PDA

View Full Version : Most hassle-free video format

howardt
04-13-2009, 05:16 AM
What is the most hassle-free (for viewers) video format/codec?

If I want to share a video with a limited number of people by giving it to them on a memory stick, what format is most likely to be playable on their machine without them having to install anything they don't probably already have installed?

avi or mov container?
which video codec(s)?
which audio codec(s)?

Or is this an impossible task? Is it easier if one assumes a reasonably current Windows machine on the other end?

Or is the best answer these days to upload to YouTube or VFXCast (and what are the advantages/disadvantages of those two; or is there an even better choice?).

AbnRanger
04-13-2009, 06:08 AM
What is the most hassle-free (for viewers) video format/codec?

If I want to share a video with a limited number of people by giving it to them on a memory stick, what format is most likely to be playable on their machine without them having to install anything they don't probably already have installed?

avi or mov container?
which video codec(s)?
which audio codec(s)?

Or is this an impossible task? Is it easier if one assumes a reasonably current Windows machine on the other end?

Or is the best answer these days to upload to YouTube or VFXCast (and what are the advantages/disadvantages of those two; or is there an even better choice?).transporting by stick or disc...mov (dv or animation compr). Transporting over web...flash, hands down.

Jockomo
04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
.wmv files are native to the windows OS
and .mov files are native to the mac OS.

The most likely format to play on windows machines will be wmv since the player is installed with windows.

An alternative to youtube is Vimeo

adamredwoods
04-13-2009, 10:52 AM
If it's for a demo reel to show people, I would recommend .mov with Quicktime Sorenson Spark or H264.

Reason: WMV doesn't always have the right codecs installed, but Quicktime has the most common built in.

oobievision
04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
hmm well depends what ur using it for, personally if I want it to have an alpha channel I use .mov as avi you cant add alpha. though most the time I render in AVI format cause most of my customers aprefer it that way and can be played on windows and mac. and all nonlienear editors can read it as well as most video sites like youtube can convert AVI with out a problem.

adamredwoods
04-13-2009, 12:31 PM
though most the time I render in AVI format cause most of my customers aprefer it that way and can be played on windows and mac.

But AVI hides the codec. I've had (very few) people give me their demo reels with an unknown codec in AVI. I don't bother with unknown codecs.

But for client, vendor relations, any format can work, just needs to be agreed upon.

cresshead
04-13-2009, 01:03 PM
i'd also add in don't make it some weird aspect ratio or frame rate either..
4:3 or 16:9
12,15,24, 25 or 30fps
as for which codecs for audio and vid...look at what the film trailers use as well as people making podcasts that way you'll be in the same ballpark as your 'general internet user'

same goes for pixel size...take a look at film trailers and podcasts

Titus
04-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Mpg is the most transparent codec.

IMI
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Or is the best answer these days to upload to YouTube or VFXCast (and what are the advantages/disadvantages of those two; or is there an even better choice?).

You already got the best answers for what format, so I'll just say that if you're physically close enough to give these people a USB stick of your work, forget about uploading. You Tube and VFX cast both are great resources, but they can both cause a good video to look bad, depending on its compression and size, after it's converted.

Personally I'd use Quick Time and H264.

howardt
04-14-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Sarford
04-14-2009, 03:58 PM
you could also take a look at Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:demo%20reel) for uploading video's. It will let you load and play HD formats, and the quality is actualy pretty good.