PDA

View Full Version : Red Dwarf New Eps on YT .

OnlineRender
04-12-2009, 10:28 AM
heres the link for the first two episodes in the new series .

Back to earth , the third part is cont on Dave Channel .

First thoughts , theve removed the laughter track from audio , 2nd shot in a live documentry style , kinda funny but not as good .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MFZmJkghE EPS 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpESwKGPUhU EPS 2

peace

OR

Mr Big
04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the links.

aidenvfx
04-13-2009, 12:14 AM
An interesting part of how the VFX were done

http://fxphd.com/

OnlineRender
04-13-2009, 04:00 AM
ye i seen the making of it after the 3rd Esp " may i say the third saved the RD fan base " the first 2 where hmmm shall i say different " .

The VFX and CGI was pretty good at times , although the chromkey was a little hazzy in some parts , and the final shot "spoiler" were the ran threw suger glass windows " granted every time they set the scene up it cracked " was cut akwardly and looked rushed .

overall a good return and brave format including script , plus its wide open for the 10th series .

peace OR

OnlineRender
04-13-2009, 04:24 AM
here the link for the 3rd and final eps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNRDwn_KrbA

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 07:05 AM
here the link for the 3rd and final eps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNRDwn_KrbA

Well looks like an easy going, fun serie. Bunch a characters trying to survive. Good idea. Cause if we want them to survive they just might for real!

Brings in the metaphysics and realism link through us!

Now that it got my attention, where is the third part of series 3!?!

WCameron
04-13-2009, 10:38 AM
It was ok. Not as funny as I'd have hoped, but good enough.
I do hope they make more.

- Will.

cresshead
04-13-2009, 11:05 AM
wasn't brilliant...but wasn't awful either

OnlineRender
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
thats what most people are saying , nothing !
which in my opp is a bad thing , you could tell that the cast and crew had been apart there was no bond or on screen relationship between the characters that was potrayed in the earlier series , hmmm to be honest it was gash .

EmperorPete
04-13-2009, 12:09 PM
It really was, wasn't it. Pretty much totally unfunny. Such a shame. :(

toby
04-14-2009, 03:38 AM
I have season 3&4 on dvd, one of the best comedies ever, great writing and characters.

Gives me a double-polaroid it does.

RebelHill
04-14-2009, 05:08 AM
that wasnt red dwarf..

it was the remains exhumed and put on show. I agree with pete, such a shame.

toby
04-14-2009, 05:19 AM
Guess I'm the odd man out, I thought it was hysterical, at least after they returned to earth and the blade runner gags started. Can't believe I've never seen any blade runner spoof before. 'Carbug' was hilarious too :D Script was classic Dwarf. Better than series 7 I thought, few laughs there.

Thanks for the notice OnlineRender, not much news about it here

OnlineRender
04-14-2009, 05:41 AM
people just have different tastes , i was a hardcore smeg head for years ,i remember buying a Rd t-shirt from "what every woman wants " dont ask why i was in there i was about 6 at the time , i dont think the shop brands even around anymore , my point in case .

i applaud them for taken away the laughter track , that was a brave idea , but i could see there reasons behind it "people dont need to be told when to laugh " .
but for a return i wasnt impressed , series 7 or 8 cant remember .

The introduction of small starbug into life size RD caused my nano's was so funny when the went threw the tunnel and got stuck up the rat ***** , i never laughed so hard in my life .

I just felt kinda cheated by the new spin off version , good script bad exucation .

just my opp .

pumeco
04-14-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm really pleased we got another series. I looked forward to it for ages, although at first roumour was that it would be released as a film.

I didn't like it at first because the 'laughter' track wasn't present, I thought it somehow took something away from the enjoyment. After watching it though, that effect seemed to lessen and I still enjoyed it.

I reckon there will be another series; they kept making references to 'chanski getting sucked out of an air-lock. Unless I'm slipping I've never seen an episode where that happened. That'll probably happen in the future in a new series, and even then, it's anyones guess how many series they could shove in there until they decide to make that one!

