PDA

View Full Version : Oxymorons on Cable TV.

meshpig
04-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Who isn't sick of the pounding you get on cable without the slightest regard for the show you're actually watching... bang, suddenly spliced into another then a series of sequences from shows you really don't want to watch? Grrr and you pay for this crap!

I heard the penultimate today though, some not funny comedy thing was pumped/described as being "deeply superficial".

- That gave me cause to reach for some old books; namely Marshall McLuhan and to his statement ; "the medium is the message".

I know I shouldn't be surprised.

m:)

sammael
04-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Dont know, dont have cable or watch much TV at all. You can pick up a lot of the stuff worth watching at JB for as little as $15 for an entire season :) no adds no in your face self promotional crap.

aaronv2
04-13-2009, 03:07 AM
television will soon be a novelty like radio has become. with users being able to have cinema quality movies in their own home and the advent of storable media to be able to buy entire box sets of your favorite tv shows not to mention using P2P tv to stream sports live instead of watching delayed telecasts.

Who needs cable tv? or tv at all?

these days with the freedom to view what we want when we want without advertising interruption i think advertisers will need to rethink their strategies to target new generations.

meshpig
04-13-2009, 04:29 AM
... these days with the freedom to view what we want when we want without advertising interruption i think advertisers will need to rethink their strategies to target new generations.

I like the idea that "these days" we're free to view what we want, when we want because that's how cable was sold in the early days.

m

Philbert
04-13-2009, 05:52 AM
You may like this article I just read:

http://tech.msn.com/products/articlecnet.aspx?cp-documentid=18526937

mattclary
04-13-2009, 06:33 AM
I hate all the pop-up ads! They are getting so freaking huge that they make it hard to see the show you are watching!

Wish I could get a pop-up blocker for my TV set.

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 06:36 AM
television will soon be a novelty like radio has become. with users being able to have cinema quality movies in their own home and the advent of storable media to be able to buy entire box sets of your favorite tv shows not to mention using P2P tv to stream sports live instead of watching delayed telecasts.

Who needs cable tv? or tv at all?

these days with the freedom to view what we want when we want without advertising interruption i think advertisers will need to rethink their strategies to target new generations.

Theres a difference between of hunting to see what you want on the internets, and watching whatever there is on TV ready made for you.

If your going hunting, youd need to know what your looking for, while the later you just switch the TV on and look for whatever others have planned to show you on a given time. Its more passive, resting and more broad, while the other is more active and more selective.

Most of the time I prefer to go like 'Lets see whats on TV' rather than 'Lets find this specific thing and watch it afterwards'

Nangleator
04-13-2009, 06:40 AM
The day will come soon when ads (with sound) will run constantly through the programming, in a split screen manner. The only way to see your shows will be to buy them. Of course, then the ads will start encroaching on the stuff you buy, too.

meshpig
04-13-2009, 06:48 AM
Philbert

Yeah, I do but the thing is with TV and broadcasting in general as an institution is it's not ultimately about choice.

I'm just picking on the fabulous linguistics of advertising like I just heard;" you're invited to save throughout the store".

Or, you get $330 worth of value for 3 easy payments of $110 if you pay now.

Anything goes...

meshpig
04-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Theres a difference between of hunting to see what you want on the internets, and watching whatever there is on TV ready made for you.

Yes, it's the box you voluntarily buy and situate in your home, that great ball and chain which ought to be a provider of decent information.

Sorry DiedonD, don't have a go at me for jumping the gun!!

Cheers

Mike_RB
04-13-2009, 07:03 AM
I make good use of my PVR, just flag shows or movies to watch. And mostly that's just 'Lost'.

Philbert
04-13-2009, 07:37 AM
I make good use of my PVR, just flag shows or movies to watch. And mostly that's just 'Lost'.

I do this very much, In fact last year Monday's were the BIG TV night for me, there was so much on that the DVR couldn't handle it all. I watched Big Bang and How I Met Your Mother live, then Heroes live, then Sarah Conner from my DVR recording, then the DVR couldn't handle recording Chuck as well as the others so I would watch it on Hulu later that night when it was added. Thankfully the shows are a little more spread out now though some shows I still watch on Hulu like Kings and Legend of The Seeker.

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Yes, it's the box you voluntarily buy and situate in your home, that great ball and chain which ought to be a provider of decent information.

Sorry DiedonD, don't have a go at me for jumping the gun!!

Cheers

Nah, I wont go at you for that whatever it was that you said :D

If you jump the gun at me though, Ill just jump it to the next guy, and perhaps well play with guns just like with a ball, on a beach ball style :cool:

Ill make sure that its not loaded and that its secure dont worry ;)

Fatch!

