PDA

View Full Version : 3d model? Were man?

nakrul
04-13-2009, 05:16 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5806337#post5806337

I am just trying to find a site that sells HQ models of motor cycles but some how i see the same **** models from site to site. Were can you get HQ models.

IMI
04-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Turbo Squid would be the first place I'd check if I wanted to buy a good model.
I'm not real sure otherwise, but we have alot of really great modelers here. maybe someone will chime in and offer his services. I'm not one of them, btw. :D
Otherwise, can't you contact artists at Turbo Squid? You also have a CG Society account obviously, maybe find someone whose work you like and see if he'll build you exactly what you want on commission.
That might be a better way to go, really. That way you can tell someone what you want and not settle for something close.

nakrul
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Well,

I am sure someone would charge way more then 129$ for a Yamaha R1 in great detail. I just like getting the best bang for my $. I want a model that I can add detail in not that I am locked into low med quality because of the way it was built. But your right when I want a model that I am going to do hard core work on yeah $800 models are the way to go for sure. I don't know. The model of the R1 looks ok i guess to learn on any ways lol. I just hope that detail can be added at a later time. and not have to pay someone $500+ to model me a really high lv one from scratch.

IMI
04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Just buy it if you like it.
Trust me when I tell you you're in the right place if you have any questions about how to add to it, optimize it, or pretty much anything, later on. :)

Thinking about it, I don't see too many motorcycle models. Loads of cars, far far fewer motorcycles.

lwanmtr
04-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Thats cause then ya gotta make a figure to go on the motorcycle...lol...

But really there are alot of cars because thats what folks want more of..most of the time stuff ends up on the brokered sites like turbo squid from a person's projects.

And you're right Nakrul, you probably would get a good model for less than $250 from contacting a someone to make it custom for you (just a reality)..but then you do have a little more say in how it looks in the end.

nakrul
04-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I bought the model because I got a e-mail from the owner of the site

Hi Bruce,

That model is in quads.

Thank you,
Matt Anderson, President
The3dStudio.com, Inc.
www.The3dStudio.com

and from the post on cg talk. If it is quads i can have detail added if i want.

I will be honest. this is just a learner model. I have 4 files

3ds/lwo/obj/max

I have max 2010 but I have no idea...pause. Just got a e-mail from the owner he says that the .max is Version 6 so any thing higher i can just use the max file.

So is begs the question what is the real difference hmmmm. Well, I guess its time for me to open up the file and see what I ordered?

Ps- I have no idea what are good max forums so I came here because I am a user and because I have 30 day on lightwave/max so i can see which one I like best.

Thanks guys.

IMI
04-13-2009, 09:10 PM
So is begs the question what is the real difference hmmmm. Well, I guess its time for me to open up the file and see what I ordered?

A .max file (*.max) is a max scene file. It contains all the elements of the scene, including the geometry of the model. I think it only makes references to any texture files in a folder though.

A .3ds file is 3d Studio Max's old format. It can be only triangles and is limited to 65,000. It is geometry only, no scene info.

A .lwo file is LightWave's file format. It is only geometry, but also contains all surfacing and UV data. No file size limitations as far as I know, and it generally creates small files.

.obj is the wavefront object format. It's probably the most versatile in many ways. At least ost programs can import it, and some programs can import ONLY obj. It's actually a text file, not binary, and as such can create very large files.

But I don't have time for a 3D object format lecture here. ;)

Ps- I have no idea what are good max forums so I came here because I am a user and because I have 30 day on lightwave/max so i can see which one I like best.

Thanks guys.

There are no good max forums. They're all jerks wherever you go. ;)

Nah, just kidding.
Since you have demos of max and LW, might as well load your model up in both and mess around. There are at least a few very proficient max users here, and of course a boatload of really knowledgable 'wavers, so you might as well just dig in and ask questions as you see fit. :)

BTW, if you're new to 3D, I think you'll find LW a whole lot easier to learn quickly. It's alot more straightforward than max in both modeling and rendering. Well, rendering in max is easy enough, but LW has a more intuitive surface editor, IMO. Modeling in LW is far easier than in max though. Also IMO.... some people might disagree. ;)

Silkrooster
04-15-2009, 12:55 AM
To be honest I think it is a waste of money to pay for a high priced model when you really need to learn one of the modeling programs first. But its your money.

shrox
04-15-2009, 07:45 AM
I can build it.

nakrul
04-19-2009, 09:44 AM
^ its ok. Not looking to spend money right now for this project at this time.

Hey Silkrooster, I got the obj format too so i should be good to go in either app. I have not had alot of time to play with it tho. I have to work 17 hours tomorrow then send my alienware to get repaired AGAIN. I love this so far and I am having fun. Better then balls and boxes and cones.

Let me ask one last question tho.

How do you get your render to look like
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-suzuki-gsxr-1000-2005/304031

or were its just whitest gray color with no textures like this
http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=70879

Were its all white and just the wire frame? It looks kind of cool.

Thanks I am working in max right now if that helps.

JBT27
04-19-2009, 09:50 AM
That look is generally achieved via an ambient occlusion/GI render - you can render with the wires showing, certainly in LW and I guess most others as well - I know nothing of Max, so can't advise on that, sorry.

Or, better still, render the wires separately and then comp them in Photoshop, AE, whatever.

Julian.

IMI
04-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Let me ask one last question tho.

How do you get your render to look like
<snip>

Were its all white and just the wire frame? It looks kind of cool.

Thanks I am working in max right now if that helps.

Well, in Lightwave I think you'd have to check "Render Lines" in the Render Globals panel, but I seem to remember it's not just that - that maybe some other plugin is needed. I can't remember now, but if you're interested you ought to ask in the general support forum here, or maybe the 9.6 forum.

That's just regarding the lines, though. For the GI look, you'd need to have your model sitting on something of course, and give your scene some sort of background color. Light gray or blue-gray look the nicest, IMO. And you'd want your model to have just some constant color on all its surfaces, with no spec or reflection or anything like that.
Then it's just a matter of selecting Global Illumination in the Render Globals panel, set to backdrop only, and turn the scene light off. You can leave the scene light on if you want, but with a medium-to-bright background color, you'd have to turn the light intensity way down or the scene will get blown out because the b/g color is essentially acting as a sky would and is lighting your scene.
And you could enhance it some by using an occlusion node on the surfaces, although it really doesn't need that.

That's for LW, obviously. I have no idea how to do it in max. Well, this is a LightWave forum after all. ;)
I suspect in max though you'd just do about the same - have a background color and GI set to use only backdrop, although it's possible those renders you linked to could be the VRay render plugin for max, since it's very popular and alot of people use it, or they could be Cinema 4D... or maybe even LW. I didn't search to see if he mentioned what he used to render with.

nakrul
04-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for your help/Time

^_^