PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #33 - It belongs to my pet.

sammael
04-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #33 - It belongs to my Pet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - It belongs to my Pet.
Could be anything you associate with your pet, even if you don't have a pet :)

Time Limit - 90 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 15 April 2200 GMT.

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group (http://www.newtek.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7)

colkai
04-09-2009, 02:05 AM
Heh, cool idea. Not sure if I'll be able to enter, (depends if the wife lets me take my laptop on holiday this weekend. :p )

Iain
04-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Ach I got rid of the dead mouse that my cat brought me this morning.
Although technically that was mine, I suppose.

Good topic!

colkai
04-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Had to.. :p
Dogs outside water bowl, ooh, 2 or 3 minutes worth of modelling there. :)
EDIT: Actually, just noticed, the rim is too thick, gosh, that means another 30 seconds modelling hehe....

Gonna have to do his other food bowls and food stand now, (he's getting on so can't eat if his bowl is on the floor).

shrox
04-09-2009, 05:19 AM
My dog's favorite toy, Commander Riker from Star Trek:The Next Generation! Or Squeaky Riker as we call him, at least what's left of him...it's pretty chewed up, missing an arm and part of his head, and the face has worn off.

Took about 30 minutes.

Kuzey
04-09-2009, 05:49 AM
I don't have a pet but I did walk one of those little Pug dogs while I was in Ankara...for a week. Now, these dogs are very rare here and 70% of people we passed on the walk were so scared, they jumped out of the way as soon as they noticed him, often crashing into other people. Shame I didn't have a video camera with me :D

Nice work Shrox...good to see new blood in the challenges :thumbsup:

Colkai, I'm sure you can get a few more done before the weekend and then you can relax :D

Kuzey

colkai
04-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Colkai, I'm sure you can get a few more done before the weekend and then you can relax :D

Kuzey

Never one to pass a chance up. :p
Took about 20 mins to do the other two bowls, hopefully get chance to do the food stand and a complete render after the weekend and before the deadline. :)

RollerJesus
04-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Took about 20 mins to do the other two bowls, hopefully get chance to do the food stand and a complete render after the weekend and before the deadline. :)

Nice to see you're fitting in some contest time while on holiday. I had to leave the laptop behind last weekend...

That brushed aluminum looks great!

colkai
04-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Nice to see you're fitting in some contest time while on holiday.
Not on holiday yet. :p
Managed to squeeze that in in my lunch break, going laptop / computer free this weekend. Eek, how will I survive? :D :D

Nangleator
04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Laptop/computer free? That's no vacation. That's punishment!

R.Feeney
04-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I dont have a dog but if I did I wouldnt put this around its neck.

Iain
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I dont have a dog but if I did I wouldnt put this around its neck.

Cools. Makes me think of Spike from Tom and Jerry.

IMI
04-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Looks great, R.Feeney!
Yeah, that's definitely a cartoon bulldog collar there. Not the render, the design.
Or maybe something for the S&M people too. ;)

RollerJesus
04-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I have to stop doing the same thing as Feeney, making me look bad...

This took me right up to the 90 minutes. I had some trouble bending until I realized that I shouldn't have polys selected that I don't want to bend. duh. I ran out of time and didn't get to add the little metal piece on the clasp that that goes through the holes in the collar, or cut the hole for it...

I also included a picture of my wife's dog that wears this collar. You know, for reference and all.

Giving away the model, scene and dog. Just kidding about the dog... :devil:

Hope you like it.

R.Feeney
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
looking forward to seeing the final version:thumbsup:

My dog's favorite toy, Commander Riker from Star Trek:The Next Generation! Or Squeaky Riker as we call him, at least what's left of him...it's pretty chewed up, missing an arm and part of his head, and the face has worn off.

Took about 30 minutes.
I have always had the same urge- destroy riker:D
Nice work, can you post a shot of the wireframes if you want a chance to win.

I have to stop doing the same thing as Feeney, making me look bad...

