PDA

View Full Version : Drinkable yoghurt

tickle
08-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm currently learning LW and have finnished a "simmulated"
com-spot for a Swedish product that is drinkable yoghurt.

The file is about 6 megs.

I hope you will use any available bandwidth and give me some comments.

Here's the link
Yalla movie (http://w1.133.comhem.se/~u13304909/yalla.mov)

If the link above is not working just copy the following into your browser
http://w1.133.comhem.se/~u13304909/yalla.mov

\See Ya!

phrick
08-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Kind of cool...

I like the animation but I would however slightly change the environment & lighting setup, and definately add motion blur.

If this is meant to be a "simulated" national TV spot (?), I suggest you also 'up' the resolution on the "Arla" logo on the back of the bottle.

Keep up the good work!

tickle
08-19-2003, 04:35 AM
Yeah, I guess the sky and ground plane could be adjusted a bit.

However I do like how the movement path of the bottle sways in and out of the keylightted spotlight region. I think it adds some life into the movement. I use a standard Key-Fill-Back setup for the bottle.

I'm greathful for all your comments. It's great quality level feedback since I myself classified it as finnished work.

Thanks!

julos
08-20-2003, 12:16 AM
Hej, i drank this yoghurt when i was in Sweden this summer ! :)
I like the animation a lot, it's pro and i guess it would work even more with sounds/music.
It's true the environment/lighting misses something, more contrast maybe.

phrick
08-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Hey Julos, that's cool! I hope you enjoyed the vacation!

Well, back to the topic...

I took the liberty of modifying a frame from your animation just to clarify what I meant in my earlier post. (I hope you don't mind)

I did the manipulations quite fast in Photoshop, so I don't know if this is practically possible in Lw. Bare in mind that these tips are based on my own personal preferences. You may not like any of them since we all know that the taste is like the butt, split. (Hmmm, that sounds a lot better in Swedish! :))

Soften the background (you could for example use a background gradient - Effects->Backdrop->Add Environment->Textured Environment. Layer type: Gradient, Input parameter: Pitch)

Try to position the horizon a bit below (or above) the vertical center of the screen (just a thing that often makes the image a bit more subconsciously interesting to look at)

This whole background softening thingy is to put more "weight" and focus on the bottle. I think the background is too contrasty as it is now (sorry Julos :p).

For the ground plane you could use a polygon where the surface fades to transparent based on a distance to camera gradient. (To blend it smoothly with the background.)

Add a light from behind (to emphasize the contour of the bottle).

Add another fill light from the right. Low intensity! Don't be afraid to turn off the light's specularity.

In the example image I also added a tiny blueish glow on the right edge of the bottle. I think this could be achieved by using a lens flare (or two, or three, or.. Well, you get the point). Experiment with flare strength and flare dissolve (animate these properties to get a slick glistening look).

For the shadows then... I think you could achieve a kind of "soft radiosity shading" look without even using raytraced shadows (or radiosity). Let's give it a go...

Turn off "cast shadows" for the bottle object. Add a null object and parent it to the bottle. Place the null object at the base of the bottle (move it down on the y-axis until it reaches the ground).

Open the surface editor and select the ground surface. Click on the 'T' button next to diffuse.

Change the layer type to "gradient" and the input parameter to "distance to object". Change blending mode to "multiply" and in the 'object' dropdown select the null. Change the 'value' parameter to 0%. Add a key to the gradient by clicking anywhere on it. Set the new key's alpha to 0%.

(The procedure above will hopefully make a round dark gradient around the null/bottle on the ground surface.)

Experiment with the gradient by adding more keys and changing alpha values and all that jazz. If I'm not mistaken the "distance to object" gradients are one of the few things that actually work in VIPER. (Turn on VIPER, do a test render, play with the gradients).

There are also a lot of other cool stuff you could do, but I'm waaay to lazy to bring 'em up now.

But again, these are all just suggestions. You're probably already satisfied with your animation (it's already cool! I just happened to have a couple of spare minutes :)).

julos
08-20-2003, 10:24 PM
your idea works well phrick, and it has the colors of the swedish flag too :D

tickle
08-21-2003, 05:05 AM
Wow!

Gee, thanks for your spare minutes Phrick!

This give me and fellow forum readers an idea of quality enhancements. With a few extra hours of attention to the environment you can lift the work a number of pin holes on the quality scale.

Thanks for all the comments and for me, back into the working chair ;).