Later, Smeg Heads :thumbsup:

Qexit
04-14-2009, 07:37 AM
I didn't like it at first because the 'laughter' track wasn't present, A word for the wise. There never was a laughter track for them to remove on Red Dwarf. The episodes were recorded with a live studio audience at the BBC Manchester studios. The only exceptions being the location filed scenes but these were played to the live audience at the appropriate point(s) to get their immediate reaction and record it. They never just dubbed on a 'laugh track' as happened with the likes of M.A.S.H. I was part of the audience for the episode 'Backwards' and one other the title of which I cannot remember. Very entertaining it was too, Craig Charles and Chris Barrie did the audience warm ups :) The former was frankly pretty poor but fortunately Chris Barrie was hysterical :D With the new series/episodes, it was almost entirely filmed on location so it would have been impossible/impractical to get a live studio audience reaction...it would have been expensive too and they had a really low budget. I'm pleased they didn't just elect to have a dubbed on laughter track. Having said that, it could have done with something to make me at least chuckle. I think the biggest handicap was it's transfer to commercial TV. So each episode was only about 20 minutes or less due to the need for commercial breaks where the original BBC series had 25-27 minutes of actual programme time. The storyline for these three episodes clearly had to be stretched to fit into three episodes/60 minutes. I think a single 45 minute (1 hour on commercial TV) episode would have worked much better.

Interesting the way they got over a whole lot of changes from the last series transmitted by the BBC, i.e. the series mentioned in the new episodes was series 10 though the last one transmitted was series 8.

If they got enough viewers, then they might possibly make a proper new series. However, unless they get back both the original writers I'd really rather they didn't. Not impressed overall :beta:

OnlineRender
04-14-2009, 07:50 AM
i dont think the original writters will ever write together again , i think they departed on akward terms , who really knows , i think they attepted to capture a new target audience ,and failed , hence the return to corie st, but it just didnt sit with me , they had a great idea and could have ran with in several directions , but they messed it up , with sereal acting and did anybody notice the cat " it just wasnt the cat " .

IM GOING EAT YOU LITTLE FISHY !

ps did you see they locked the starbug "smartcar " keys inside the car first day of shooting , they had to smash the window to get in LOL

i think if you watched it threw 90s you would have high demands ,it was cutting edge and the comical timming was brilliant , i just think they failed to capture that magic .

pumeco
04-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Nah, when I said 'laughter track' I didn't mean canned laughter on a seperate track, I meant genuine laughter. It's possible if they'd have done what they do with those 'Last of the Summer Wine' episodes. I saw a making of program once, and what they do is shoot on location, then, I believe they invite an NDA audience of hardcore fans into a private cinema and record the laughter of the audience.

The laughter is recorded onto a track and gets added to the program before release. It's a good idea because no matter what the original shoot entails, the finished product still has 'genuine' laughter at the end of it all.

But yeah, series 8 being the last we saw before the new one, I reckon we're in for a series 9 to complete it. Anyway, not as good as the older episodes, but I still liked them.

BTW, did anyone notice they were using SketchUp to design the sets? :D

OnlineRender
04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
im pretty sure i could create they effects using LW and Adobe After Effects . hmm away to make RD fan film:)

toby
04-14-2009, 03:10 PM
That's cool that they used genuine laughter, but for really good comedy it's not necessary. You may have to get used to it, but notice that comedy movies have none. Lack of laughter in the 1st episode here was just because there wasn't anything funny. Cat was not on his game, some of that may be because of his dialogue, pretty weak.

lwanmtr
04-15-2009, 05:32 AM
The cast may have been a little stiff after so long apart, but then look at any time a cast brought back together, such as Star Trek...first movie kinda sucked, but Wrath of Khan was great...

Hopefully they can recapture what made Red Dwarf a cool and funny series.

cresshead
04-15-2009, 05:43 AM
seems the viewing figure were very good...largest for the channel ever over 2 million on the night in u.k. dave channel..more than bbc2 and channel 4 on that night

i watched on youtube btw!

Qexit
04-15-2009, 05:56 AM
I wonder what the viewing figures were like by Sunday night when the third episode went out ? I've still only seen half of it, even though it has already been repeated several times on Dave.

Kuzey
04-15-2009, 06:08 AM
I haven't seen part 3 yet, but I laughed out loud when Lister's face was dragged across the monitor during the fight with the squid. And I loved the csi send up of reading the front of the business card...classic stuff.

:D

Kuzey