This time you are making my collar look bad :thumbsup:

My one was inspired by memories of spike from tom & jerry. you were right guys

R.Feeney
04-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I dont have a bird either :D
about 40 min

Nicolas Jordan
04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I took the full 90 minutes to model this. I experimented with different topology and never realized there was so many different ways to model the same simple object. I applied FiberFX for the tennis ball fibers. The fibers still aren't quite right but I think they are close.

This is my dogs favorite toy and it lasts him for two weeks to a month and then we have to get him a new one after it starts coming apart.

R.Feeney
04-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Nice render Nicolas.
You will need to post a wireframe image to be in with a chance to win

Nicolas Jordan
04-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh sorry forgot about the wires, here they are.

Hopper
04-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Nice job Nicolas. Bandglue the polys in the middle and I'd say you have created your entry with near perfect poly flow. The FFX is damn near spot on for a tennis ball type look.

If I had some quality time for texturing, I'd have modeled the 'gift' my wife's dog left on my new dining room rug this morning.

Or I could just model my shoe now that it pretty much belongs to the dog's butt.

IMI
04-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Cool entries so far, guys. I love that bone, Nicolas, it looks really good. :thumbsup:

I don't know if I'll be able to get anything in for this one since I have alot on my plate at the moment.

RollerJesus
04-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Nicolas,

That is some of the finest FFX stuff I've seen. Great render!

sammael
04-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Some really nice stuff here guys, I think you really captured the tennis ball look Nicolas.

It isnt looking good for my entry at this stage. I had some interviews and things going on last week and finally scored my first 3D job and using LW! on the downside I got a major cavity in a wisdom tooth which prevented me from sleeping for 3 days, had to get it pulled out on Saturday and now I look and feel like the elephant man.
Excuses, excuses I know but I'm starting work tomorrow and I dunno if im going to find the time before the deadline :(

adamredwoods
04-13-2009, 12:30 AM
Self explanatory. I think my images are getting weirder...

A relatively quick model, heart only, about 45 minutes.

The animal is suppose to be a cat, which is the pet in my apartment, but it looks more like a dog. I tried to get finer hair, but finer hair left too much of the sub structure exposed. FiberFX is hard to tweak, since it takes so long for each render (on my machine at least).

flakester
04-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Absolutely great subject for this round Sammael. :thumbsup:

I won't be able to get something in for this one, but I'll do my best to keep an eye on the entries here.

Grand work so far all. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

shrox
04-14-2009, 03:49 AM
...I have always had the same urge- destroy riker:D
Nice work, can you post a shot of the wireframes if you want a chance to win...

I wasn't looking to "win", I just thought it would be fun to show what border collies like to play with. My other BC has a light saber that is her favorite toy...she's a Jedi border collie. I'll go ahead a render the wireframe though.

robert_Lavigne
04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Heres a hamburger chew toy I whipped up. I wish I had some more time for the textures, but oh well.

Yamba
04-15-2009, 12:54 AM
First attempt. One of those furry mousey things that cats apparently like to play with. I hate cats, it's my daughters so what can you do?

Ten minutes to model a lifetime to put the fur on and I'm still far from happy.

Kuzey
04-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Nice work Robert and Yamba :thumbsup:

Kuzey

JeffrySG
04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
OK, I couldn't resist this one... :D

I love all the entries here. Especially the ones that use the FF hair. Really nice work! I really like both of the dog collars, the bird cage and the bone with the tennis fur!

shrox
04-15-2009, 08:06 AM

No that was your pet's, now it's yours...

IMI
04-15-2009, 09:11 AM

No offense Jeffry, but that looks like sh1t. ;)

JeffrySG
04-15-2009, 09:22 AM
No that was your pet's, now it's yours...
Yeah, it's funny how that works out! We get to pick up dog sh-t all the time in cute little bags. lol!

No offense Jeffry, but that looks like sh1t. ;)
lol, thanks!

