and Head of Curriculum. He has personally trained hundreds of students to become professional animators at major studios such as Rhythm and Hues, Digital Domain and EA Sports. Among his prized pupils: the art department at NASA’s Johnson Space Center and actor Dick Van Dyke. He recently worked with Pixar Animation Studios on characters for “Partly Cloudy,” a short film coming to theaters May 29.

“I'm extremely excited to be part of such an amazingly talented team,” said Vaughan, 34. “Splashlight is the perfect breeding ground to develop animated shorts and features.”

When it comes to LightWave 3D, William wrote the book. Literally. The 1,400-page manual that comes with every copy of LightWave 3D was written by William and his colleagues. For the past six years, he has worked for NewTek as its LightWave Evangelist, training CGI artists throughout the world and authoring more than 300 tutorials and instructional videos. He has played a major role in the evolution of the industry-leading software that is used extensively by Splashlight’s creative team.

William has been published by every major CGI magazine, as well as contributing to 17 books. He has written and directed several award-winning films, and has worked on commercials for well-known brands that include Compaq, Care Bears and Sky Dancers. He has created thousands of original computer-generated characters, including Tofu the Vegan Zombie, which is sold as a collectible toy and featured in an animated short film that has been shown at film festivals worldwide. To view William’s character work, visit www.splashlightcreative.com/characters.mov

William joins a team at Splashlight that is redefining the way that companies create imagery for advertising, marketing and publishing. By combining computer-generated imagery with photography and creative retouching, Splashlight produces content that can be multipurposed for print, web and video. The creative team has produced artwork for hundreds of major magazine covers, including Newsweek, Time and Rolling Stone. Recent advertising clients include Pepsi, M&Ms, Chrysler and Porsche. For more information, visit www.splashlightcreative.com

Splashlight is located at One Hudson Square, 75 Varick Street (at the corner of Canal Street), Third Floor, New York City. To RSVP to the May 8 open house, send an e-mail to [email protected]

For more information or press inquiries, contact Creative Director Joe Zeff at 646-536-9165, or [email protected]

---

About NewTek
Benefiting producers and artists with its cost-effective and ground-breaking technologies, NewTek Inc. is a leader in portable live production, video editing, 3D animation and special effects tools, including LightWave 3D® and the TriCaster™ product line. NewTek has won numerous industry accolades, including two Emmy® Awards. NewTek products have been used in blockbuster films and television shows, including “The Dark Knight,” “Iron Man,” “300,” “Hancock,” “Tropic Thunder,” “Battlestar Galactica,” “Lost” and more. Clients include: Fox News, BBC, NHL, NBA Development League, MTV, VH1, the Steve Harvey Radio Show, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD). NewTek is privately owned and based in San Antonio, Texas. For more information, visit www.newtek.com

About Splashlight
Splashlight provides next-generation content solutions for advertising agencies, major brands and publishing companies, blending technology with creativity to deliver high-quality, cost-effective imagery. At its 60,000 sq. ft. headquarters in New York City, Splashlight caters to the world’s leading photographers with top-quality studios, equipment rental and digital capture. Splashlight develops custom solutions for retailers requiring photography and video for e-commerce, and its creative division uses computer-generated imaging (CGI) to produce print, animation and interactive content for advertising agencies, major brands and publishing companies. Recent clients include Calvin Klein, Target, Pepsi, Chrysler, M&Ms and Porsche. Splashlight is privately owned, with locations in New York City and Miami. For more information, visit www.splashlight.com

JeffrySG
04-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Big Congrats to William and Splashlight! I hope you enjoy NYC!

Larry_g1s
04-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Very cool. I'll be looking forward to seeing what's produced from you guys using the software many of us have grown to love. Congrats to you William on the work with Pixar.

adamredwoods
04-15-2009, 10:41 AM
What a big move, congratulations, William!

Titus
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Congrats to one of the most prolific LightWave users.

phil lawson
04-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Wishing William all the best - he's a dead on guy.

OnlineRender
04-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Nicely Done , Congrats , free copy of LW at the door, worth jumping on a plane and going to NY for another wee trip :) , honestly well done , i love to hear people moving up in the world .

Does that mean forum members need to call him big willy now :)

Congrats wish you all the best for the future and look foward to seeing even more amazing work .

LEGEND

:bowdown:

now i have to break the news to my wife that she dosnt need to hear his voice for endless hours of video , shell be gutted

EDIT " SHROX you were talking about heros in animation industry theres mine ,wouldnt be able to open layout if it was for william "

LEGEND END OF

ohhh intership at splashlight now that would be good !

