PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Lightwave Core

ryanzec
04-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Lightwave Core looks interesting and I am currently looking for an all in one 3d application with a primary purpose of creating game content. I have a few questions about Core that I hope can be answered (and I know some thing might not be able to be answer because newtek has not released the information yet).

1. When does the Hardcore Membership begin? I know it state that is begin when you get your first build but is that the first official build (targetted for 4t quarter) or when you get you first beta build?

2. What functionality is currently not in the beta Core release? Somewhere I heard that all you could do in the current beta is just model, no texturing, no animation, etc..., is this true?

SplineGod
04-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Functionality for Q1 is aimed primarily at modeling tools. I dont think Core will be all that useful for what you need.
Personally for an all in one app for creating game content Id go with blender since it has a build in game engine etc.You can still model and animate in LW and export to blender.

ryanzec
04-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Well as far as a game engine goes, we are using Unity which only requires me to be able to export to .FBX, hopefully the Core with have a good FBX exporter.

How good is the animation system in Lightwave? Does is compare to tools like Animation Master or Project Messiah?

OnlineRender
04-13-2009, 12:03 PM
hmmm ive been reading alot atm and to be honest and not wanting to discourage Core to anyone , but i think for game animation blender is a great suggestion but also max is great for game animation ,for riggin motion builder "Rockstar use that "i think alot of companies are using Tomcat aswell , i know for sure BlackRock Studios are . "Disney"

anybody heard of IRREDIT ?? been messsing about with it . also getting into tourque more now aswell .

SplineGod
04-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I animate in LW all the time. Mainly I use a part of LW called IKBoost. If youre using to AM its similar in many ways and more powerful in other ways. When using IKB to animate, exporting the animation via FBX is a piece of cake because you dont have to bake IK based animation to bones. You also have dynamics and softbodies that can be applied to bones directly. The animation management tools in IKB are awesome. Core will probabably have FBX export but who knows when. CA seems to be last on the list of things to implement.

TimothyB
04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Even members still don't know a whole lot. So if your main goal is gaming, it's a little too early to tell.

1: It's when the first build is given out that the membership begins. And technically, Newtek's site says nothing about it being a beta, just first build (at least last time I looked). It's hard to say anything, but for various reasons, the membership still hasn't begun just yet. 4QT is when they plan to have 1.0 shipping version. If that 1.0 is delayed, and your membership expires before it's released, you are still guaranteed that version.

2: Like many have said, the first build focuses on Modeling.

OnlineRender
04-13-2009, 12:18 PM
in reflection spinegod is amazing at riggin and animating ,search for his tuts will give you a better understanding , give it time for q4 to come it , by then they should have ironed out most bugs and wrinkles from the software , you can download a trail version of V9.6 "excellent " on the newtek website but you probably already know this .
its a tricky choice , just depends on what you feel at home with .

SplineGod
04-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Id say Blender if for no other reason that its free. Its also quite powerful.

RollerJesus
04-13-2009, 12:38 PM
If Unity is your engine, you should probably consider Blender as previously recommended but check out this page for different work flow options for Unity.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/HOWTO-importObject.html

OnlineRender
04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
That's the great thing about blender "import ' export " ,"export , import" , accepts just about any format , and if not ,there will be someone writting a plugin .
still cant get blender fluids to import correctly with LW , followed tuts and pluggins galore,ive cached, exported ,everything blablah and still either crashes or dosen't compile correct .
but i reckon when Core becomes main stream , its open ability will be good and modelling will be sweet ,hope they make zbr files direct import that would nice "hmm pluggin search "

peace GL

gjjackson
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Even members still don't know a whole lot. So if your main goal is gaming, it's a little too early to tell.

1: It's when the first build is given out that the membership begins. And technically, Newtek's site says nothing about it being a beta,

It is when the first beta is released that membership starts.

ryanzec
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
It is when the first beta is released that membership starts.

Well that right there is a complete turn off for me, this is the first time I have ever heard of a company selling a beta version for their software (even tho I am sure it has been done before). What if they final version is not release one year after I buy into the Hardcore thing, you mean I would not even get a final release of the software if Newtek falls behind in its Q4 target release?

Dexter2999
04-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Well that right there is a complete turn off for me, this is the first time I have ever heard of a company selling a beta version for their software (even tho I am sure it has been done before). What if they final version is not release one year after I buy into the Hardcore thing, you mean I would not even get a final release of the software if Newtek falls behind in its Q4 target release?

You will get the final release even if it is after Q4.

*Pete*
04-14-2009, 03:01 PM
no...you will get the final release regardless.

theres many ways to see the hardcore membership.

one way is that you pay for beta testing and get rewarded with a full final version.
other way is that you prepurchase CORE (300 dollar discount) and get access to beta builds untill you get the final.

neither of those ways are wrong, both are true...but it all depends on how you look at it.
for me its the latter..more or less, i have a deeper agenda than that but i still see myself as a person who prepurchased CORE and have access to beta versions while i wait.

ryanzec
04-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Well that is at least better to hear. I guess since one of the big features I am looking for (and the reason I am not going to buy Modo), which is character animation, is not going to be in Lightwave Core for a a while, I will just waiting. Hopefully Blender 2.50 comes out before then and I can play around with that for a while (and who knows, maybe I won't need lightwave if i can get my head round the blender UI).

achrystie
04-15-2009, 09:36 AM
I use Unity with Blender. The import is "near native".
I think the Unity Blender importer uses the FBX pipeline in Blender, but it feels like native import as it references back to the original blender file.
So for instance, you can load in a Blender asset, and if you want to make changes to it, it will automatically open the file in Blender and the changes will update in Unity. It seems to work for geometry, textures, bones, and animation, right out of the box, no problems for me so far.
This is with the latest Blender 2.48 version.