PDA

View Full Version : 64bit vs 32bit...Dynamics, UB, Cocoa......

lwanmtr
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Ok, so I'm running a cloth sim on my 8 core Mac pro and noticed it really wasnt calculating much faster than my 2 core Macbook Pro...so I loaded up CPU monitor and lo and behold..it's not using all the cpu's (see pics)..

A while back I was told that LW was using all the CPU's for that kind of stuff..but clearly it is not..at least not on Mac. I had a friend load the scene into his LW64 on Vista, and it was using all the cpu's at about 40%

Soooo.......if this is a limitation of 32bit, then isn't that yet another reason to fastrack the 64bit cocoa version of 9.6? I mean, it's gonna be a while before Core is production ready anyway, so why not get cocoa out the door so you can focus on core and we can live in 64bit goodness on Mac? :)

littlewaves
04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with 32 vs 64 bit. I think it's just that the dynamics calculations are not multi threaded.

It'd be great if they changed that but I don't see it happening now outside of core. 64 bit version or not.

Someone please correct me if I'm talking bollox.

lwanmtr
04-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, like I said, on the winblows version the dynamics are hitting all cpu's

littlewaves
04-14-2009, 05:10 AM
Well, like I said, on the winblows version the dynamics are hitting all cpu's

so dynamics ARE multithreaded on PC but not on the mac? Chilton??

is it just the 64bit LW on windows that works multithreaded for dynamics or 32 bit also?

Also 40% of each CPU doesn't sound too great but I guess on a quad or 8 core it makes a difference rather than having 1 cpu running at 90% or thereabouts.

I'm only on a core 2 duo but if I could use both cpus on that for dynamics (assuming I could get considerably better than 40%) it'd speed me up a lot.

I kind of feel that a lot more of 9.x should have been made multithreaded before they called a halt to its development in favor of core.

As the final version of core is still a long way off I think they should address some of these short comings. Fair enough they don't want to be adding new features to the old version but optimizing the existing features would be good while everyone waits for core.

It's not like multi-core processors are really a new thing anymore.

Kuzey
04-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Soooo.......if this is a limitation of 32bit, then isn't that yet another reason to fastrack the 64bit cocoa version of 9.6? I mean, it's gonna be a while before Core is production ready anyway, so why not get cocoa out the door so you can focus on core and we can live in 64bit goodness on Mac? :)

Haha...I think the better question is which will be released first, LW 9.6 64bit or the Core. I'm thinking it'll be about the same time...in the 4Q :hey:

When it does see the light of day, it better be the most solid version yet and a million times better than the 32bit version. :D

Kuzey

lwanmtr
04-14-2009, 03:29 PM
I hope that is not the case....We've been promised 64bit for too long...I understand they had to switch gears to cocoa for it, but I still think it needs a little more priority than it has gotten.

Of course, they still havent even told us wether it will be a freebie for current 9.x users or if you'll have to pay for it....

Kuzey
04-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Just trying to light a little fire under our good old friend Chilton :D

All depends really, did work on the LW9.6 64bit stop when the 32bit went gold and hasn't started up again. Or...has development continued and therefore is much closer to release. Is it being built in X Code or with QT?

These things will have an impact on when it gets completed, I'm guessing it's not even available for Core members yet.

As for the price, I still think it would be free when it gets out. Otherwise, it'll damage Newtek's reputation. What can they possibly say, you have choice...either stick with the free LW9.6 32bit (but buggy as hell) or you can cough up the cash and get the bug free 64bit version :hey:

Kuzey

dsol
04-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Is it being built in X Code or with QT?

Xcode I think we can safely assume - rebuilding Lightwave 9.6 to use a new user interface (QT) is not on the agenda and nor should it be.

Xcode is an IDE for developing full apps - QT is a set of cross-platform user interface... um... things :) QT is more like a plug-in for Xcode (and Visual Studio on the PC side)

Kuzey
04-15-2009, 06:58 AM
If I remember, one of the reasons for the 64bit code delay is that Apple was dragging their feet with the OS. As a result, using X Code would mean it would be a very long time before we can get a true 64 bit app without using hacks and what not. I believe it was one major reason for the move to QT, the other being the cross platform aspect.

Kuzey

dsol
04-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Nope, the delay is entirely to do with Apple dropping their planned 64bit Carbon UI support for the final release of 10.5. It's not Apple dragging their feet - it's a change in direction. Or an enforced roadmap to Cocoa, so to speak.

There's plenty of other threads here talking about the issue in greater detail.

dsol
04-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Anyway, back to the interesting topic - Multithreaded dynamics exist on Windows? Hmmm... I've only been using the mac version for ages now so it'd be great if anyone else could verify this (Mac Bootcamp users could also run speed comparisons to see if it makes any difference!)

Kuzey
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Nope, the delay is entirely to do with Apple dropping their planned 64bit Carbon UI support for the final release of 10.5. It's not Apple dragging their feet - it's a change in direction. Or an enforced roadmap to Cocoa, so to speak.

There's plenty of other threads here talking about the issue in greater detail.

Well...either way, I knew it was something to do with Apple. However, the effect is still the same and that what matters to most people...no 64 bit LW.

:D

Kuzey

avkills
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
We don't have 64bit Photoshop and AfterEffects for the same reason.

-mark

lwanmtr
04-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, my friend is using Vista via Bootcamp, and Like i said was hitting all the cpu's at about 40% each...the speed of the calculation was around 5 seconds per frame, whereas I was getting about 30 seconds per frame..on basically the same model MacPro..so, there is a difference between the windows and mac versions in that respect.

As for 64bit Mac LW...some word would be nice. I know they reduced the amount of development on it during the final phases of 9.6 beta...but how much effort is being put in now? Is it all going into Core? (of course, the jaded side of me says that they'll keep telling us it's coming even if it's not...hehe).

dsol
04-16-2009, 04:38 AM
the lightwave 9.6 OSX Cocoa version (64bit) is apparently being worked on by different team members to those working on Core. It's possible I suppose that those mac-specific people might be focusing on any initial OSX specific bugs in Core in these early days. Once those are dealt with, Core should be pretty much platform agnostic (at least from a development perspective).

But Chilton's already said that Core development won't hold up LW64UB and I trust his word :)