PDA

View Full Version : My first "Realistic" Human Model

h2oStudios
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
This was my first attempt at modeling a "realistic" human. The head was modeled using a spline patching method described in Lightwave v9 Essentials (I'll never remember how to repeat that one. It saved me on poly count, but getting used to that method would take a LOT of practice.), and the body was modeled using a basic box-modeling technique. I modeled a cloth thingy to cover his manhood; yes I actually modeled his member. I used MakeHuman to render out some orthographic reference images for use as backdrops when modeling the body, it was a huge help. No textures yet, I'm not a big texturing guy; especially UVs and such. C&C welcome.

and a screen capture of some wires-

BlueApple
04-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Nicely done. The underpants are a bit baggy in front, likely because you modeled him nude and then draped the briefs over him.

I think you should take a stab at texturing him, as this is shaping up to be a nice piece.

RonB
04-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Wow, good job! I have been threatening to try a human form myself...but don't have a clue how to go about it. I like that yours is clean and efficient, not a zillion polys. Would like to see it textured and rigged.

Cheers, Ron

sampei
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I also done that chapter on ELV9, I thought it was a good technique for introducing spline modeling. But yeah, really nice flow on that model, would like to see a close up of the head...
oh btw what's MakeHuman ?

virtualcomposer
04-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I admire anyone who can create characters. That is one thing I am not good at all in. Looks great!

h2oStudios
04-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Nicely done. The underpants are a bit baggy in front, likely because you modeled him nude and then draped the briefs over him.

I think you should take a stab at texturing him, as this is shaping up to be a nice piece.

Thanks! Yeah, I did model him nude, and I only modeled the cloth to cover him up so that I wouldn't have to slap a "nudity" warning on this thread. In terms of texturing I'm pretty much a procedural guy, but I've been playing with the Fast Skin node a bit; so I'll see what I can come up with.:D

Wow, good job! I have been threatening to try a human form myself...but don't have a clue how to go about it. I like that yours is clean and efficient, not a zillion polys. Would like to see it textured and rigged.

Cheers, Ron

Thanks man. Try to find yourself a good Head modeling tutorial; once you get that down the body is pretty much intuitive modeling provided you have good references. Rigging is some thing I have experience with but I almost always rig with point weights, and this model is going to be quite a challenge in terms of that (Many, many points, and trying to keep deformations realistic with muscle bulging and such). Unless someone can point me in right direction of a rigging method that doesn't require point weighting but still acheive good result in terms of deformation.

I also done that chapter on ELV9, I thought it was a good technique for introducing spline modeling. But yeah, really nice flow on that model, would like to see a close up of the head...
oh btw what's MakeHuman ?

It was a good technique described but I can't remember for the life of me how to repeat it. I would have to really sit there and model heads with that method for a few weeks.;) MakeHuman (Google it) is a priceless (literally) little program that lets you generate Human models of all kinds. What I did with it is create a model, export it into Layout, and render front, side, back, top, etc... images using the orthograhic camera. Then used those images as backdrops in Modeler for referance when modeling the body(When I first started on the body I was using Da Vinci's drawing. Sorry Da Vinci, MakeHuman proved more useful in this case:D).

I admire anyone who can create characters. That is one thing I am not good at all in. Looks great!

Thank you. Practice is key:thumbsup:. I've been using LW for a little over 6 years, and I completely taught myself (well using tutorials and such). Trust me when I say this, I've come a looooong way since my first characters.

-h2o

sampei
04-14-2009, 02:59 PM
good stuff and thanks for the tips, looking forward to see some skin :D

steamthunk
04-14-2009, 03:35 PM
The pecs look a bit bulgy for someone with an otherwise small build. Otherwise, it's a heck of a lot better than the disasters that were my first human models. I've all but given up for now on getting really accurate deformations out of my rigs so if you succeed please let us know about your approach!

h2oStudios
04-14-2009, 04:12 PM
good stuff and thanks for the tips, looking forward to see some skin :D

Thanks, and you're welcome. Skin, yeah it'll be a learning experience.

The pecs look a bit bulgy for someone with an otherwise small build. Otherwise, it's a heck of a lot better than the disasters that were my first human models. I've all but given up for now on getting really accurate deformations out of my rigs so if you succeed please let us know about your approach!

Yeah, I probably could flatten his chest a bit. I'm flattered, this took me, on and off, about two weeks between other stuff. My first approach at rigging this guy will definitely be point weights8/. It's pretty much my way of getting the exact deformations I want, I'm just dreading the amount of it that's going to be necessary. All of my characters in the past have been "semi-cartoony" to "cartoony" and with a relative low vertice count, so I wouldn't spend more than a working day rigging on them. I guess this thread may have to be moved to the WIP section, as I'll definitely be posting the results of my rigging attempts. -Any suggestions are gladly welcome please.

Cheers!

RebelHill
04-14-2009, 04:34 PM
very nice stuff... this sorta thing is always a challenge... I hate modelling, and suck at it, so extra congrats on account of that.

JMCarrigan
04-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Cheers, Ron

Dude! You look just like Rolling Stone guy. :D

Oh - great job h2oStudios.