PDA

View Full Version : old tutorials?

andromeda_girl
04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
the previous lightwave website had a lot of older tutorials, mostly text [not video] format. i am trying to find one of them but it looks like it only has the newer video tutorials now...

anyone know where i can get the 'surface baking the cow' tutorial?

surely this can still be done in LW 9.6 and perhaps it is now even easier to do...

thanks,
Au

IMI
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
No idea, but it would have used the "old" surface baking shader, which is in the surface editor under the Shaders tab, Add Shader dropdown>Surface Baker.
Double click on that and select your UV map. You have to have a UV map on your object, btw, and select your other options, then render away.
The render result will be anything and everything in your surface will be applied to your UV map and the render will be a texture you can apply.

The cool thing about this is you can bake complex procedurals into a texture that's alot quicker to render.
The downside is the surface baker shader is not multi-threaded and will render slower than normal.

LW 9.x now has a better option though, the surface baking camera (In the camera properties panel), which works almost the same, but has more options and is multi-threaded and quicker.

pdp editor
04-13-2009, 03:56 PM
I have a question along the same lines, the new tuts dont work. I have tried at home and now from work. they are all Quicktime movies and I went to apple to see if Newtek was using an update version of quicktime.
here's the link.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials.php

I find this troublesome when there is a post about a problem I'm having and there is a reference is to another post within the forum but it has been removed, ie 404 page not found!

That's maybe what's going on here.

IMI
04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
The QT tutorials use the Sorensen Video 3 codec. I'm using QT 7.6 Pro and they work fine. Any QT version after version 7 should work fine.
You trying to play them in your browser or in the standalone player?

andromeda_girl
04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
hey there imi, thanks for the reply :)

i realize i need a uv on my model but you see, that old tutorial explained how to do that step as well!
i haven't done this in years and cannot remember any of it, starting with preparing the model first :P

as for using the new technique that is also something i haven't got any idea about, because again i need to get that model's uv prepped first as well.
if you do a search for 'bake' in the lw help menu you don't get anywhere with it, so i am not finding any answers so far...
Au

IMI
04-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't remember seeing any surface baking tutorials recently. And UV mapping is a huuuugggggeee subject not easily covered in a quickie.

I'd suggest first finding a decent model with a good UV map and learning the baking part first. That's the easy part, really. if you turn GLSL on in Layout's Display Properties under the GL tab, you can see exactly how your procedural textures are taking shape. Makes it easier, but not unless you have a fairly capable graphics card.
The rest is easy enough, but I don't have the time right now to explain it. There have been numerous surface baking threads here, so you might try searching, or maybe create a new thread with Surface Baker Question in the title to make it stand out.

But otherwise, once you have your model in Layout and your surfaces created, it's just a matter of adding the surface baker shader as I mentioned above and select the relevant UV map. You can also include or exclude scene lighting, if you wish.

I wish I had more time right now, but unfortunately I don't. We'll get you taken care of though, sooner or later. :)

pdp editor
04-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I was trying to play them in my browser.... I will try the player. thank you.

toby
04-13-2009, 07:58 PM
hey there imi, thanks for the reply :)

i realize i need a uv on my model but you see, that old tutorial explained how to do that step as well!
i haven't done this in years and cannot remember any of it, starting with preparing the model first :P

as for using the new technique that is also something i haven't got any idea about, because again i need to get that model's uv prepped first as well.
if you do a search for 'bake' in the lw help menu you don't get anywhere with it, so i am not finding any answers so far...
Au
Make a rough uv map using the Atlas option. This is usually good enough for baking, but not for painting on, or any serious uv map uses.