PDA

View Full Version : 9.6 zoom visualization bug

maunissan
04-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Hi, i changed my computer for a brand newa few days ago and i installed the 9.6 lightwave. I opened a project in modeler and had some problems when i use the zoom. when I increase the zoom, the objects in angle are engulfed in a gray background and desapear... the closer I get, more they desapear... this doest happen with simple objetcs, so i think could be a performance problem...

i have a core 2 quad q6600 4gb - nvidia 9800 gtx plus

can someone helpe me to configure lightwave to solve this problem???

tks,

shrox
04-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Probably your Z clipping plane, not a bug. Under display preferences turn off "Fixed Near Clip Dist." That or your grid is too small or large.

shrox
04-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Oops, sorry, that's layout. In modeler, I am not sure.

3DGFXStudios
04-06-2009, 04:51 AM
I think you need to place your center point better. If you keep zooming you'll get that clipping effect.

biliousfrog
04-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Just answered this in the other post:

You're probably too close to the object and going through the mesh or it's being clipped.

A simple solution is to select a couple of points or a polygon near to the area you wish to zoom into and select ctrl+a which will zoom you into that area and reset the clip distance...you can then move around the viewport without a problem.

maunissan
04-06-2009, 06:26 AM
hummm sorry but how can I change the center point?

i tried to change the perspective amount and i had less cliping effect but i got a quiet strange view...

crlt a didnt work.. not centered the selection... worked as "a"....lol

biliousfrog
04-06-2009, 06:33 AM
sorry, Shift+a is center selection

I just hit the keys now without looking, ctrl and shift are just those two keys in the corner :D

maunissan
04-06-2009, 06:42 AM
hahah yep...now it worked!!! very nice....thank you very much...

so, is not a performance problem after all?

biliousfrog
04-06-2009, 07:10 AM
hahah yep...now it worked!!! very nice....thank you very much...

so, is not a performance problem after all?

No, when using the perspective view you're kinda using a camera to navigate and when you get too close you can intersect the model just like you would in Layout with a camera. There's also the problem of clipping when an object is too close or far away from the 'camera' but it is usually only on very large objects or when the object is a long way from the origin.

The issue of objects that are a long way from the origin is a pain but I'm sure that I've heard that it's a problem in all 3d packages. The further that an object is from the origin, the less zoom you have...it's only really noticable with huge objects or when an object is imported from another package and the scale is out. The solution is to center the object (F2) or rest on ground (F3) and then you'll have the full zoom range again.

shrox
04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
However, unless it's UV mapped, centering will change the textures.

F_GX
04-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Nope, it's about centering the view of the object, that doesn't move the actual object (a for center everything and shift+a for center selection).