PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL 3.0

IMI
04-05-2009, 07:38 AM
I just realized we're up to OpenGL 3.0 now. Just happened to notice it while looking at drivers.
With Nvidia it seems to have started with the 182.06 driver release in mid February. I have no idea about ATI...

I'm currently using the 182.08 drivers from early March for my 8800 GTS. Not sure if I noticed a difference with OpenGL 3.0 over 2.1 or whatever it was prior. Does anyone know what advantages we may hope to see with OpenGL 3.0 in our 3D apps that use OGL? I mean, what does this make possible that we couldn't do before?
Assuming the programmers cooperate, that is. ;)

The 182.08 Vista x64 (March 3rd 2009) driver seems to be the best they've put out so far, at least for *my* video card. No problems that I've seen in any games or apps so far at least. They just released the 182.50 driver a couple days ago, btw.

The Dommo
04-05-2009, 08:02 AM
I think OGL 3.1 will be out soon too :)

Weetos
04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
IMI> haven't upgraded yet, did you notice any performance improvements in 3d apps ?

IMI
04-05-2009, 03:40 PM
IMI> haven't upgraded yet, did you notice any performance improvements in 3d apps ?

I can't tell, really.
As for the drivers, well, the March 3rd 182.08 (OGL 3.0) driver from Nvidia is totally stable in all my games and LW and Modo 302 and Deep Exploration and other apps. I don't see any noticeable speed increase, but certainly no degradation either.
But that's just the driver. OpenGL 3.0 undoubtedly has more capability than 2.0, but it won't matter any unless it's being programmed for, I suppose. I don't think LW ever got close to catching up to 2.0 for that matter.

Weetos
04-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I can't tell, really.
As for the drivers, well, the March 3rd 182.08 (OGL 3.0) driver from Nvidia is totally stable in all my games and LW and Modo 302 and Deep Exploration and other apps. I don't see any noticeable speed increase, but certainly no degradation either.
But that's just the driver. OpenGL 3.0 undoubtedly has more capability than 2.0, but it won't matter any unless it's being programmed for, I suppose. I don't think LW ever got close to catching up to 2.0 for that matter.
that makes sense I guess no app can currently take advantage of it at the moment - thanks for the heads up and the feedback, IMI ;)

warmiak
04-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I mean, what does this make possible that we couldn't do before?

Mostly hardware based vertex transformations ... what it means is generally much faster object manipulation.

OpenGL tends to be reactive as opposed to being innovative ( the way DirectX is) and thus what you see mostly is OpenGL specs catching up with hardware capabilities ( which are generally driven either by the latest version of DirectX or simply by hardware guys imagination)

In other words, most of that functionality is already present in direct X 10 cards furthermore, there are even various OpenGL extensions which allow even OpenGL developers to access them.
So in essence, what OpenGL 3.0 does is making it easier for devs to use these features without worrying about checking for 3rd party extensions etc ..

IMI
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for that information, warmiak. :)

Larry_g1s
04-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Where can one download the latest OpenGL for their card, is it with the latest cards driver or separate? I'm on ATI Radeon HD 3850 by the way.

akademus
04-09-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm sad to see SGI, creators of OpenGL, go down. They made such a contribution to the world of CGI. (too many acronyms in here :) )

erikals
04-09-2009, 12:27 PM
first Commodore,... now SGI,...

well, they will always have the name http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif