PDA

View Full Version : I canít get QuickTime to work

lesterfoster
04-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I canít get QuickTime to work

I had my boot drive quit on me a few months back. I bought a new hard drive and have set it up and got my system up and going again. But I canít get quicktime to work.

I have downloaded and installed it many times. As well as I-tunes. But however I canít get either of them to work.

Any one have any suggestions on what I can do to get it to work?

I am running Win XP 64 bit. It worked flawlessly before. So why caní I get it to work now?

akademus
04-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Have you downloaded 64bit version of it. It's somewhat tricky to find as regular download page leads to ordinary version.

Might help

cresshead
04-09-2009, 02:17 AM
as a workaround use VLC player

you could also try an older version of quicktime installer..a newer version may not work on xp64 as xp64 maybe regarded as defunkt by apple as a o/s to develop for and replaced by vista by a couple of years now and soon windows 7

biliousfrog
04-09-2009, 02:22 AM
Have you downloaded 64bit version of it. It's somewhat tricky to find as regular download page leads to ordinary version.

Might help

I wasn't aware that there was a 64bit version? The 32bit version should work ok on xp64, I've not had any problems with it apart from the navigation bar being blacked out in browsers.

Perhaps search for an older version in case they have dropped XP support for the new versions?

I'm not sure of the current state of things but iTunes and Lightwave used to conflict during LW 8x cycle, we had a load of problems at my old job because of that. Personally, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than use iTunes so I haven't had any problems but it might be worth installing QT without iTunes to see if you have any luck.

BigHache
04-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I wasn't aware that there was a 64bit version? The 32bit version should work ok on xp64, I've not had any problems with it apart from the navigation bar being blacked out in browsers.

Perhaps search for an older version in case they have dropped XP support for the new versions?

I'm not sure of the current state of things but iTunes and Lightwave used to conflict during LW 8x cycle, we had a load of problems at my old job because of that. Personally, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than use iTunes so I haven't had any problems but it might be worth installing QT without iTunes to see if you have any luck.

Neither was I aware of x64 versions. I get black bar as well.

I'm running iTunes 7.6.2.9 and QT 7.5 and both run fine (well, as fine as they will run). iTunes 8 is out but I have not installed that.

I have not seen any issues with iTunes and LW on my XP Pro x64 system.

praa
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
it's a apple installer updater problem

the twits at apple update quictime-itunes with the 32 bit versions and... it doesn't work

you must uninstall quicktime and go to apple's web site to manually find the right installer for your system

you should therefore disable auto-update from apple stuff since they are twits

:)

The Dommo
04-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Apple... no surprises there.... the joy...

BigHache
04-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Probably the same folks at the Idi(cough)Genius Bar. :D

Burchigb
04-10-2009, 03:33 AM
I have no problem with the x64 version. I am running Vista 64.
Itunes and QT 8.1

hrgiger
04-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I hate QT. Unfortunately, I have to have it as so many people insist on using it. I have the lovely black bar on my QT as well now.