PDA

View Full Version : If your boss knew how much time you spend posting on the forums...

shrox
04-08-2009, 05:36 AM
How much trouble would you be in if your boss found out how much time you spend posting on the forums? MinesOK with if I am rendering, or waiting for something to calculate.

lino.grandi
04-08-2009, 06:49 AM
I am my boss.

meshpig
04-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Manage up!

It's within the National BS factor where you can apparently calculate the effect of an employee's late lunch break by 2.5 minutes in terms of the GNP but not the effect of incompetent and lazy management, their pissy 3 hour lunch breaks or the $190 000 dinners for half a dozen CEO's.

m:)

shrox
04-08-2009, 07:07 AM
I read a story the other day that people allowed to surf the web while at work actually produce more and are more effective. Some attributed that to the obvious (ability to get information quickly), others said it's because the work environment is then more pleasurable and comfortable.

biliousfrog
04-08-2009, 07:08 AM
My previous boss would get a bit grumpy if we took the piss too much but he knew that he was more dependant on us than we were of him so he'd just make a snide comment on his way past. We were pretty good really, only on forums to ask technical questions or when things were quiet or rendering but you could guarantee that every time he came into the room we'd be online...but the work was always on time and usually beyond expectations so he didn't have much to complain about.

The funniest thing I saw regarding internet at work was at a previous job producing artwork and ads for newspapers. A woman who worked part-time would turn up at 10am, collect an ad from the 'to do' tray, put it on a stand next to her computer and go on ebay. At 4pm she would take the ad off the stand, put it into the 'to do' tray and go home. She had worked there for years and everyone thought she was the best thing since sliced bread. I wanted to drop her in it when I left but I couldn't see the point...I did mention it to someone a year later in a pub and I heard that she left shortly after so I wonder whether she was investigated. She had a pretty good run though.

Nangleator
04-08-2009, 07:49 AM
I knew a supervisor once who was so insistent that work be uncomfortable that he refused to let workers sit down during a particular task. It didn't matter that the work got done more quickly by workers who could sit down. Discomfort was more important than efficiency. Constant motion was more important than accuracy.

I knew of a professor who insisted his grad students always be collecting data in the lab. He didn't want them at their desks actually analyzing the data, or using any of it for, you know, science stuff. Sitting at desks didn't look like work. Running lasers in the labs looked like work. His poor grad students would go to conferences and read off pages of data with no analysis or conclusions, to the great amusement of their peers.

Titus
04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
I don't have internet connection at work.

shrox
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
From the poll it looks like most Lightwavers have it good at work.

Matt
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
There should be version of the forums designed to look like a Word or Excel document, that would be stealth on legs!

Nangleator
04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Hah! Remember the 'boss key' on those games in the late 80's, early 90's?

COBRASoft
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
There should be version of the forums designed to look like a Word or Excel document, that would be stealth on legs!

Therefor I've made my CORE Office theme already :)

Nah, I'm my own boss too, so no problem there. I believe that the internet can provide information faster for some people, but it can also distract the worker a lot. Websites like Facebook should be closed in a working environment if you ask me. Forums such as this one could really give the information a person is looking for and save a lot of time this way.

ro-ry
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
my boss just beside me right now

JeffrySG
04-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I am my own boss too. :)

But if previous boss' knew they might be a little upset. But it never stopped me from doing all of my work on time and it also keeps me in the know with different software. It does have to do with what many of us do for work.

Matt
04-08-2009, 12:57 PM
my boss just beside me right now

lol :D

art
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
our network admin probably knows that I spend too much time here, but I'm a good friends with him ;)