PDA

View Full Version : Screen Capture Software.

Andyjaggy
04-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Anyone know of any good screen capture software for the PC that will actually capture at 30fps or close too?

steve0077
04-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Camtasia studio is nice but I don't know if its 30 fps.
http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

Andyjaggy
04-10-2009, 10:33 AM
No I've tried camtasia, it couldn't capture realtime.

walfridson
04-10-2009, 01:27 PM
What settings did you use in camstasia? and what resolution? 30 fps shouldnt bee any problem..

I use windows media encoder, no problems with 30 fps at high resolutions.

Andyjaggy
04-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't remember, I just remember trying to capture even one viewport in modeler and it couldn't keep up.

IMI
04-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't remember, I just remember trying to capture even one viewport in modeler and it couldn't keep up.

I do it all the time with Cam Studio 5 and Modeler, sometimes even at full screen resolution (1920x1200), with no problems but the occasional slowdown. I'm not sure exactly how many FPS it's getting but it's "real time enough" as far as I'm concerned.
The slowdown will depend on how much OGL stuff your graphics card and CPU is trying to push. More in the viewport, more chance of it slowing down, but my 640 MB 8800 GTS and quad core Q9550 handle it all quite nicely.
I make quite a few videos of Modeler stuff for myself, for reference and reminders on certain techniques.
In any event, just watch the William Vaughan videos. He uses Camtasia Studio, and it's obviously doing quite a good job, granted at a lower screen resolution, but it's still a decent size. He manually sets the playback FPS to 8 or 10 when producing the videos, but that's for file size.

Andyjaggy
04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Well I guess I'll give it a try again.

IMI
04-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Well I guess I'll give it a try again.

You ought to. Looking at your specs, you should have plenty enough power there.

GCL
04-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Another screen grabber program that I've used for years:

Capture Professional @:

http://www.creativesoftworx.com

and another link to Total Recorder (Sound/Video) @:

http://www.totalrecorder.com/productfr_trPRO.htm

and another used @

http://www.hyperionics.com/hc/

Andyjaggy
04-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Are you guys talking about the free version or the commercial one? The one I used before was some free version I found.

Larry_g1s
04-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I like CamStudio because it's free...but I had a little bit of problems with people viewing it. It might have just been they didn't have the loss less codec (they'd get half way through and crash).

But I'm going to try ZDSoft Recorder for the LWCAD training I'll be doing, which is like $40.

Andyjaggy
04-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Looks like my confusion is stemming from the difference between the free Camstudio, and the 299.00 camtasia studio.

Larry_g1s
04-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Looks like my confusion is stemming from the difference between the free Camstudio, and the 299.00 camtasia studio.The problem I have with Camtasia (yeah, the dev. of CamStudio did make it pretty confusing lol) is that I don't want to pay $300 for a screen recorder app that has all the bells and whistles I don't need, because I have them in other software (the video editing, compression, etc.). If the ZDSoft Recorder doesn't work out, my wish list from TechSoft would be to make a lite version of Camtasia (not just Jing, because last I checked it only allowed up to 5 minutes of recording), that was just the screen capturing abilities. Then have the full version for those who don't have other apps. with all the bells and whistles.

Andyjaggy
04-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, 299 is too steep for me at the moment.

Larry_g1s
04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, 299 is too steep for me at the moment.Well check out that ZDSoft Recorder (http://zdsoft.com/) for $40 bucks. They have a demo version that I'm going to try. What are you looking to do with, if you don't mind me asking?

Andyjaggy
04-10-2009, 04:05 PM
well I was thinking of doing some tutorials, but I also needed to screen capture some stuff for my demo reel.

Larry_g1s
04-10-2009, 04:11 PM
well I was thinking of doing some tutorials, but I also needed to screen capture some stuff for my demo reel.Oh..cool. What kind of tutorials? :thumbsup:

geothefaust
04-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that one Larry (ZDSoft). I didn't know about it. I've been using CamStudio (the free one), and it does have some choppiness to it. I'm going to be recording my rigging reel here in a day or two and have been looking around again.

I like Camtasia but there is no way in hell I'm going to pay $300! Thieves. :devil:

IMI
04-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Looks like my confusion is stemming from the difference between the free Camstudio, and the 299.00 camtasia studio.

Oh, sorry, I didn't even think about that. I bought Camtasia Studio back at version 4 and have upgraded since. Version 6 is out now, but I don't know that there's any real reason to upgrade to it. Version 5 is quite good for what I do with it.

Larry_g1s
04-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that one Larry (ZDSoft). I didn't know about it. I've been using CamStudio (the free one), and it does have some choppiness to it. I'm going to be recording my rigging reel here in a day or two and have been looking around again.

I like Camtasia but there is no way in hell I'm going to pay $300! Thieves. :devil:You bet, Matt mentioned it to me sometime back. Like I said, I'm going to try the demo & if all goes well, it'll be the one I use to do my LWCAD training. Uh yeah...$300 is outrageous. Looking forward to the rigging reel!

IMI
04-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Like I said, I'm going to try the demo & if all goes well, it'll be the one I use to do my LWCAD training.