JeffrySG
04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone here ever participates in any of the modeling challenges over at CGT?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=208

I know they are usually much longer and more involved but I was just curious to see if any of you guys ever enter?

adamredwoods
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone here ever participates in any of the modeling challenges over at CGT?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=208

I know they are usually much longer and more involved but I was just curious to see if any of you guys ever enter?

I just saw that-- am bummed I missed it.

But also, I have such little time to do anything these days, that these one hour speed modeling challenges are quite enough.

IMI
04-15-2009, 11:01 AM
But also, I have such little time to do anything these days, that these one hour speed modeling challenges are quite enough.

Yeah, same here. Although I also personally don't like CG Talk much, especially as a LW user...

I wish I could have entered this one here for example, but didn't have enough time for it this week. That and I don't have any pets anymore. Plus I didn't know what to model anyway - too many options. My last pet was a cat, and pretty much everything in the house belonged to her. ;)

JCG
04-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Argh, just disqualified myself. Completely lost track of time. Just looked up and I've been 72 minutes in this. Since I was going back and forth I don't even have any idea where I was 12 minutes ago. Unfortunately, there's not enough time left in the challenge to start over.

IMI
04-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Looks good, JGC.
You made it in time though. For some reason this challenge was 90 minutes instead of the usual hour.

EDIT: You have to get a render AND a wireframe in though, to qualify.

JCG
04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Eh?
WAAAAH!!!

IMI
04-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Eh?
WAAAAH!!!

Yeah, you gotta pay attention around here. ;)

JCG
04-15-2009, 04:04 PM
lol!

R.Feeney
04-16-2009, 04:58 AM
Great stuff guys.

sammael gets to pick the winner when he is ready.

R.Feeney
04-16-2009, 05:19 AM
New challenge started
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97799

shrox
04-16-2009, 05:52 AM
I wasn't trying to win, I just think my dog's choice of toys in rather interesting.

sammael
04-16-2009, 06:28 AM
R.Feeney I am going to choose you as the winner in that case, the collar is great and having made one recently I know its trickier than it looks. RollerJesus collar was great too but its missing the pin that goes through the holes :)
I was tempted by Nicolas's entry because the FFX works really nice but in terms of modeling quality I think R.Feeney has made the most intricate & quality models in the timeframe.
All great entries, although I'm not a big fan of looking at poo despite how well it is modeled :D

Hope I can find the time this week its a great topic. Once I settle in to this new job a bit I might be able to sit here for more than 10 minutes and im sure going to need the practice now.

If your ok with posting the collar model R.Feeney I would love to check it out, no big deal though.
Heres the dodgy one I made.

Kuzey
04-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Well done R.Feeney :hey:

I'm just wondering if you will run out of ideas soon or is that list of yours never ending :D

Kuzey

RollerJesus
04-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Congrats Feeney, well done on that collar!

R.Feeney
04-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys, I think I will sit out the next few challenges before I really start to annoy everyone:D
I will post the collar soonish, a bit stressed at the moment to do anything. Someone tried to break in here last night and I`m a bit on edge to go sorting files.

But I will post it.

robert_Lavigne
04-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a rough start to a day. Nice collar though.

adamredwoods
04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Great Job!
RFeeney, you should keep entering, but we'll impose a 10 min time reduction every time you win a challenge, until you only have time enough to sub-d a cube. :D

IMI
04-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Congrats (again) R.Feeney!

I'm gonna have to copy that into a text file and save it so I don't have to keep typing it. ;)

Nah, don't sit out from any of the challenges! Your models are always excellent, plus you're making it...err, challenging. ;)

Iain
04-16-2009, 02:44 PM
It's a stitch up!
:)
Well done-well deserved again. Sorry to hear about the break in.

As Sammael said, there were great ffx and rendering entries but the modelling is the important bit.

R.Feeney
04-16-2009, 06:08 PM
:D
Bird cage and dog collar objects attached.

3DeeNut
04-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Sorry ive been out of the loop for a while. Work has me working like a lunatic. I hope to be getting more and more involved again. I miss entering these competitions. They are basically the only creative work i get to do these days. Anyhow nice entries all around.