PDA

View Full Version : Is NewTek at FMX?

Limbus
04-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Hi there,
the 14. International Conference on Animation, Effects, Games and Digital Media is taking place May 5-8 in Stuttgart, germany. I wonder if NewTek will be present there this year.
Cheers, Florian

jburford
04-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Doesn't look like it if you look through the schedule. . .

I should see if I can get some time off and go.

jburford
04-10-2009, 06:48 AM
or invite all LW Users to come on a specific day to meet and check out some of the happennings and chill.

Lightwolf
04-10-2009, 07:24 AM
It's hard to find a time when everybody is able to come, we tried in the past few years and some people never made it.

Since we're in Stuttgart we'll try to come up with something (very informal, just a place and time really).

Cheers,
Mike

WilliamVaughan
04-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I went there one year and enjoyed it...hope to go again in the future.:thumbsup:

Lightwolf
04-10-2009, 07:36 AM
After a bit of discussuion here:

Tuesday is the only day without an official party in the evening. If we're to reserve a room somewhere, close to the fmx (Stuttgart is bound to be busy due to the ITF happening at the same time) we'd need a certain minimum amount of people to definetly make it (which never worked in the past).

Another option would be just a gathering in a bar with a set time and date and that's it.

Opinions?

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
04-10-2009, 07:36 AM
I went there one year and enjoyed it...hope to go again in the future.:thumbsup:
That was 2004, wasn't it? Yeah, that was great. And you seem to have enjoyed the food and drink as well - not just the show :D

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
04-10-2009, 07:46 AM
As a suggestion:
http://www.schlesinger-int.de/12
Tuesday, 19:00.
The Schlesinger is right across the street from the fmx and they serve very decent food as well.

Cheers,
Mike

jburford
04-10-2009, 03:09 PM
I think I must call in "sick" to make it as I had already put in leave for that week but was kindly rejected since they thought too many people were gone. Damn would really love to get the week off.

Lightwolf
04-10-2009, 03:27 PM
So people interested in both have to decide what they want to see...
We have the same problem trying to get a LW meeting set-up as well. There's just is much going on.

But if Tuesday is o.k. then we'll post a proper announcement on our site and also spread the word.

Cheers,
Mike

mch
04-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi Lightwolf, Oliver and Co.

I'll be in Stuttgart 5th to 10th of May for fmx09 and itfs.

It would be nice to meet some active Lightwave 3D artists so it's a great idea to find a place and date.

Anyway - I don't know my schedule yet but you can reach me mostly on mobile phone and make spontanious appointments.
Send me a PM to get my number.

Tuesday, 19:00. The Schlesinger - I keep it in mind and watch this thread...

Hope to see some of you guys in Stuttgart,

Cheers,

Marcus

Who's Who: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=867314#post867314

Lightwolf
04-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Send me a PM to get my number.
I will.

Tuesday, 19:00. The Schlesinger - I keep it in mind and watch this thread...
And since we're on twitter now (it wasn't my idea, honest!): http://twitter.com/db_w (we'll keep that up to date if anything comes up).

Cheers,
Mike

MrWyatt
04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
will be there too.
:D

Thomas M.
04-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Just ordered my tickets, though I can't tell if I'll be there all the days or at all. Hope I'll manage to take off enough time from work to do so.

jburford
04-25-2009, 06:13 PM
My car just bombed out.... :-(

Anyone passing through Frankfurt on the way to Stuttgart? Will check on Monday but looks like I should be able to get off Tuesday afternoon and also Wednesday...

Auch, hat jemand ein Zimmer oder bilige Bleibe?

Cheers Jeff

archijam
04-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Won't be able to make it this time .. have an extra beer for me :beerchug:

Oliver: Any stills lying about the webs for your film?

Limbus
04-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Too bad NewTek is not at FMX. All other competitors are!

Have fun there guys and post some pics!

Florian

archijam
04-27-2009, 01:24 AM
But I really really hope BeeVee can make it to take some notes. And have a few beers... :)

He just needs some alternative booth strategies ...

http://theinvisibleagent.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/cigarettegirlruthetting-ziegfeldfollies.jpg

Lightwolf
04-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Just to let you know, I've posted a slightly more official announcement on our website:

http://www.db-w.com/content/view/131/79/

Please pass it around (and yes, this is just a meeting).

Cheers,
Mike

jburford
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Cool, just booked a hotel around the corner, Heilbronnerstrasse. . ..

(now to organize getting off, grins)

Thomas M.
04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Fahre wahrscheinlich durch Frankfurt, kann aber erst Montag Abend sagen, ob ich überhaupt fahre oder weiter schaffen muß.

Habe mich schon in sämtliche Autodesk Präsentationen eingebucht die mir eine Kaufentscheidung einfacher machen sollen. Wäre eine Schande wenn ich am Rechner versauer ...

jburford
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Hope it works out Thomas, das würde schlimm sein wenn tu schaffen muß...

Just booked via der Bahn, good offer roundtrip ICE 64 Euros with seat reservation. Hotel also darn good rate.

Just offed an Email to my boss now asking to have off..... (cart in front of the horse) ;-) should be ok, confused the wrong month earlier in the Thread, thought was in June.

jburford
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
First Time to fmx (if it works out), am a bit confused, are List-Saal, König-Karl-Halle, Meldinger Saal, and Bertha-Benz-Saal all at the same location?

BeeVee
04-27-2009, 02:35 PM
He just needs some alternative booth strategies ...

http://theinvisibleagent.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/cigarettegirlruthetting-ziegfeldfollies.jpg

Hey! Where did you get that picture of me?! I thought I had all the copies burnt! :eek:

B

Lightwolf
04-27-2009, 03:12 PM
First Time to fmx (if it works out), am a bit confused, are List-Saal, König-Karl-Halle, Meldinger Saal, and Bertha-Benz-Saal all at the same location?
Yes, they're all rooms/halls in the Haus der Wirtschaft, which is a single building.

Cheers,
Mike

Thomas M.
04-29-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't know wether I'll make it for the 5th. Is there a way we can get in touch in Stuttgart later the week (like the 7th) or in general?

Thomas M.
05-01-2009, 04:01 AM
So, any way of meeting you guys during the FMX? Will we be wearing a red rose to identify each other?

jburford
05-01-2009, 10:24 AM
perhaps a bloody nose?

Riff_Masteroff
05-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Dern . . . I am stuck on the other side of the world . . . wish I could come

jburford
05-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Dern . . . I am stuck on the other side of the world . . . wish I could come

That is not a problem, the world is turning. ... just stay put and in 24 hours you will be in the same position that we were . . .. :)

jburford
05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Did I hear that Lightwolf is buying the first round of drinks?

MrWyatt
05-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Hmmm... if he does, the second one is on me.
:hey:

Lightwolf
05-02-2009, 02:59 PM
We're in Germany, not the UK :D

Cheers,
Mike

mch
05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
So maybe I can take over for the first round of beer
or the third if Mike changes his mind . . .

Though - as Oliver mentioned before - itfs ( Internationale Trickfilmtage Stuttgart ) is opening tuesday evening.

Anyway, I prefer the LW User Meeting at 7 p.m. to see You !!!

I'll be at The Schlesinger wearing a bald cap and a red nose.

A ten minute short I did the most of the postproduction is screened in the International Competition 2 (wednesday at 9 p.m. for example)

It is a stop motion film called "Die Schiefe Bahn" aka "The Rat Train Robbery".

http://stoptrick.com/script/film_schiefebahn.html

It's classic puppet animation -no 3D computer animation included this time.

Lots of compositing work - fix it in the post style. Set extensions, retouching, repairs, some green screen stuff, rig removals, color corrections etc. on cineon 2k scans.

So I'll be at fmx09 and itfs to extend the daily schedule.

See you next week !!!