Huh? What's this about LWCAD training videos? You're going to make some LWCAD training?

Larry_g1s
04-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Huh? What's this about LWCAD training videos? You're going to make some LWCAD training?Yeah...check it out: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96401

I've even worked with Viktor on it who's going to give a discount for pre LWCAD v3 users to upgrade who purchase the training. And got Tom Bosschaert (Exception on the boards) on board to do a lighting/render tutorial to accompany it, with James (archijam) to do some landscape layout training.

I think it'll be a lot of fun & informative.

IMI
04-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Oh cool. Thanks - I don't know how I managed to miss that, but it's good to know. :thumbsup:

Keep us posted!

Larry_g1s
04-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Oh cool. Thanks - I don't know how I managed to miss that, but it's good to know. :thumbsup:

Keep us posted!Yeah, no problem. If you could shoot me out an e-mail ([email protected]) I'll put you on the mailing list.

IMI
04-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah, no problem. If you could shoot me out an e-mail ([email protected]) I'll put you on the mailing list.

Ah, thanks. I sent you an email.

Andyjaggy
04-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Just downloaded that ZD Soft program. Seems to work really well, I think I may end up purchasing it. Thanks for the link.

Larry_g1s
04-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Just downloaded that ZD Soft program. Seems to work really well, I think I may end up purchasing it. Thanks for the link.Very good. Glad I could help and also find out seems solid. By the way, you didn't mentioned what type of tutorials you're looking to do. Or are you going to wait to mention?

Andyjaggy
04-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Well after further testing I don't think it is going to work, it works great in everything except modeler. It's like it tries to guess which viewport you are using, and it is constantly jumping around to the different viewports. It doesn't do this in Layout, but I need it to work in modeler. There is no way to get it to not do this as far as I can tell.

I was going to do some modeling tutorials.

OnlineRender
04-11-2009, 11:49 AM
did you try hypercam ,seems ok for me EDIT , lock it to 2 view ports in modeler , its trying to figure it which one to use , i think u can maunally set the capture any size ie no viewports only what you assigned the screen size as , or it works with hypercam like that .

ohh another software which is free i think is www.fraps.com

try that

IMI
04-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Well after further testing I don't think it is going to work, it works great in everything except modeler. It's like it tries to guess which viewport you are using, and it is constantly jumping around to the different viewports. It doesn't do this in Layout, but I need it to work in modeler. There is no way to get it to not do this as far as I can tell.

I was going to do some modeling tutorials.

So why not just use only one viewport and change the view as needed?

Larry_g1s
04-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey Andyjaggy, I just tried the demo of ZD Recorder and I could not get it to record in LightWave or in Maya. Everthing else recorded just fine, but as soon as I went in to either of these two programs, nothing in the viewports would record. It looked like you had a different issue with this demo. What OS are you on. I'm XP 64bit with an ATI Radeon card.

Andyjaggy
04-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Vista 64 with an ATI card. It will work if I stay in full screen viewport mode, but I think I might try out some of the other options that won't have that limitation.

IMI
04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't know anything about it, but TechSmith, makers of Camtasia Studio, have Snagit also, which I think is a stripped down version of Camtasia Studio.

Larry_g1s
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Vista 64 with an ATI card. It will work if I stay in full screen viewport mode, but I think I might try out some of the other options that won't have that limitation.I'll try full screen, but the problem with that, is I've got dual 24" monitors at 1920x1200 resolution. So a 1920x1200 output would be huge. I've got After Effects that I can modify it if need be.

EDIT: Strange...I just tried at full screen and though it solved the issues of at least letting me work in modeler while it was recording (I couldn't even do anything in the viewports before while recording) the output video doesn't show anything now. Audio is there, just a black screen in Windows Media Player. Strange. I'll try a different player, but the video played in WMP before when I tried to record in a non-3D app.

I don't know anything about it, but TechSmith, makers of Camtasia Studio, have Snagit also, which I think is a stripped down version of Camtasia Studio.Don't quote me on this, but I thought Snagit was just for stills. If not, that'd be great.

IMI
04-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I thought Snagit was just for stills. If not, that'd be great.

No, I just checked and you're right. Stills only. Sorry about that. :o

Larry_g1s
04-15-2009, 11:36 AM
No, I just checked and you're right. Stills only. Sorry about that. :oNo prob. I like Jing, but it's only 5 minutes of recording. Granted it's Free, but I'd pay for it if it was Camtasia with out all the bells and whistles and was decently priced. As stated before Camtasia is just way to expensive.

EDIT: Jing Pro is a yearly service for $14.95, it takes away the jing logo at the end with some other stuff, but does anyone know if the cap on 5 minutes still there?
EDIT: Jing pro still has the 5 minute cap.

