PDA

View Full Version : entry

RonB
04-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Just finished this for myself. Modeled and textured in Lightwave rendered in Maxwell. Any comments and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers, Ron

http://www.dahothouse.com/work/stuccodoor.jpg

BigHache
04-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Your textures are pretty fab! Is the stucco all procedural or any images?

RonB
04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks BigHache!

The stucco is an image map with a generated normal map from it for the bump. It's a combo of a couple free maps I found on the web and worked on in PS. Took a lot of tests and reworking to make it seamless without repeating patterns and still look interesting. One trick I found was duplicating the texture layer in PS, rotating it 90 degrees and applying it back on itself in Darken mode. That helps break up reaping patterns.

The floor tile was made from several rock photos. The wood for the door was made in PS, just a bunch scattered dots with motion blur applied then colorized and toned.

Cheers,
Ron

accom
04-10-2009, 01:21 AM
If you look at the edges where wall and tiled floor meet, you'll miss some shadow on the foremost edges on the left side (where the stairs are), while in the back there is a nice shadow (edge). Otherwise - superb!

RonB
04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for your kind words and suggestion accom!

Actually the missing shadow would not be there in real life. The tile butts up against the wall, where it is sealed for weather, and the stucco comes down to it. There is no gap or grout line between them. The mistake was on the inner walls where they sat on the floor. They didn't meet perfectly and that's where the shadow came from, there should not have been one there either. It's been fixed.

Cheers, Ron

sampei
04-10-2009, 01:52 PM
that stucco is ace, can't find anything wrong with it. Definetly taking some notes on the PS technique you mentioned: by the way after the 90 degree rotation + darkening do you change the layer's opacity/fill % ?

RonB
04-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Sampei, thanks!
"by the way after the 90 degree rotation + darkening do you change the layer's opacity/fill % ? "

Sometimes, play around with it...different images or textures react in different ways depending on the texture itself, it's tonal density and or it's color. You have to play with each individually to find what works best. I was hoping to write an action script for plug and play but what works for one may not for another. But after you get into the technigue it's goes pretty fast.

Another thing that I found that works great when making these stucco texture maps is to do your touch up cloning, when removing repeat patterns as you are building the texture, with a "veins" brush of various sizes. Don't use a plain old soft round brush because the soft edge ruins the texture by smooshing and blurring it. The "veins" brush breaks up patterns without destroying the fine texture. Make sure you have the brush pallet open so you can rotate it now and then to make sure it varies too.

Just Google "Photoshop veins brushes"...there's a bunch of free ones out there you can choose from. Hope you find that useful.

Cheers, Ron

BigHache
04-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the tip! Definitely WIN on the stucco.

sampei
04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
/cut
That's a ton of great advice Ron, thanks so much :thumbsup: