PDA

View Full Version : NewTek: Please fix the search feature or at least remove it

Weetos
04-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Yet another complaint about the broken search feature

This is really getting frustrating, If you don't plan on fixing this, at least please remove the links to it - I 've been caught once again in this booby trap, thinking it might have been fixed - but it's NOT

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't believe no results can be found when searching for the words 'volumetrics' and 'reflection', especially when google finds this : http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39942

So, to those who are reading this, if you want to perform a search based on keywords, your only option at the moment is to use google with the 'site' parameter set to www.newtek.com

walfridson
04-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Search using wildcard AND:
volumetric AND reflection

gives me 73 results

colkai
04-08-2009, 03:49 AM
I'm getting 'double arrows' on the forum headers too, dunno what that's all about.

F_GX
04-08-2009, 04:32 AM
Where the heck is the "search my posts" anyway"?
Formerly i could find it in the statistics tab, but that seems to have vanished now, too.

shrox
04-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Yes, it can be a bit finicky it seems, I get nothing one time, then a bunch on a second try.

Iain
04-08-2009, 05:02 AM
And can you please do something about my monitor?!!!
It's not very good!!!!

Aaarggghh.............

shrox
04-08-2009, 05:07 AM
And can you please do something about my monitor?!!!
It's not very good!!!!

Aaarggghh.............

Before you get to Iain's monitor, I need a good chair.

akademus
04-08-2009, 05:21 AM
I want a chair too. Mine is weirdly leaning to the left side lately.

For neverko:
you get a free t-shirt (http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/free-hugs-world-champion-****-hugger/)
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a1214/a1214_bm.gif

:D

shrox
04-08-2009, 05:23 AM
You don't know where that hug has been!

Weetos
04-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Glad you guys think I'm whining... I gave it a try again and it found only one thread... this thread actually. WTF ? I guess most people don't care - great - but as far as I'm concerned this pisses me off - especially when I'm facing a problem, running out of time on a project and that I know the answer is somewhere in there but can't seem to find it because that search thing doesn't want to work.

Also consider that some users, including newbies, may need to search the forum before posting a question, which can prevent from posting 50 times the same questions - I don't see what's wrong with my request ???

Weetos
04-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Update: Using the search menu item in the header (the one Colkai told about) seems to work (the one located below, which is the one I was using, don't.)

shrox
04-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Glad you guys think I'm whining... I gave it a try again and it found only one thread... this thread actually. WTF ? I guess most people don't care - great - but as far as I'm concerned this pisses me off - especially when I'm facing a problem, running out of time on a project and that I know the answer is somewhere in there but can't seem to find it because that search thing doesn't want to work.

Also consider that some users, including newbies, may need to search the forum before posting a question, which can prevent from posting 50 times the same questions - I don't see what's wrong with my request ???

Nothing's wrong with your request, and I don't think you are whining.

Weetos
04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Nothing's wrong with your request, and I don't think you are whining.
I know shrox, no prob - I was refering to some other posts, that were a bit sarcastic ;)

SBowie
04-08-2009, 08:07 AM
I must be doing something wrong (or right?) ... I can't get it to misbehave.

Weetos
04-08-2009, 08:11 AM
lol maybe you're doing it right ;) the last test I ran reported no results - the problem seems to be related to the advanced search form - when I'm using the little search box that pops up, it works just fine.

SBowie
04-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm using the advanced search. Could you post a screenshot of a setup which fails for you? I'm thinking maybe you unwittingly have some optional filter set that is causing the apparent problem.

Weetos
04-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm using the advanced search. Could you post a screenshot of a setup which fails for you? I'm thinking maybe you unwittingly have some optional filter set that is causing the apparent problem.

I attached two screenshots : one with no results (using the advanced search form) - and one that works (using the simple form)

Thanks for your help.

SBowie
04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Man, that's weird. I did the exact same search afaics, and got 38 hits in about 1.5 seconds. Must be something .... maybe just for laughs, try a different browser?

Weetos
04-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Well I've tried with IE6, Safari 4 and Google Chrome : same results - that's really weird

Would it be some web content caching feature somewhere between my computer and NT's servers that would play tricks on me ? I don't use any proxy or any content caching engine on my side ...

SBowie
04-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Or perhaps some sort of subtle language-based difference in the characters entered that is giving the search engine fits. But that wouldn't explain why the same string works in the other (simple) search feature. Be interesting to cut and paste the (successful) search string from that one to the advanced one.

JMCarrigan
04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I bethca Weetos that they were just trying to buck you up, make ya feel better. I know they had me laughing.