PDA

View Full Version : HD instance glitches

biliousfrog
04-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm having problems with HD Instance (see attached) where the instances appear as blocks in certain areas.

The two images use different instancing but they are both getting the blocks along the top-left edge of the model.

I have tried with/without radiosity, raytracing, AA, AS...etc.

I'm using LW9.6 64bit on XP 64bit

Has anyone experienced this? I've contacted Graham but no response yet.

dmack
04-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Dynamic Mem Cache? Not a particularly informed suggestion, I'll admit, but something that I'd look into if you haven't already.

I'm kind of hoping for an update to HD Instance - there are a few issues with transparency etc...

biliousfrog
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I thought about mem cache, it seemed to work then it didn't on the next render...maybe wack it up a bit more.

lwanmtr
04-09-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm not sure what to be looking for....there is too much detail going on to notice whatever the problem is.

Nice looking, though :)

dmack
04-09-2009, 04:26 AM
OK, how about splitting the 'emitter' item into three or more, so that each one has less instances. Might just be a start...

biliousfrog
04-09-2009, 04:59 AM
OK, how about splitting the 'emitter' item into three or more, so that each one has less instances. Might just be a start...

One of the images has just one emitter, the other has four :)

archijam
04-09-2009, 05:22 AM
HD I 1.8, or 2? Haven't seen this before.

biliousfrog
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM

I've tried everything I can think of and keep getting the same results

SteveH
04-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Are your cloned objects - do they have transparency maps on them? If so - try switching to clip maps. I've had thatsame problem on some tree objects I cloned.

biliousfrog
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Are your cloned objects - do they have transparency maps on them? If so - try switching to clip maps. I've had thatsame problem on some tree objects I cloned.

No, they're completely polygonal objects. It's good to hear that someone else had this problem even if it seems unrelated...perhaps it's a memory issue? I'll get some more tests done this week to see if I can fix it.

BTW, the support response was, 'what version of HD Instance are you using?'...that was last week, I haven't heard anything since. Personally, I'm not very impressed with the support as I've hit a problem on the first project and I haven't had anything helpful from Happy Digital, not even things to try.

SteveH
04-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I recently had problems with HD Instance where I had two different trees I was using to cover a large river bank. One worked fine - the other kind of rendered (warning techno speak ahead) screwed up. I was facing a huge deadline and sent Graham an email asking for help. It took him a few days to get back to me and by that time I'd just decided to render with only one tree instead of two types.

I'm not sure what to expect for technical support on plug ins. It's not like we are spending thousands on a plug in so I don't expect the maker to be waiting with fingers poised over the keyboard waiting to help me. On the other hand some, like Mike Wolf (Infinimap) are outstanding - so he sets the bar too high for everyone else perhaps.

dmack
04-14-2009, 07:58 AM
There is a 2.0.5. Tried that?

biliousfrog
04-14-2009, 10:39 AM
There is a 2.0.5. Tried that?

Actually, I'm using 2.0.6...don't know why I said an older version?

I'm now looking to see whether I've done something silly but I just installed the plugin that they sent which is the latest version. :stumped:

dmack
04-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh, what's new in the version? I thought 2.0.5 was the latest?

biliousfrog
04-18-2009, 04:06 AM
Oh, what's new in the version? I thought 2.0.5 was the latest?

I couldn't tell you, I haven't used an older version.

It seems that the problem is something to do with using a weight map on the scaling. Not quite sure what but I've disabled it and, so far, the problem has gone. I did have to change some other options so it might resurface at a later date...we'll see. The affected area has the same weight value as other areas so I'm not sure why it only happened there...that's what's confusing me.

dmack
04-21-2009, 02:10 AM
Are all points merged? I wonder if the weightmap is corrupted in some way.

biliousfrog
04-21-2009, 03:12 AM
The points are all merged, I'm just going without at the moment as I've run out of time with this project. I've found another bug that the instances still render even when HD Instance is unchecked on the object.