OnlineRender
04-13-2009, 08:05 AM
www.tvrage.com - www.ninjavideo.com - streams of tv and films
www.myp2p.eu live soccer and other sporting events !

now you can choose what you want :)

Philbert
04-13-2009, 08:17 AM
If you jump the gun at me though, Ill just jump it to the next guy, and perhaps well play with guns just like with a ball, on a beach ball style :cool:

Ill make sure that its not loaded and that its secure dont worry ;)

To clarify, just in case... "Jumping the gun": To start a race like swimming or running before the starters pistol is fired. Or less literally, to act without stopping to think clearly first.

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 08:26 AM
To clarify, just in case... "Jumping the gun": To start a race like swimming or running before the starters pistol is fired. Or less literally, to act without stopping to think clearly first.

Thanks Philbert!

So Meshpig! You think you can win this race! Nah not a chance at all!

But... What are we racing about before the pistol shoots?!

Who gets to watch more TV?!

:D

Just kidding.

Man. Slangs! If all countries were to use their own to the fullest extent, without any explanation following them, then wed have yet alot more to learn!

Since were there. Here they call acting without thinking a 'headless chicken'

If one acts all around without stopping to think about it, then the one is acting like a chicken that doesnt have a head. Analogous to the irregular, energetic, uncoordinated acts of a chicken, after her head is cut with say an axe, and has sliptaway and jumps all around, before beeing recaptured and prepered for a meal.

Philbert
04-13-2009, 09:12 AM
In the States we also have a similar expression, saying someone is "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" meaning they're acting crazy.

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 09:34 AM
In the States we also have a similar expression, saying someone is "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" meaning they're acting crazy.

Isnt that too long though? If someone is acting like crazy, and say it was an alarming issue, like a drunk breaking things up near you, wouldnt that be a way too long sentence to finish of just to give a meaning?

Here theyd say appropriately 'Dont jump like a headless chicken!'

Meaning, 'Dont jump to actions without using your head first'

OnlineRender
04-13-2009, 09:35 AM

amazing ! i do it with Sky plus granted i dont watch much TV .

take into consideration , that everything will be intergrated soon , i used to work for a company that made cases for TV's "most boring job i have ever had ,cutting spare plastic and glueing crap to the sides anyways !". when i was about 18 now 25 , the plastic had a hole in the case " i always wondered what it was for " nearly 9 years later i seen the tv with the web camera built in ready to go into the shelves .

so technology getting held back at least 10 years or more , more finacial gain than anything ,anyway my point is

All you have will be a touch screen tv , with internet ,movies , picture and any format of media , instead of sitting infront of your tv it will be click ,click pick . channels will be replaced by web servers , infact this is now becomming more common in the industry .

For example Bill Gates house has no wallpaper in certain rooms , when his kids or whomever the walls will change to suite there needs , ie kids wallpaper .... so cool .

Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true.

What else is there to say ?

Philbert
04-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Isnt that too long though? If someone is acting like crazy, and say it was an alarming issue, like a drunk breaking things up near you, wouldnt that be a way too long sentence to finish of just to give a meaning?

Here theyd say appropriately 'Dont jump like a headless chicken!'

Meaning, 'Dont jump to actions without using your head first'

I don't think it's something you would say too someone, more like about someone. Like "You should've seen him, he was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off!"

BTW speaking of cable TV Check this out (if you get YouTube, sorry if you don't)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjF4tK7P840

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't think it's something you would say too someone, more like about someone. Like "You should've seen him, he was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off!"

BTW speaking of cable TV Check this out (if you get YouTube, sorry if you don't)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjF4tK7P840

Well I know people have difficulties watching certain US sites, and BBC! But I doubt anyone would have it difficult to watch youtube!

In anyway. I have Discovery and somtimes show Mythbusters and Brainiacs too!

Awsome stuff they do both :thumbsup:

Science for fun :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ki5Q-9pd8

Philbert
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Actually yes it seems people in Russia have trouble with YouTube maybe some other countries too. I posted some 3D Coat tutorial type videos on YouTube and many of the users complained that they couldn't view it, asking if I could put it on Veoh or something similar.

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Actually yes it seems people in Russia have trouble with YouTube maybe some other countries too. I posted some 3D Coat tutorial type videos on YouTube and many of the users complained that they couldn't view it, asking if I could put it on Veoh or something similar.

What Youtube!? Noway! Thought that was among them true strong worldwide sites!