PDA

View Full Version : Time Changing

Stephen0523
04-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi all. Would someone be able to tell me the best way to animate the attached time temp unit? I want it just to go from 12:30 to 12:31 over just 90 frames.

Thanks

adamredwoods
04-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Few suggestions:
animated image map in the bump texture or color texture
morph maps (if the dots are modeled) and animate using step interpolation

...or even a clip map that stays put, but the numbers move. the numbers are modeled all in the same layer.

Stephen0523
04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi. I am fairly new to LW. Can you clarify?

adamredwoods
04-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Did you model the numbers?

If so, one SIMPLE way would be to model the "zero" and "one" in separate layers (or objects). Import and position them in Layout.

THen, under object properties for each number, click on the RENDER tab-> Object dissolve "E". CLick on that "E" for envelope, which will give you animation control for the object dissolve.

THis is the graph editor, which allows you to add Keys (Press RETURN) on the frame you want. To set the curve so your numbers dont dissolve (unless you want that), change incoming curve type to STEPPED.

Set the value of the keys to 100% and 0% respective to your keys.

Next, set the other object (the "one") the opposite to 0% to 100%.

adamredwoods
04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
THat is one simple way, but for many numbers, I would go the clipmap route:

model your numbers all in one layer.
In layout, create a null, and place it to where the numbers need to be visible.
Select the numbers and create a clipmap based on a stepped, black and white gradient to that reference null. THe trick is to make the gradient large enough to shwo the numbers, but small enough to block out the others.

You can now animate the numbers by moving the position of the numbers, which gives you good control and speed options within the scrub bar.

Stephen0523
04-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes I did create the numbers as objects, so I will give your method a try.

Stephen0523
04-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Clip Master. Would you be able to give me a more detailed set of instruction using the clip map option; IE: screen grabs/point by point steps?

Thanks.

adamredwoods
04-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Here is a quick PDF tutorial:
http://www.box.net/shared/oiu29q19im

The problem to note with this technique is the numbers will not always be dead center when animated, unless you take the time to make them centered.