PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime in LW 9.6 64bit is a goner???

akademus
04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
What gives? There is no qttools importer in LW 9.6 64bit version while there is one in 32-bit installation?

Am I missing something?

danielkaiser
04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
There is no 64bit version of Quick Time, so a 64bit app can't access it. Blame this on Apple as they don't seem to be very concerned about this, also don't hold your breath for an update, it took them 15 years to get multitasking.

jburford
04-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Oddly, I thought that I had recently seen that there was a 64Bit Version of Quicktime out now. .. .. however, I did find this information. (also as a note, I do have a 32Bit Version of Quicktime installed fine on my XP 64Bit Windows that works fine, just do not remember coming out of LW with it or not. will test later.) but for now....

Re: 64-bit QuickTime for Windows (iTunes as well)?
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 12:35 PM in response to: b noir

I found a simple workaround for both iTunes and Quicktime in windows xp 64 bit. Since the latest version 7.6* the msi files check for system requirements and u can't continue if u are trying to install it on Windows XP 64. However i tried an older version of both iTunes and Quicktime 7.1.1 from http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.htm and worked fine. I did disable the iTunes and Quicktime automatic updates. Although the Quicktime 7.1 and iTunes 7.1 can be installed on windows Xp 64bit they are not 64bit apps. They use windows xp 32bit simulation but they do work fine. Probably in the next releases Apple will fix the requirements check in the msi files to enable the Windows XP 64 bit support.
May the packets be with you ........................

jburford
04-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Ok, just rechecked the 64bit side of things. . . QT does not show up in LW 9.6 as an option even though QT 7.16 pro is installed.

akademus
04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
I was certain I installed Quicktime pro 64-bit recently. Or was it Itunes only?

I had a chat today with one of the coworkers and he said he's unable to use Quicktime in 64 bit Max and XSI.

Guess we are all in the same boat until Apple do something.

Anyhow, what other format would be suitable for nice and realtime scrubbing through timeline in LW?

Thanks for info, guys!

danielkaiser
04-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Just render to a image sequence then import into QT Pro, if you don't have QT Pro and have 32bit Lightwave installed you can always import the sequence as a background image and render out to QT from there.

IMI
04-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey I think it was here somewhere, but I'm not sure.... but I read that the 64 bit QT for Windows is FUBAR and takes you from 32 bit QT to no QT at all, while replacing it with a black bar where the interface should be.

Something like that. I'd look into it more before installing it.

Red_Oddity
04-15-2009, 06:31 AM
No 64-bit QT means no QT in LW, it is that simple.
The same with codecs, codecs need to be compiled for 64-bit in order to show up in a 64-bit program.

I don't understand why people have trouble grasping this concept.

erikals
04-16-2009, 01:56 PM
is there any alternative?
i can't see any codec, only the standard Win ones, which are no good... :\
(no DivX, Xvid... etc)

IMI
04-16-2009, 02:09 PM
What is it you guys are trying to do in LW with Quick Time anyway? Either importing or exporting, wouldn't it be better to work with image sequences than movies?

erikals
04-16-2009, 02:24 PM
nope, not for fast previews.

tweak anim, render frames, compose AE frames, make quicktime.
if not satisfied, do the same thing over again, and over, and over,....

IMI
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
is there any alternative?
i can't see any codec, only the standard Win ones, which are no good... :\
(no DivX, Xvid... etc)

Again, does it matter? Isn't it infinitely better to import and write out image sequences?

Dexter2999
04-16-2009, 02:31 PM
SpeedEdit and RTV files?

IMI
04-16-2009, 02:37 PM
SpeedEdit and RTV files?

No idea. I've never even seen SpeedEdit, let alone used it.
I see what erikals is saying though, but I've never had a reason to have to deal with that. Was just curious. :)

Dexter2999
04-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I can't say I recommend SpeedEdit. It does kick major butt when looking at your rendered sequences. There is no importing. You just point the software at your sequence and it goes.

If you were looking to drop $400 and you are primarily a 3D artist there are other things I would buy first.

If you can get your hands on a demo (the guy I bought from online had a 30 return policy) give it a go.

danielkaiser
04-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I can't say I recommend SpeedEdit. It does kick major butt when looking at your rendered sequences. There is no importing. You just point the software at your sequence and it goes.

If you were looking to drop $400 and you are primarily a 3D artist there are other things I would buy first.

If you can get your hands on a demo (the guy I bought from online had a 30 return policy) give it a go.

QT Pro is $30.00

Red_Oddity
04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Just use Lagarith, lossless codec that supports RGB, RGBA, YUY2 and YV12.
Free, fast, easy to use, 32 and 64 bit and not bound by macro block sizes and wraps in an Avi container, what more do you need.

I can highly recommend it, we've been using this for quite some time now : http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html