PDA

View Full Version : Aligning Pitch and Vertex Paint

inakito
04-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Hi guys!
I just started rigging a character. I first create the bones in modeller and convert them in Layout. Also I create the weight maps using Vertex Paint. When I import my model into Layout and start aligning the pitch axis for every bone, it looks like the information of the weighmaps doesn't work anymore, so my mesh it is not being deformed any longer.
Can anyone help me wuth this and let me know if this is ok?
Thanks!

Ah! I am using Lightwave 9.3

Sarford
04-11-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm don't rigg in LW, but LW doesn't need weightmaps to deform so there propably is a diferent problem.
Since you said you used skelegons, they are propably in another layer. That means you have to tell Layout you wanna use the bones from that layer. I can't remember though how you do that.
It could also be that 'enable deform' is off or that 'bones on/off' is set to off.

Don't forget to rest the rotation and position of every bone before activating them or it will mess up your mesh and it can't be undone, you'll have to reload the scene.

inakito
04-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Lets make it simple.
Lets say i have got a rig for a character I would like to use for a different one. If I dropped the new character into Layout with the weighmaps already created, how do I get the bones to modify the geometry?
Thanks!

IMI
04-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't think you can use skelegons from one model to influence the mesh of another model.
But you can create your bones directly in Layout and save that rig out using the ExportRIG plugin under the Setup tab. Then you can use that rig for any similar character by importing it back in.
You can't export a skelegon rig, by the way, but I suppose you could copy it in Modeler to another layer for a different model.
As for applying weight maps, you do that in the bone properties panel. Select a bone and hit the P key on your keyboard ("P" by default, to open the properties panel), and in the dropdown for weight maps for that bone, select the weight map you want to use for that bone. All your figure's weight maps will be in the list under the dropdown arrow.