PDA

View Full Version : Booleans and UV's

Costanel
04-11-2009, 02:36 AM
Hey there,

I've been trying to model lowres houses for quite some time now, but I keep encountering an annoying problem.

Whenever I model a simple low poly house and want to increase the details(like windows, doors, etc.) the UV map goes haywire.
Everytime I want to add detail, the complete UV map need to be redone.
This is the case with as well LWCAD as the standard Booleans.

Is there a way to fix this or workaround?
Constantly editing/remaking the UV gets quite annoying.

See attached screens of the problem with LWCAD

Thanks in advance

steamthunk
04-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't think there's any way around this. You really want to finish your modeling before going to textures - especially UVs. Since UVs map to vertices and you're changing the vertices it's asking for all kinds of grief. If you're doing a low poly house model though why model in the windows and doors at all?

Snosrap
04-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah UV maps --last step.

Costanel
04-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Too bad, would have made my life a lot easier...
Is this general for UV's, or is this just how LW handles it?

Modelling simple windows(insets) makes low-poly model look a lot less flat. But I think I'll model from the backdrop from now, and afterwards place the texture.

meshpig
04-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Too bad, would have made my life a lot easier...
Is this general for UV's, or is this just how LW handles it?

Modelling simple windows(insets) makes low-poly model look a lot less flat. But I think I'll model from the backdrop from now, and afterwards place the texture.

General. Try using "make UV's", as in unweld and add the new geometry to the existing map.

m

MSherak
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
When you want to boolean a UV'ed model just unweld it, boolean or cut as needed and then weld back together.. This keeps the point to uvpoint correct to the model.. Kinda silly but it works..

Costanel
04-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Ah, it looks like cutting and pasting didn't fix it, but completely unwelding did for LW Booleans. Thanks.

LWCAD 3.0 still doesn't does, quite a shame because this is a much easier way of booleans.
Ah, well, hopefully this will be fixed in a future version.