Yours,

Marcus :D

Lightwolf
05-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Though - as Oliver mentioned before - itfs ( Internationale Trickfilmtage Stuttgart ) is opening tuesday evening.

The problem is that every evening is busy, whatever you do. At least Tuesday evening is not fmx related, which is why we picked it.

Only two days to go... :beerchug: :jam:

Cheers
Mike

mch
05-03-2009, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=Lightwolf;879846]The problem is that every evening is busy, whatever you do. At least Tuesday evening is not fmx related, which is why we picked it.

- That's fine. Tuesday evening is a really good choice.

Later the week finding blank spots is even worse . . .

The week is full of great speaches, events and screenings. Mostly the same time at different locations.

No complaints at all.

Thanks Mike for organizing and proposing the LW User Meeting at the chosen location.

See you tuesday evening !!!

Cheers,

Marcus

Lightwolf
05-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks Mike for organizing and proposing the LW User Meeting at the chosen location.
Well, there isn't much organization involved this time. We just picked a time, a place and announced it.

Cheers,
Mike

mch
05-04-2009, 06:08 AM
I'll fly this evening from Hamburg to Stuttgart.

So - see you tomorrow.

If I forget my red nose and you don't see me at the Schlesinger you can call me on the cell phone.

Thanks for picking time, place and making an anouncement.

CU,

Marcus :D

Thomas M.
05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Damn, won't manage to be there by tomorrow. Earliest Thursday. Hope I'll be able to cancel my flight, otherwise the money is gone.

Any chance to see you guys on Thursday or Friday?

Really need to come to Stuttgart to gather enough info on which package of software I buy next. For sure it's Autodesk related, but who knows ...

mch
05-12-2009, 04:16 PM
fmx 09 and itfs are over now.

Yesterday evening I flew back to Hamburg.

FMX 09 contained great programs with speakers from all over the world.

Newtek really missed a good oportunity to present itself on one of the biggest VFX events in Europe.
Whole day long you could attend to lectures and workshops in up to 9 parallel halls with up to several hundred listeners each.

Presentations included ILM, Digital Domain, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Double Negative, Pixar, BUF, Disney ... just to mention a few.

Speakers included visual effects veterans such as Richard Edlund (star wars etc.), Harrison Ellenshaw, Syd Mead (designer of blade runner etc.) and Mr. HDRI himself Paul Debevec for instance.

I really hate name dropping but I want to make clear that fmx is an international conference of high profile and real importance.

So companies like Autodesk, Pixar, Luxology, Side Effects, Maxon, E-On, Adobe, etc. obviously presented their software in workshops and trade fair booths.

It was great to be there and I enjoyed the LW user meeting very much.

Thanks again to Mike and Oliver !!!

So let's have fun again at home with all that toys and create some fine imagery . . .

Marcus :)

Netvudu
05-13-2009, 05:53 AM
yup. This was a big miss by Newtek. I think not being a european company they didn´t understand how important this event is.

MrWyatt
05-13-2009, 06:06 AM
yup. This was a big miss by Newtek. I think not being a european company they didn´t understand how important this event is.

Hmmm.... is Autodesk a european company? Or Side Effects? Or Adobe? Or Luxology? Or Pixar?

I guess Newtek needs something else to hide behind than the fact that they are not a european company.

Limbus
05-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Hmmm.... is Autodesk a european company? Or Side Effects? Or Adobe? Or Luxology? Or Pixar?

I guess Newtek needs something else to hide behind than the fact that they are not a european company.

Quoted for agreement!

MrWyatt
05-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Hehe... actually I saw Autodesk promoting LW material again ... does that count? I mean, of course, there was the Autodesk logo on it... ;)

I bet you it was composited using Autodesk software, but yes, this sort of thing sucks.

Netvudu
05-13-2009, 09:21 AM
hey, I was just trying to find an explanation for such a big and obvious miss...
If all those other companies did their homework, more power to them....

archijam
05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Net: I think they are all quoting you for agreement.

Let's hope the time gained means a big CORE release for the next FMX ...