PDA

View Full Version : newbie - making lights "look" like lights - HOW?

Ade
08-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Hey guys Im lighting a room and have 4 lights in the ceilings they are point lights but cant seem to see them when visiable, just the actual illumination they give off.
What am i doing wrong? or have turned off? Am I using the wrong type of lights?
I want some falloff as if they were spot lights but u can faintly see a beam.

Is that volumetrics?

gjjackson
08-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Point Lights sends out light in all directions from its location. You may want to use a different type. It sounds as if you want to use volumetric lighting. In the light properties set volumetric lighting on. From there you'll have other options

Ade
08-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Spot lights with 3m height and sprite mode?

hrgiger
08-18-2003, 03:10 PM
You can also turn on lens flare for the light.

08-18-2003, 03:19 PM
All that a lightwave light gives you is a point source of light.
Unless its a distant light with direction but no actual source.
or a linear light (which is a cheat - its a lazy way to get a row of points.)
or an area light, (ditto in 2D.(
A spotilght is a point light with controled angle and direction, but the source is still a tiny point.
Its up to you to model the fitting and bulb!
(although you could just turn on lens flare for the bulb (but untick the ring and outer glow))
If you do model the light fitting, remember not to have the bits surrounding the light source casting shadows! (put them on a separate layer, and turn off shadows in 'item' properties')
It's probably best to just give your 'bulb' surface a high (100%+) luminosity and glow (remember to turn on glow in 'scene' 'image process')
Volumetrics give you the effect of a haze or smoke around the light - use sparingly.
IMHO you should leave Radiosity in the box untill you've learnt to light scenes properly. it eats render time.
Remember, most great photos and films use lots of lighting gear to augment the blandness that is natural lighting !