PDA

View Full Version : Dropping frames when switching with RS-8

RandyG
04-05-2009, 07:09 PM
When I switch inputs via the RS-8, I'm getting two dropped frames every time. Anyone know what causes this?

Nille
04-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Yes, me too!

Was just about to tear my system apart, and replacing my tyan tiger and the two opteron 265's, thinking that vt5 needs more oumph...
thought about building it around an i7.
But if you are experiencing the same issue......

My problem is that i can switch properly, but whatever gets recorded internally, via capture, is missing a couple of frames in every cut.

Is my system fast enough for vt5?

SBowie
04-07-2009, 06:05 AM
If your cameras aren't genlocked, I think there is room for some small theoretical loss on a switch regardless of hardware capabilities.

Nille
04-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Wierd thing is that no frameskip is visible on the hardware output on the sx84, and if i record on a separate deck, then it is fine, but the internally recorded file is much shorter if i have a lot of cuts.... and the audio pops in the cuts too....

SBowie
04-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Are you recording from Main, or Program output?

RandyG
04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Recording from Program Out instead of Main Out was the solution.

Gilsonleandro
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I donīt know if I understood right, but Iīm having a similar issue here with my VT5 version 5.2b

Everytime I cut from DDR to live camera or vice versa it cut some frames. I donīt know if it is a software or a hardware problem.

I upgrade from VT4, (only software) and I increase ram from 1 G to 4G, but I use windows XP Pro 32bit and my system recognize only 2,5G of ram memory.

anyone has a problem like this?

tks a lot

SBowie
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Did you try what the post just above yours suggested?

Gilsonleandro
04-29-2009, 12:26 PM
SBowie, are you talking about me trying change record main out instead of program out??
If it is, sorry, not yeat, but I will today, ando post the result here

tks a lot

SBowie
04-29-2009, 12:42 PM
To be clear - you should try recording Program Out, if you are not already doing so.

Gilsonleandro
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Well, I was using program out already, in VT5 there is no Main out only main in, acctualy I donīt remember if VT4 there was main out.
Anyway, Iīm still having the same issue, everytime I cut from DDR to live camera or vice-versa, it cut some frames, and we just see it because of the audio, When I cut from DDR to livecamera and the reporter star to talk it cut his first syllables.
I look at the preferences panel, there is not any configuration for that.

hope solve this soon.

tks a lot

SBowie
04-29-2009, 02:26 PM
there is no Main out only main inCorrect.

hope solve this soon.You might test always doing a Take from Program to Preview, rather than merely hot-punching on the main row.

Gilsonleandro
04-29-2009, 03:03 PM
I always do that...
When I say that I cut, I acctually hit "take" on RS8, sometimes I hit "auto" on RS8 when I want a slower transition.
This could be a hardware problem??

SBowie
04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I always do that...OK, thanks - something else then.

This could be a hardware problem??Not sure, honestly. You say you don't see the problem, but it shows up in the recorded file, right?

Gilsonleandro
04-29-2009, 03:29 PM
That's right, itīs just some frames, almost a second, but the main issue is the audio that cut just the beginning

SBowie
04-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Have you done any speed tests on your video array lately? (I presume you are recording to an array, and that your cache is pointed at a fast drive too).

Gilsonleandro
04-29-2009, 04:13 PM
I was testing doing some cuts here and I realize what is the problem, I just donīt know why.
Iīm using the Mixer automation discused in page 259 in VT5 manual Pdf file. if I donīt use the follow setting the problem doesnīt happen. Only when Iīm using follow presets the audio cut the beginning.
By the way, we have here 2 VT5 and thatīs happening in both.

Nille
05-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Yep, turning off automation makes it happen a lot less.
Something is wrong with it in 5.2b, and it lost me a client :(
The way i used automation for that shoot was cam 1,2 and 3 had the same audio settings and ddr had it's own, hence the automation..... BUT frames were lost during the entire shoot between the cameras. So i had dialogue going with 2-4, sometimes more frames lost in each cut.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Yep, turning off automation makes it happen a lot less.
Something is wrong with it in 5.2b, and it lost me a client :(
The way i used automation for that shoot was cam 1,2 and 3 had the same audio settings and ddr had it's own, hence the automation..... BUT frames were lost during the entire shoot between the cameras. So i had dialogue going with 2-4, sometimes more frames lost in each cut.

Do the NewTek engineers have any knowledge of this matter, Nille? I would file a bug report at Fogbugz if I were you. That could well be remedied if the right people took a look at it.

Need a link to NewTek's Fogbugz site? Try this one:
https://secure.newtek.com/fogbugz/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

Nille
05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I hope not, with them not telling us ;)
Will try to file a bug report, when I see if tomorrows gig (with automation OFF) - goes well.
As a test this afternoon I genlocked the VT5 to one of the cameras and the other cameras from loop out, but with automation on which I at the time did not suspect as a culprit - the problem was worse/same.
Using SX-SDI as input - so I need 5.2b for the tally fix.

SBowie
05-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I checked, and found one bug report that - although different - looks like it might be related. I sent a note to the Engineer looking into it with a link to this thread. However you should definitely file your own bug report too.

Nille
05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Yes, success!
Todays job went without a dropped frame.
Mixer automation was off.
As a note - I tested a bit before the shoot with automation on / off and indeed, automation makes the recording skip a few frames a couple of frames every cut no matter what quality i record (even NT25).
Going to file a bugreport as soon as I figure out how to....

Nille
10-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Problem is back.....

I have built a new computer but it still happens "sometimes" and it is on the recorded file, and on tape from firewire out (program out), analogue program out is fine, no dropped frames.
I'm getting the feeling that I have a bad board or SX84, how do I send them for a check-up here in europe?