Weetos
04-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Nice move ! Congratulations :thumbsup:

I hope we can meet and have a drink when I'll be there

Wish you the best !

akademus
04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Awesome news. Congratulations to both!

PeteS
04-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Welcome to NY buddy! We need more LW guys over here!

Andyjaggy
04-15-2009, 02:34 PM
William is only 34...... for some reason I always think these people are so much older then me. :) I guess 7 years is significant but still.

Kuzey
04-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Man...William is going to be busy, first a toy company and now Splashlight :thumbsup:

Well done and all the best.

Kuzey

Scazzino
04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Congrats William! :thumbsup:

thomascheng
04-15-2009, 03:09 PM
This is great news. I looking forward to your next animation. With this type of resource, its going to be a killer!!!

hrgiger
04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Congrats William. Good luck on your new endeavors.

Sarford
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Congrats William, you'll gonna miss the florida sun

GraphXs
04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Congrats William, thats great news! I wish you all the sucess in the world! Now about those future Core videos....:D

Silkrooster
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Congratulations William, may your new position bring you happiness and prosperity.

Ivan D. Young
04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Congratulations William and Splashlight. It has been my pleasure to work with William for all those years at DAVE and enjoyed the whole time. Looking forward to the Day when we can work together again Will.

The Big Apple has gotten a little bigger this week.:thumbsup:

THREEL
04-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Congratulations William, may your new position bring you happiness and prosperity.

I second that!!! :agree:

DAVE's lose is Splashlight's gain.

sampei
04-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Respect.

safetyman
04-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Congrats William! I hope you are wildly successful in your new position. Does this mean we won't be getting any more tutorial vids?

Lewis
04-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Congratulations to both parties. I'm sure William will now make even more of his great work :).

scratch33
04-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Congrats William, Good luck to you. Have a great succes with Splashlight.

But please, don't forget us...

We stell need your tutorials and so good advice.

:thumbsup:

Bookman
04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Again GL Will!

you will be missed.

:thumbsup:

CGI Addict
04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes indeed! Congratulations to William and Splashlight. Congrats to Joe Z. also on his recent move over to Splashlight.

GregMalick
04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Congratulations!

Please stop by once in a while to say 'Hi'. :hat:

Nangleator
04-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Good luck and thanks for all the great work you've done, William.

Andrewstopheles
04-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Congratulations Splashlight! You just got da man!
William's training has been priceless for me getting to know Lightwave. I hope he is going to stick around in these forums and keep on keeping on with Newtek.... is he still "evangelist" or is that no longer the case?
All the best to you William.

H_Molla
04-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Congratulations Willam....you really deserve it :-)
lets see Light wave rocking there...

erikals
04-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Congrats. http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif
enjoy! http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

TSpyrison
04-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Congrats and best of luck William!

I hope he is going to stick around in these forums and keep on keeping on with Newtek.... is he still "evangelist" or is that no longer the case?

I do hope that he will still be here with us, and an evangelist for Newtek, as he has through the years..

A Mejias
04-16-2009, 10:46 PM
YAY! :thumbsup:

Matt
04-17-2009, 08:42 AM
I would like to wish William the very best in this new venture, he's very talented and a very nice bloke to boot, the effort and support he has given the LightWave community is unsurpassed.

Don't be a stranger though! We will miss you! :)

radams
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Congratulation to William and to you too Joe,

Great move...hope this will be a long creative & profitable arrangement for you both !!!

William, hope to still see you here on the forum from time to time.

Also look forward to seeing each other again. Had a great time at NT's party in 06.

Cheers,

Sekhar
04-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Congrats William, and THANKS A LOT for all you've done for us!

sclptr
04-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Congrats,

New York, New York it’s a wonderful town! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v7QfCxuvLo

The Dommo
04-19-2009, 07:49 PM
ohhh man... how lucky is HE!!

stevmjon
04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
congratulations william

it must be very exciting for you. would like to know how you're going with all this.

steve

digitaldoc
04-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Congrats Will and Splashlight for landing him!:dance:
Best wishes for a great ride in to the future! :thumbsup:
(Don't take any toxic assets.)

WilliamVaughan
05-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Party is this Friday...hope to see you guys there!

Matt
05-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Oh if only I could! :)

I love NYC!

BTW: Will, you need to change your 'Location'! ;)

Weetos
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Party is this Friday...hope to see you guys there!
unfortunately I won't be there until may 16th - aarrrgghh :bangwall: