PDA

View Full Version : new LW user on Intel 10.5.6, what works what doesn't?

3dWannabe
04-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi - I've been reading the two recent LW books, "Essential LW V9", "Inside Lightwave v9" (are there any I'm missing?) and viewing the video tutorials.

I'm now ready to actually use LW.

I'm running a Mac Pro Quad with 16GB, HD 3870.

What kind of trouble am I going to run into as far as things not working - or important plug-ins not being available for the Intel OSX 10.5.6? Is it a viable platform at the current moment?

I've also got a two thread license for RealFlow v4, if anyone has any gems of wisdom on issues I'll encounter interfacing that with LW. I've gleaned a lot of posts off of several forums.

Would be great if NewTek had a sticky "what works, what doesn't" thread for Mac LW.

Also, should I be worrying about 'Core' - or just wait until the dust settles (hopefully after the true 64 bit Snow Leopard arrives).

4dartist
04-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about Core, it won't replace your existing LW for a long time. I think soon it may complement or possibly be used instead of modeler, but I wouldn't worry about it.

I do a TON of particles, hypervoxels, basic rigging, animation, modeling. Most everything is working in the 9.6 build for Univeral Binary on Intel Mac Pro. We have 4 8core mac pros, and only a few minor problems.

Like if you 'replace object' it acts as if control is held down so you have to tab control once to fix it.

There are some other minor things I have found, but for the life of me I can't think of them. I'll post them if I remember. But I don't know any real show stoppers. I DO recommend renaming hub to 'hubyousucksobad' that way it won't start. Atleast for the mac.

I can't speak for all aspects of LW, like fir. Never used it.

Generally I think you'll be happy.

3dWannabe
04-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Benjamin - thanks for the detailed post!

I thought the hub was needed for Modeler and Layout to communicate?

4dartist
04-10-2009, 12:27 PM
You are completely right. The hub allows you to quickly go from layout to modeler (to make a change) and then back to layout and see the model update. When it works, it's awesome, I love it.

So I guess when you ask is something broken, yes the hub. IMO.

The problem is.. (for the mac anyways) the hub causes a LOT of problems. For example, layout will crash about 10x as often. Usually when deleting objects or changing parents or something hierarchy related. There is just a certain unstability when using the hub that I don't want and that's why I recommend to not use it. To be honest though, the last time I used the hub and HAD to turn it off to get work done was 9.5, so the latest update may have helped some, others may know more.

There is a workflow change that happens when you turn off the hub. You need to make hotkeys for 'replace object' 'replace object layer'in layout. So anytime you want to update a model you changed you need to replace it. Yes it gets annoying. But in the end things go much smoother.

I'd say give it a shot, use it. If you noticed lots of crashes then.. well.. was worth a shot and turn it off and see if you notice layout gets much more stable. I have maybe one crash every couple days.

toby
04-10-2009, 03:33 PM
There is a workflow change that happens when you turn off the hub. You need to make hotkeys for 'replace object' 'replace object layer'in layout. So anytime you want to update a model you changed you need to replace it. Yes it gets annoying. But in the end things go much smoother.
Definitely. I hate losing all modeler undo's upon syncing with Layout, and surfacing becomes tricky, easy to lose your original surfaces.

4dartist
04-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I still don't understand this entirely, but if you have an object with, say, 5 layers and they are all just children to the same null/object, and you hit 'replace object' on the 1st layer, it will replace ALL the layers with the correct respective layer numbers.

BUT

But say you make a null, make it a child to layer1, then make layers 2-5 a child to that null. NOW when you 'replace object' on the layer 1 it will ONLY replace that layer.

I think LW 9.6 needs a ---replace all layers of that object with respective layers of -->(prompt browser to pick object) ----

That would solve it.

So when you have layers of an object scattered around a scene, sometimes you have to 'replace object layer' to EACH and EVERY layer. :(

BUT what you can do it save the object with the exact same name, then just reload the scene. :) I like my (replace all layers of object with respective layers of browsed object) much better.

Chilton if you read this, get on that.. ya.. *cracks whip* :)

lwanmtr
04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Chilton if you read this, get on that.. ya.. *cracks whip* :)

LOL....Dont go trying to distract them from working on Cocoa...I'd rather see 64bit on mac, then see little changes...hehe.

As for Hub, I havent had many issues..I used to disable it immediately prior to 9.6, but so far it's been fairly stable for me.

One change I would like to see in the UB version is multithreading dynamics, though.

avkills
04-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Well all I can say is you're going to be very happy when you click *render*. :D

-mark

Giacomo99
04-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Just my two cents: The Hub works fine for me on an Intel Dual 3.2 Quad running LW 9.6 on OS 10.5.6. I've never ever ever had even the tiniest problem with it.

4dartist
04-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Just my two cents: The Hub works fine for me on an Intel Dual 3.2 Quad running LW 9.6 on OS 10.5.6. I've never ever ever had even the tiniest problem with it.

Well that's good news indeed.

LW_Will
04-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but the Intel Mac version of 9.6 is more stable than the PC version...

Course, could be my PC... ;-)