Larry_g1s
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
No, I just checked and you're right. Stills only. Sorry about that. :oHey, just an FYI on SnagIt. It does do video. I can't find on the site where it says it, but on the feature list pdf it shows it. I also downloaded the demo and sure enough it does, and with modeler and such where as I was having problems using ZD Recorder with LW & Maya. The only downside is it seems to only do it in 15 fps. But the play back seemed just fine. I'll give it a better test and let you guys know.

borkus
04-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I tried the ZD recorder and got the same problems as well. I ended up going back to this Free Screen Recorder (http://www.nbxsoft.com/download-screen-recorder.php) that I had found a little while ago. It's free, which is a plus right now. And, it did work for me flawlessly (none of the viewport ********) in modeller. I did have to do some configuring for the microphone though. But, it was an easy fix. To Andy though, not sure if it will hold up to the fps you are looking for, but it will record it. Thought I would pass it on. Hope that is does what you need. There are what seems to be thousands of video capturing programs on the market right now. Ranging from $10 to $300... Hard to tell what is what anymore...

Carm3D
04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
I've been using the demo version of BSR Screen Recorder (http://www.bsrsoft.com/) for the past few weeks. I haven't tried to crank it up to 30 fps, however. It's $40.

OnlineRender
04-22-2009, 02:34 AM
www.fraps.com

lwaddict
04-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Adobe Captivate works pretty well and there's a literal ton of other things you can do with it.

Andyjaggy
04-22-2009, 09:50 AM
yeah it's also like 800.00 dollars. :)

lwaddict
04-22-2009, 03:39 PM
DOH...sorry...
didn't realize the request was for cheap or free...
gotta point that out ya know.

I was just pointing out what works the best for us.

There's always CTRL + Print Screen
then paste into your graphic software
then edit some text instruction over it.

:lol:

Larry_g1s
04-22-2009, 03:55 PM
DOH...sorry...
didn't realize the request was for cheap or free...
gotta point that out ya know.

I was just pointing out what works the best for us.

There's always CTRL + Print Screen
then paste into your graphic software
then edit some text instruction over it.

:lol:Not so much cheap or free, just something that works well and not going to cost an arm and a leg to just screen capture/record.

lwaddict
04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
We went through about 4 or 5 of the cheaper packages but it's always something...
stalling, staggering, jittering, sound pops (if applicable), etc...

Captivate's only drawback was that they tell you that you can create tests and whatnot...but the functionality really isn't there unless you're a db programming guru.

Have you considered just recording it with an HD cam?
Then you can capture however you like and post away.
Trust me, if you aren't going to get a good app, this will save you some wear and tear on your nerves.

Carm3D
04-23-2009, 01:41 PM
The original request was for software that could record at 30 fps or close to it. I used BSR at 20 fps with no problems. I am running a quad-core system tho.. Might be a factor.

Larry_g1s
04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
The original request was for software that could record at 30 fps or close to it. I used BSR at 20 fps with no problems. I am running a quad-core system tho.. Might be a factor.And from the stuff you were using it for and posting (from what I can remember) it looked fine. Does BSR work at 30 thought, just curious.

Carm3D
04-23-2009, 02:29 PM
And from the stuff you were using it for and posting (from what I can remember) it looked fine. Does BSR work at 30 thought, just curious.

Never tried it.. Really, the only one who can answer that for you is you.. Because your computer doesn't have the same guts as mine. Try the demo. For doing LW tuts, 30 fps isn't necessary. I did a few at 10 fps and one at 5 fps and it was just fine (Well the 5 fps one was a bit much).

Larry_g1s
04-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Never tried it.. Really, the only one who can answer that for you is you.. Because your computer doesn't have the same guts as mine. Try the demo. For doing LW tuts, 30 fps isn't necessary. I did a few at 10 fps and one at 5 fps and it was just fine (Well the 5 fps one was a bit much).Cool, I'll give it a try.

Larry_g1s
04-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I've been using the demo version of BSR Screen Recorder (http://www.bsrsoft.com/) for the past few weeks. I haven't tried to crank it up to 30 fps, however. It's $40.It looks like BSR Screen Rec. might be it. Thanks Carm, I did see that in a search and just forgot about it. So it was nice to see a testimony on it.

www.fraps.comCouldn't get it to rec. Has a hot key, but when I tried to use it, it used the hot key on the app trying to record. Thanks anyways.

Carm3D
04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Have fun and link us to your new tutorials. :)

Larry_g1s
04-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Have fun and link us to your new tutorials. :)You bet. :thumbsup:

ansfav
04-24-2009, 01:07 AM
i use CamStudio... (http://camstudio.org/)

It is Free and i find it so cool!

Just max out all quality options, i find this pretty awesome!!!:thumbsup:

geothefaust
04-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Hey Larry, I've been digging around for a similar program too (as you know!)... I haven't tried BSR yet, so I'll give it a go, but I did try out Camtasia, I actually really like that program. It's great even, unfortunately it is a bit expensive, but it does also edit video. Though through some testing I also found some weird bug, where if you increase the speed of the video, when you render out your video it doesn't place the transitions accord to the new speed...

Anyway, just a heads up if you're going to be doing anything like that. Probably not though.

PS- Just read about SnagIt, I thought it was just for still too, I couldn't find a bloody thing on it for recording video. Well kept secret? Me thinks so.

Ansfav, Camstudio is "OK". OK, being that it's barely passable. I've been using it for about a month now regularly, and it gets horrible frame rates and HUGE effing file sizes. No joy there.